Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Ticking sound at idle on an R56 MC (non-S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009 | 09:14 PM
blackjackmark
|
4th Gear
Ticking sound at idle on an R56 MC (non-S)

Waldo has started to have some engine noise at idle. I took my camera out and moved it around the engine compartment to help the dealer diagnose the problem. Taking it in tomorrow but was hopeful that others of you have heard something similar and might be able to give me some ideas of what it is in case the dealer can't diagnose it!

It's most noticeable at about 8 seconds into the video when the camera moves over the back left corner of the engine.

I checked the oil as its somewhat reminiscent of the lifter clatter that my Miata was prone to make, but the oil level seemed fine (on a side note, what a STUPID dipstick design!)

It does it mostly AFTER it's warmed up (others on here seemed to have the problme more at start-up, and mine seems to be after the engine is fully warmed up.)

Any thoughts?

Old 03-06-2009 | 05:04 AM
GregO
4th Gear
rattle

[quote=blackjackmark;2690521]Waldo has started to have some engine noise at idle. I took my camera out and moved it around the engine compartment to help the dealer diagnose the problem. Taking it in tomorrow but was hopeful that others of you have heard something similar and might be able to give me some ideas of what it is in case the dealer can't diagnose it!

It's most noticeable at about 8 seconds into the video when the camera moves over the back left corner of the engine.

I checked the oil as its somewhat reminiscent of the lifter clatter that my Miata was prone to make, but the oil level seemed fine (on a side note, what a STUPID dipstick design!)

It does it mostly AFTER it's warmed up (others on here seemed to have the problme more at start-up, and mine seems to be after the engine is fully warmed up.)

Any thoughts?

Mark,
Sounds mostly "normal" to me, meaning sounds like mine and most non-S MINIs I've heard and driven. I would definitely ask the dealer about it if it bothers you (to document it) in case there is something wrong or that can be done. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck...
Greg

Old 03-06-2009 | 06:17 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
That's normal. The sound is coming from your injectors which are attached to the fuel rail which is directly in front of your airbox.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 03-06-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2009 | 06:51 AM
blackjackmark
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
That's normal. The sound is coming from your injectors which are attached to the fuel rail which in directly in front of your airbox.
Thanks for the feedback...but what I don't understanding that it just recently started. If it truly is normal, then why haven't I been hearing it all along?

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:18 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Do you run Premium Fuel in your mini? I ran 89 on ONE tank and it sounded like a flippin diesel! (more so than normal) Never did that again!

Old 03-06-2009 | 08:40 AM
blackjackmark
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by saturn
Do you run Premium Fuel in your mini? I ran 89 on ONE tank and it sounded like a flippin diesel! (more so than normal) Never did that again!
Yep, always run premium Top Tier fuel, usually Shell 92 octane.

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:17 AM
kavatski
3rd Gear
Well, in my case my MC does it on colder mornings when the engine is still warming up. I can hear it ticking at stoplights and when coasting while driving. Goes away after a few minutes and doesn't bother me. Not something I hear when it's warmed up or in warmer weather, however.

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:19 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blackjackmark
Thanks for the feedback...but what I don't understanding that it just recently started. If it truly is normal, then why haven't I been hearing it all along?
The sound level varies.Mine is fairly mellow today but has been more pronounced on and off depending on the outside temp and different brands of gas.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 03-10-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2009 | 11:30 AM
Joey D
3rd Gear
Yup I'm right there with you, my Cooper does the same thing at idle. I asked the dealer about it and they confirmed that it's normal but they are documenting it in case it leads to a problem later on down the road. I wouldn't worry to much about it but next time you are at the dealer just have em note it.

Old 03-07-2009 | 11:35 AM
zminitech
2nd Gear
That sounds like your vacuum pump going bad, I would take it to the dealer.

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:13 PM
FALSTEN
1st Gear
Sounds like the injectors. Mine sound the same way. Since the Mini uses a direct injection engine, the injectors run at much higher pressures, similar to a diesel injector, and each pulse sounds like a "click". If you are talking about the sharp, clicking noise, I'd say that's it.

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:40 PM
goat
3rd Gear
Except only the R56S is direct injection...

Old 03-13-2009 | 01:49 PM
U-2
2nd Gear
Same ticking noise here.

Old 03-13-2009 | 05:40 PM
DanF
5th Gear
My car sounds like this also. Mostly on cold mornings. It sounds like that for about 10 miles until the engine is warmed up. There is a very noticeable tapping noise at idle and after letting off the gas at around 2000 rpm, if gas is re-applied the noise goes away. Sometimes the noise is frightening loud. I don't think it is normal at all. I've had the car almost 2 years and this did not happen for the first 6 months of ownership. Last winter there was a slight tapping noise. This winter, much worse. I think it may be the same chain tensioner problems reported by the S owners. Usually there is not a noise over 50 degrees.

I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet for the problem.

Last edited by DanF; 06-08-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2009 | 12:11 PM
djdnz
1st Gear
My girlfriend's 09 MC (non S) is going to go into the dealer for this same issue. The car starts up and sounds normal, and then sporadically this very loud ticking will begin. The sound is coming from the intake side of the engine; I can't quite diagnose any closer than that general area. The sound is VERY faint from the inside of the car, but the outside is very loud. It's not possible to predict when it will happen, but when it does you can CLEARLY tell the difference between the regular engine ticking noise, and this noise. We will be taking it into the dealer, hopefully the problem will replicate itself while we're there.
Let me know if you guys come up with a solution to this!

She has run 91 octane in the car since we picked it up.

Thanks,
-Dave