Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Dreaded window gremlin won't stay away

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009 | 10:57 AM
gadgeTT
|
3rd Gear
Dreaded window gremlin won't stay away

Hi All,

My 2009 MCS developed the dreaded window gremlin on the driver's side (took delivery only 3 months ago). I took the day off of work and made the 200-mile round trip to my local dealer last Friday. They re-indexed the window and everything was back to normal when I drove off.

Here we are, a mere 5 days later and the same problem is back. Fortunately, MINI Corporate gave me a follow-up call to ask if everything was fixed to which I could not answer "yes."

In the absence of another plan, I have an appointment for this Friday (one week after the last service appointment) to have them look into it again and this time probably order parts. I'll have to take a 2nd day off of work, drive round trip 200 miles to drop off my car while they order parts, and then take a 3rd day off and do another 200 mile round trip to pick it up again.

*sigh*

I can't WAIT until the MINI dealer in Austin finally opens for warranty service!

Otherwise loving the car, though

Old 03-04-2009 | 11:24 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
There were a few other treads on window issues (dipper, not closing, opening on thier own etc).

Seems that most of the software only solutions didn't keep the problem from coming back.

Physical replacments of the foot well module, door micro switches and or the window motors affected look to be the most reliable fixes.

Old 03-04-2009 | 03:18 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gadgeTT
I took the day off of work and made the 200-mile round trip to my local dealer last Friday.
I'll have to take a 2nd day off of work, drive round trip 200 miles to drop off my car while they order parts,
and then take a 3rd day off and do another 200 mile round trip to pick it up again.
Yeah, you poor, poor person, having to drive, in your new Mini, the pain of it all!!

Seriously, hope they get it fixed, in the mean time, try to enjoy the drive OK?

Old 03-05-2009 | 08:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
i thought Austin had a MINI dealer, if not, what about San Antone?

Old 03-05-2009 | 11:05 AM
gadgeTT
|
3rd Gear
Don't get me wrong - I love my car and I love driving it. I just don't enjoy the 200-mile round trip in highway traffic (3 round trips, in fact) plus the requisite days off of work to get this fixed at MINI of San Antonio (where I bought the car, too).

North Austin's BMW dealership supposedly owns a MINI franchise and can now do out-of-warranty repairs, but they haven't yet broken ground on their sales and service buildings, and won't yet do warranty service.

Old 03-06-2009 | 05:41 AM
gadgeTT
|
3rd Gear
Hmm... OK... so I drive home today with the windows down because it was a beautiful day in Austin. Got home, and without thinking I just flicked the driver's window switch up for the "auto-up" feature. It worked! It hasn't worked in 3 days, but now it does, and it still works as of this morning. I would also be happier if it stayed broken because now it's an intermittent problem that will be even more difficult to diagnose.

I'm crossing all appendages that it stays working. For now, my service appointment is canceled.

BTW, isn't it awesome to be driving around with the roof open and the windows down in early March? Love it!

Old 03-07-2009 | 07:14 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Call Road Assist

Hey all this talk about long trips for service rings a bell with me, but check this out...I called my service manager at Brian Harris MINI in Baton Rouge because I have a nail in my run flats. Not a big deal as I only lose about 5psi per week and I have the "tire insurance" so it wont cost me for the replacement but it still annoying for the same reasons mentioned in this thread. Not looking forward to that 250 mile round trip, I called to make sure I could get it fixed before I made the drive. Here's the cool info...he told me to simply call the roadside assist number and they would come with a flatbed truck and pick it up and deliver it to them because it was over 100 miles. He said to simply leave a note in it with the problem and they would fix it and...here's a definite MINI only phrase..."reunite it with me". All of this would cost me nothing and would get rid of the long drive part. I digress however because I cant bear the thought of the neighbors thinking my MINI got repoed in this economy when they see it getting picked up on a flat bed truck! Im gonna drive her there anyway but thought this may help your situation...ask you SA if that is an option for you.

Old 03-08-2009 | 10:44 AM
sequence
6th Gear
ages ago the primary window parts supplier for BMW built their factory on top of an old Native Gremlin graveyard, and since then all window parts supplied to BMW have a curse on them. I am 100% fully convinced of this