Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Why I won't buy a MINI - yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009 | 08:23 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by markjenn
Ah, this might have something to do with the 1st gen cars being 3-7 years old vs. 1-2 years old for the 2nd gen. And that there are probably 2x or 3x more people on here with 1st gen cars vs. 2nd gen cars.If you're going to use a statistical measure to make a conclusion, you've got to normalize the data!- Mark
Well if someone can find the N/A production data for both gen cars thru last year, then we can attempt to "normalize" the data and compare. And how do you know there are x more amount of 1st gen cars "on here" than x amount of second gen? 2 to 3 times you say? Data? Remember the first few years only about 30,000 MINIs were sent to NA per year because BMW wanted to keep numbers low and demand high; were you even around in 2003 when wait lists at some locales approached 3 years? (I think the total # of first gen cars thru 2006 MY sent to N/A was around 185,000, plus however many 07-08 cabrios).

I never claimed perfection or data completeness, it was simply an observation as to the comparative number of posts. However, if U trace Consumer Reports reliability data from 2002 to 2008, you WILL see an incremental improvement from 1st gen to 2nd gen, to the point that one issue last spring had the MINI Cooper in lofty territory with only 2 other cars that carried solid red dots across the board for reliability, resale value, and customer satisfaction, the Prius and Fit, for the first time ever.

So while I never claimed my data was perfect, the 2nd gen car is more reliable, better built, and less quirky than the first gen,while the product, as a whole, has steadily impoved since 2002. I see this in my current car, when compared to my previous, and any SA across America will tell you this: while some issues persist, there are much fewer warranty chargebacks now because BMW has worked hard to improve the product

Let's see, 1st gen: the entire problematic steering system, inc pumps, racks, fans; drivetrain (clutches and flywheels, CVT, axle housings/CV joints), engine mount leaks, door sill rust, spontaeneous combustion (see steering), persistent engine stumble, bonnet and hatch latching issues, leaking coolant tanks, electrical gremlins, wobbly headlights (see bonnet latching) windshield stress cracks, loud dash rattles (to the point that they had to go from 5 to 3 piece after 04), failed fuel pumps, mushrooming strut towers, warped moonroof cassettes, the usual BMW window issues, door latch cables, cabrio soft tops premature wear-thru, etc etc the list could go on...

2nd gen: hood scoop warp, the so-called cold start rattle, clutches/flywheels, fuel line freezups (Heet, anyone? ), moonroof problems, the usual BMW window issues, occasional TPMS sensor problems, and leg burns from tailpipes are the only major repeat issues Ive read about...

If anyone can add to either please do so.

Last edited by sequence; 02-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2009 | 10:47 AM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ve3hzz
Well I like Guinness as well we have that in common. Hope it's ingested at room temperature
Oh man, I don't go that far!

As any computer troubleshooter of software issues. Lots of times it's the interaction of many factors and interplay that may cause the issue. ... Most troubleshooting at the dealer level is not very well done these days. Sorry if this offends anyone but most modern "Mechanics" are parts changers as this makes the dealerships more money. ...the manufacturer can't reproduce it without the car in question which I doubt they rarely see!!!
Very true. Further, reports from mechanics in the field can be very unreliable and inconsistent. I do not envy mfrs trying to troubleshoot problems involving systems using sourced components when they have little access. It really is difficult.

You can always wait till they bring there SUVMINI to market (if they do?)
You used the appropriate face for that suggestion

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2009 | 12:00 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Well if someone can find the N/A production data for both gen cars thru last year, then we can attempt to "normalize" the data and compare. And how do you know there are x more amount of 1st gen cars "on here" than x amount of second gen? 2 to 3 times you say? Data?
You made the claim that you can infer reliability data based on numbers of problem posts, so the burden is on you, not me, to normalize the data. I'm simply pointing out the obvious - that there are easily more than twice as many Gen1 cars built as Gen2 and that the average age of the Gen1 cars is more than twice as long as the Gen2. It doesn't take a master degree in statistics to know that a conclusion about reliability based on relative "number of problem posts" on this board is wildly biased.

I dont have access to the latest CR data, but up until a year or so ago, it showed generally average reliabilty across the board except for the problematic first couple of years with no significant change between the Gen1 and Gen2 cars. If you've got more detailed data, I'd like to see it.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 02-07-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2009 | 12:05 PM
diablito
5th Gear
I only have read the first page and last ... but going by your user name you should be comfortable with the MINI HT or CM and dealing with special cars....You have or had a Lotus?

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious............. I had an exigeS.

If you like the MINI go and get one...is a fantastic little car.

Old 02-07-2009 | 04:21 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I see no MINI in OP's future.

Old 02-07-2009 | 08:54 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
I see no MINI in OP's future.
LotusLight

I do not see the Mini in your future either but hope that when you feel more comfortable, you will jump in and also join our forum. Perhaps we can see you on the track some time soon as well.

Good luck with your car decision. I am glad you are well informed.

Old 02-07-2009 | 10:08 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
LotusLight

I do not see the Mini in your future either but hope that when you feel more comfortable, you will jump in and also join our forum. Perhaps we can see you on the track some time soon as well.

Good luck with your car decision. I am glad you are well informed.
Thanks! Track days would be fun. My convertible Lotus does not have a roll bar, so track days are out of the question at present. Even with a roll bar, my head sticks well above where any roll bar would be, so track days might not be a good idea anyway. That would be one of the neat things about a Mini -track days! I could take a Dodge Viper! In the meantime, the street has no rules about roll bars - just obstacles like slow moving cars and speed traps. Yikes!

Old 02-07-2009 | 10:32 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LotusLight
Thanks! Track days would be fun. My convertible Lotus does not have a roll bar, so track days are out of the question at present. Even with a roll bar, my head sticks well above where any roll bar would be, so track days might not be a good idea anyway. That would be one of the neat things about a Mini -track days! I could take a Dodge Viper! In the meantime, the street has no rules about roll bars - just obstacles like slow moving cars and speed traps. Yikes!
LotusLight,

Which Lotus do you have? Is it the Elise or Exige?

I ran track with a 2005 Elise for 1 1/2 years a while ago. Many HPDE outfits would not let you run w/o the hardtop. Easy car to drive fast but a tough car to master on the track. It does not like large slip angles but rewards TBO and TTO when it is done well. Initially, I would not try to take too much HP or racing tires to the track. You would be able to learn a lot more with a "stock" momentum car like the Mini or the Lotus. I have seen, under expert professional driving, what the Lotus Elise can do and am impressed.

Good luck to you. The Mini is really a fun car. And it is easy to get in and out of it.

Old 02-07-2009 | 11:11 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
LotusLight,

Which Lotus do you have? Is it the Elise or Exige?

I ran track with a 2005 Elise for 1 1/2 years a while ago. Many HPDE outfits would not let you run w/o the hardtop. Easy car to drive fast but a tough car to master on the track. It does not like large slip angles but rewards TBO and TTO when it is done well. Initially, I would not try to take too much HP or racing tires to the track. You would be able to learn a lot more with a "stock" momentum car like the Mini or the Lotus. I have seen, under expert professional driving, what the Lotus Elise can do and am impressed.

Good luck to you. The Mini is really a fun car. And it is easy to get in and out of it.
Pm'd you. Yeah, the Elise is not the easiest car to exit, especially for a tall guy with very large feet. And Consumer Reports hates it (not comfortable!). Somebody posted a video taken from a Lotus which overtook a Mini on a track (cool video with all the stats - speed, rpm, etc). Watching it, my first thought was why was the Lotus going so slow. So, I watched it again and the Lotus did something like 10 seconds faster on the second lap. He was just warming up. No knock on the Mini, but Lotus has won an Indy 500 and the Elise is almost 1000 pounds lighter with more HP than the turbo Mini.

Old 02-08-2009 | 09:22 AM
sequence
6th Gear
yup. no MINI in yr future, dude.

Old 02-08-2009 | 09:41 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by im1hapa
I keep an eye on both the 1st & 2nd gen forums here on NAM, and the one thing that I can say that is pretty consistent is that the 'Stock Problems/Issues' section on the 2nd gen is a good deal shorter on a daily basis than the 1st gen equivalent forum. Not to say that there is a comparison to the two as far as problems go, but the 2nd gen forum is fairly small, with around 15-30 posts a day, usually focusing around the same things that seem to be issues with the second gen car, i.e. sunroof, cold-start rattle, hood scoop, etc.
Gee Markjenn how come y're not unfairly assailing this poster for this qualitative observation? This remark is the reason I decided to examine the number and frequency of posts between the two generation cars, nothing overly quantitative or analytical, because these two subforums are probably the most popular on NAM--people want to know what they are getting into, problem-and-reliability-wise. Not all of us are scientists and engineers and number crunchers that demand yr so-called "normalized" data, we just want critical car problem information presented in an easily understandable way.

Last edited by sequence; 02-08-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2009 | 10:09 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Somebody posted a video taken from a Lotus which overtook a Mini on a track (cool video with all the stats - speed, rpm, etc). Watching it, my first thought was why was the Lotus going so slow. So, I watched it again and the Lotus did something like 10 seconds faster on the second lap. He was just warming up. No knock on the Mini, but Lotus has won an Indy 500 and the Elise is almost 1000 pounds lighter with more HP than the turbo Mini.
You can buy 2 base Cooper S Turbo cars for the price of 1 base Elise. How can you even compare the two?

Did the Lotus Elise win the Indy 500? No. Then how can you compare that either? Using that logic, the Isuzu Impulse won the Indy 500 too because the suspension is Lotus designed.

Old 02-08-2009 | 12:19 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
You can buy 2 base Cooper S Turbo cars for the price of 1 base Elise. How can you even compare the two?

Did the Lotus Elise win the Indy 500? No. Then how can you compare that either? Using that logic, the Isuzu Impulse won the Indy 500 too because the suspension is Lotus designed.
Ooh, and Lotuses are drug runners since Lotus designed the DeLorean! And they do time travel too. I do miss that Joe Isuzu character too.

Seriously, who compared? I was just replying to a poster and commenting on a video which had a Lotus and Mini. My Indy reference was not clear: I meant that it was no sin for a Lotus to overtake a Mini on a track. Lotus has a long racing heritage, including an Indy 500 win and their cars clearly have that racing heritage designed in.

The current Lotuses are entirely different than a Mini and not a substitute. What they have in common is being zippy, nimble and fun to drive. Of course, I also remember a Honda 50cc minibike that was a lot of fun to drive too.

Old 02-09-2009 | 01:00 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
You have to go to the right person. See Jessica Confessore next time you hit the showroom. She is the best MINI salesperson they have. I'll be happy to let you have my name so she'll take good care of you

Originally Posted by boxtomini
Clubman

Glad to hear Lauderdale Mini service is good, because that is the dealership I have been visiting. I have been completely underwhelmed with the sales staff's knowledge of the cars and the options (at their BMW and Mini dealers), which is why I have hit these forums. I test drove the Clubman JCW they had out front and liked it a bunch. They didn't offer me enough for my trade (which I don't blame them for, it is the market) so I couldn't do anything with them at the time. Still have to sell my Box. The other car I am seriously considering is in the price range and will be a lot of fun to drive as well, and comes with its own list of quirks and dealer/warranty issues.

Old 02-09-2009 | 06:59 PM
boxtomini
1st Gear
Lotus

Have you driven the Evo X yet. Similar in price to a well optioned Mini with a bunch more HP and AWD.

They are a hoot!

Old 02-09-2009 | 07:57 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
i'm a new owner of a new MINI. wanted it badly since it first came out and had to hold off getting it for a number of reasons until recently. i absolutely love my car. the bliss i have owning it now made the wait well worth it. i'm the kind of MINI owner who waves, flashes a shaka or holds up a peace sign if another MINI approaches and there's a chance the owner can see me.

coming from that perspective--and perhaps this is dismissive--but to me, a nonchalant/dispassionate/dismissive potential MINI buyer shouldn't become a MINI owner. taking it further--and i'm very much for free speech (and note that right actually applies when it comes to government censorship)--it seems inane to me that someone would start a thread soliciting opinions on why you wouldn't buy a product on said product's forum. the OP might claim that it's mainly out of curiousity, and that might be so, but to this reader and lover of her MINI, that curiousity is laced with venom.

in my opinion, someone who takes the time to attempt collecting anti-MINI-purchasing opinions on a MINI board, and then write lengthy posts to chide those of us who tell said poster to buy something vanilla like a toyota is playing a passive-aggressive game of faux superiority.

but what do i know? maybe i'm not as discerning an auto buyer as someone who owns a lotus. *shrug*

Old 02-09-2009 | 09:04 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by boxtomini
Lotus

Have you driven the Evo X yet. Similar in price to a well optioned Mini with a bunch more HP and AWD.

They are a hoot!
Thanks for the suggestion. Going to the car show in a few weeks. Will take a look.

Old 02-09-2009 | 09:46 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by devlynaskurt
i'm a new owner of a new MINI. wanted it badly since it first came out and had to hold off getting it for a number of reasons until recently. i absolutely love my car. the bliss i have owning it now made the wait well worth it. i'm the kind of MINI owner who waves, flashes a shaka or holds up a peace sign if another MINI approaches and there's a chance the owner can see me.

coming from that perspective--and perhaps this is dismissive--but to me, a nonchalant/dispassionate/dismissive potential MINI buyer shouldn't become a MINI owner. taking it further--and i'm very much for free speech (and note that right actually applies when it comes to government censorship)--it seems inane to me that someone would start a thread soliciting opinions on why you wouldn't buy a product on said product's forum. the OP might claim that it's mainly out of curiousity, and that might be so, but to this reader and lover of her MINI, that curiousity is laced with venom.

in my opinion, someone who takes the time to attempt collecting anti-MINI-purchasing opinions on a MINI board, and then write lengthy posts to chide those of us who tell said poster to buy something vanilla like a toyota is playing a passive-aggressive game of faux superiority.

but what do i know? maybe i'm not as discerning an auto buyer as someone who owns a lotus. *shrug*
Devil, you held off on getting a Mini for your reasons, I am holding off for my reasons. I had no idea people would get so bothered about what I posted (I did say "yet" and that I wanted a Mini and still might get one), but obviously they did. Ignoring it would have made the thread die a quick death.

Old 02-10-2009 | 02:24 AM
steveng
2nd Gear
I haven't had any problems with my car yet 07 cooper S. The car doesn't really feel all that robust to me. I'm not sure how well it will age, but I'm not worried I'm selling it next month.

Old 02-10-2009 | 06:52 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs

Posters often say the forums are not representative, too small a sample size, etc. Very true, but we all have to make decisions on the information we can obtain. Info is NEVER perfect, even with statistical samples. The key is applying the information you can obtain and using judgment. My judgment may be different than yours using the same information.

Another common theme has been that all cars have problems, nothing is perfect. True. And while you are playing the lottery when you buy any car to a degree, when you go to Vegas you probably don't seek out the worst bet do you? The facts are there are some serious issues that have arisen with some (unknown) number of Minis and in Peugots using the same engine. As important if not more so, is that Mini and Peugot to date has been unable to diagnose and resolve the problems, even though they have been working on it for some time. Most folks who have the engine problems are pretty distressed about it. Why not wait for some resolution? What is 6 to 12 to 18 months in the scheme of things?
Lotus, your logic seems perfectly reasonable to me. The accusatory rants of being a "nonchalant/dispassionate/dismissive potential MINI buyer" are way off the mark and show a lack of effort to understand the original purpose for the thread. You clearly love the MINI as much as the rest of us but are simply trying to be a smart consumer. I am fully on board with your perspective, though I have an advantage in that I already own a fantastic 1st Gen MINI that I wouldn't mind keeping for some time...

...though I did experience how easy it would be to "drink the Koolaid" this past weekend when I had the chance to check out a new R57 S at a Chicago dealership. The temptation was intense. Of course, when the MA claimed total ignorance of the melting hood scoop and cold start death rattle issues with the Peugeot engine, it brought me back to reality.

Even if unavowed, there is clear evidence from multiple sources that BMW MINI has acknowledged the existence of these issues and is working behind the scenes to understand and rectify them. Were I in the market for a new R55, R56, or R57 I would agree that a prudent and reasonable course of action would be to wait for a few months and see how it all plays out. Doesn't make me any less of a MINI lover.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 02-10-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2009 | 01:50 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
Devil, you held off on getting a Mini for your reasons, I am holding off for my reasons.
my reasons were completely different from yours--i had no qualms about the product whatsoever. the first MA i had turned me off by sheer personality faults plus her lack of knowledge was just amazing. as a result, i checked out other cars--the speed3, miata & GTI among them--and came away knowing fully that the MINI was the best choice for me--whatever faults the car may have. at my request, the sales manager gave me another MA to work with and all was good.

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Lotus, your logic seems perfectly reasonable to me. The accusatory rants of being a "nonchalant/dispassionate/dismissive potential MINI buyer" are way off the mark and show a lack of effort to understand the original purpose for the thread.
logically speaking, my one (now two) posts hardly count as ranting when compared to LL's many posts lengthily & repetitively belaboring the few points about why he won't buy a MINI..."yet" or otherwise. i mean, come on! it's up to you either to pull the trigger or not. personally speaking, such public waffling over what are to me, statistically unimportant or minor, practically speaking, when the car as a whole is so awesome, is rather pathetic.

but again, that's me and my personal opinion. you posted your viewpoints on here for others to weigh in on; i've posted mine in opposition. that's the whole point of a discussion board, regardless of whether i think your POV is lamely passive-aggressive, or whether we were in complete agreement.

that said, aloha, dear gents. what can i say? i got mine. i'm sure you're enjoying yours, if you have one. if you have a lotus (or other car) instead, have fun with that one. if you're considering purchasing a MINI, i say go for it wholeheartedly. but if it's not for you, well--even a vanilla toyota camry has its faults and its bennies.

Old 02-12-2009 | 02:06 PM
zoltiz
3rd Gear
Looks like anyone who endured any sort of Lotus ownership (including Toyota Elise), shouldn't be afraid of owning a MINI in the 3rd year of the redesign run.

It will be a long time before I get the courage to dive into hand-built car ownership again. Maybe when I'm retired and have a ton of spare time / cash - then I'll do this again, but I'm glad that I did my Lotus stint in my barely thirties without breaking the bank. Now time to play with something that's almost as much fun, yet has 50K worth of warranty :P

Old 02-12-2009 | 02:40 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs

logically speaking, my one (now two) posts hardly count as ranting when compared to LL's many posts lengthily & repetitively belaboring the few points about why he won't buy a MINI..."yet" or otherwise. i mean, come on! it's up to you either to pull the trigger or not. personally speaking, such public waffling over what are to me, statistically unimportant or minor, practically speaking, when the car as a whole is so awesome, is rather pathetic.
Actually, my comment was less directed at your post as it was the multiple replies attacking the OP's motivation and judgment. Your words just did a great job encapsulating the many personal character speculations so I chose to use them (thanks). Most of the OP's subsequent posts have clearly just been attempts to further clarify his reasoning and not a belaboring of his perspective.

In principle, I do agree with you that how careful or cavalier you approach the purchase of a new MINI, no matter how much you love them, is a personal thing. At the same time, I would say that everyone is also fully in their own right to determine for themselves whether known problems with the car are statistically unimportant or minor based on the available facts and how thoroughly they do their research. You and others don't seem to think they are significant. Others, including the OP, believe they are at least significant enough to be patient and see how BMW MINI's publicly stated mitigating actions play out. No harm in people expressing their different points of view.

Actually, I just recently took the time to read all the way through Twin Turbo's "Yellow Engine Light" thread. Even if NAM only represents less than one percent of R55/R56 owners, there's still a whole lot of unhappy people with their new MINIs. N/A to you living in HI, but being from a cold winter geographic region it moves me even more into the OP's camp.

Old 02-12-2009 | 03:34 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
my reasons were completely different from yours--i had no qualms about the product whatsoever. ...................[edit]..................................

but again, that's me and my personal opinion. you posted your viewpoints on here for others to weigh in on; i've posted mine in opposition. that's the whole point of a discussion board, regardless of whether i think your POV is lamely passive-aggressive, or whether we were in complete agreement.

that said, aloha, dear gents. what can i say? i got mine. i'm sure you're enjoying yours, if you have one. if you have a lotus (or other car) instead, have fun with that one. if you're considering purchasing a MINI, i say go for it wholeheartedly. but if it's not for you, well--even a vanilla toyota camry has its faults and its bennies.
You raise an interesting point. The sunroof, cold-start rattle, hood scoop issues, while annoying do not diminish the functionality of the MINI. The most significant of the three issues, the cold-start rattle issue may be more a charcteristic of the engine design type than an actual problem. That said some posters engine issues, that have this issue may in deed have potential engine problems, but in a forum it becomes very difficult to sort out the actual problem cases from just the sound of the engine prior to warming up types. There is a point where no useful information can be derived from a topic this thread may have reached that point.
Y'all have fun, and howdy from Texas devlynaskurt!

Old 02-12-2009 | 10:13 PM
LotusLight
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Most of the OP's subsequent posts have clearly just been attempts to further clarify his reasoning and not a belaboring of his perspective.
Thanks, I could not have said it better myself.

Originally Posted by sikamini
You raise an interesting point. The sunroof, cold-start rattle, hood scoop issues, while annoying do not diminish the functionality of the MINI.
I think the same point was made in the, uh, 1st post .

Originally Posted by sikamini
There is a point where no useful information can be derived from a topic this thread may have reached that point.
Oh, I think that point was probably reached after just a handful of replies. Folks clearly were responding to a different question than was asked. Overall, no biggie, I see even the cold start issues database has now turned from what it was intended into a discussion thread. Sigh.

Sequence - I saw that your Mini has joined the ranks of those with the startup clatter. I am sorry to hear that and wish you luck. I do think it will be resolved, hopefully sooner rather than later. Keep watching Southpark!

Quick Reply: Why I won't buy a MINI - yet