Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP Sheared pinch bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:15 PM
TomThumbs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Sheared pinch bolt

Installing new struts today and managed to shear off the head of the pinch bolt on the driver's side. Other side was hard as Hades to get off but managed OK.

Considering that I was using a breaker bar and penetrating oil I'm not too confident of getting this thing out with a regular bolt extractor.

Any tips? Heat? Cold? (I have access to histofreeze spray used to remove skin lesions) Just try to drill the thing and use nut/bolt instead?

Geez, I wish the previous owner or his mechanic was as compulsive as I am about using Never Seize!!

Tom

(Sorry for cross post. I bumped a similar thread but was in Non-S Modification forum. Thought I might get quicker help here )

Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are going to drill it out, I would suggest removing the whole strut/knuckle assembly so you can set it up on a workbench and have plenty of room to work. and you won't have to sit on the ground.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM
TomThumbs
1st Gear
Yeah I gave it up for the night after working for hours, stripping 3 bolt extractors, breaking one off, breaking a bit, etc. etc. Maybe I could get it on my drill press if I took it all off. No need for the gym tonight. Got a heck of a workout drilling in such an awkward sitting position.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
zminitech
2nd Gear
I agree, a few more nuts and you can have the knuckle off and in your hands, I have had this happen before, had to remove the strut with the knuckle and drill it out, used a large extractor and it eventually came out. Lots of PB blaster will help, heat is also a plus, just be careful not to heat up the strut too much.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
TomThumbs
1st Gear
Well, it is doable to save the steering knuckle but it is very time consuming. I used diamond bits (Harbor Freight, 20 bucks for like 50 bits in an assortment of sizes) and my dremel tools. Of course that boogered up the threads so I drilled it out and used a longer bolt with lock washers and a nut. I feared breaking the bolt holding the lower portion of the rear strut on the passenger side, but patience and lots of PB Blaster got it out intact.

It was a lot of hours of work but translated into getting the MINI off the stands and back in service a lot quicker than if I had to order the knuckle and change it all out.

On edit: I did it in-situ. In hindsight it would have been easier (though maybe not quicker) to take the knuckle off completely but I made myself comfortable and got into a zen like state with the dremel and next thing you know it was done.
(Again please pardon cross post.)