Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Alternator recognition problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
tyroneco
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator recognition problem

Hi everybody,

I am from Philippines, I am an owner of a 2003 Mini Cooper CVT. with 13,900 km only

Im having big problem with my car. I recently change my alternator, because the old one is not charging anymore. The problem is that the computer cannot recognize or accept the new alternator. Although the alternator is charging properly but the battery sign on the center mounted guage is always lit. Also there is no power steering.

Here is the strange part, if i unplug the connection of the alternator and then plug it again, the power steering functions properly ( battery sign on the center mounted guage remains lit ).
Everytime i use the Mini Cooper i need to open the hood unplug the connetion then plug it again so that i have power steering. very inconvinient.

Since there is no Mini Dealership here in the Philippines, i have to deal with this problem with the trial and error method,

I hope someone can help me with this problem. Im open to accept any suggestions regarding this matter.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The powere steering will quit if the alternator voltage falls below 9.6vdc; it sounds like the alternator is still defective!

How did you determine that the new alternator is charging?

Did you replace it with an aftermarket?

Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Jhud
4th Gear
the DME/ECU tells the alternator how much to charge( atleast on BMWs ). An aftermarket alternator may not be compatible with the vehicle.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
mscmagno
2nd Gear
did you check if you intall the propper alternator, MCS and MC have different alternator,

link: http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/min...lternator.html

MCS alternator has more voltage 105 AMP
MC alternator has less voltage.

not sure the amps, i have my alternator changed and that what they told me. so i hope it helps.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM
glennarsenault
Neutral
I'm having the same problem on an 02 cooper S. New power steering pump, new alternator both from MINI dealer.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM
nuttyme2279
1st Gear
That is the same problem i had with my car. Wound up it was a battery terminal. another way to get your power stearing to work again is while the car is runing is to put it in reverse before you start to go. it resets it.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM
glennarsenault
Neutral
Here is more information on what I have tried. Charge light is on and also the ABS and DSC light. On the 3 pin connector at the power steering pump pin one 11.63v, pin two .63v, pin three 10.38v.
The readings are the same at alternator connector if alternator is plugged-in at startup and re-plugged.Voltages are the same. But powers steering returns. I checked the engine compartment battery connector 11.84v
also the trunk connection with key off zero volts with key on positive side 11.84v rear power relay orange thing on side of battery 11.84v.
Checked alternator power output 0v
What are the chances of having a bad alternator, and buying another bad alternator from Tom Bush BMW? Tried several places to check alternator NAPA, PEP boys, Advanced auto parts no MINI setup in their system.

Just got back from OReilly auto parts the old alternator tested as bad, and new alternator is Ok. So I'm going to put new alternator back in.

Also before the alternator was put back on the car I turned the key to the 2nd position an the power steering pump started working. After alternator was put back in no power steering.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the jump stud under the hood to insure that the connection is tight.