Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

1 year of ownership... list of repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 07:33 PM
Bottoz
|
3rd Gear
1 year of ownership... list of repairs

I've had my 08 MCS for about a year now... love the car. So far, here is what has been replaced/repaired under warranty.

Transmission - Grind from 1st to 2nd.
Transmission Mount - Clunk from driver side front.
Clutch Switch - Came loose and would not allow car to start.
Front Brake Pads, Rotors and Sensor - They just wore out.
Air Bag Seat Sensor - Intermittent Air Bag light on Speed-O and Tach.
Oil Change/Filter - Done at 1 year mark by Dealer @ 14000 miles, and 2 previous times by me. 1200 miles, 6000 miles.
Tail Pipe Recall - Self Explanatory
Front and Rear Wipers - Dealer Replaced when changing oil.

The only other problem I've encountered is the Window roll-up issue... but it has not happened in a while.

Average MPG is 33. Today's 70 mile trip from the dealer averaged 41 MPG... mostly 65-75 MPH. The car dyno'd 177hp 210tq and weighs 2606 #'s.

There isn't a price in the service invoice for the Transmission, T-Mount or Air Bag Seat Sensor... but I'd bet they're not cheap. I do have prices (including labor) for the others:
Oil Change = $84.55
Front & Rear Wipers = $34.96
Front Pads, Rotors and Sensor = $488.72

After the warranty is up, I'll more than likely trade it in for something else. It's paid for.

PS... I had an 08 MC (non-S 6 speed) as a loaner for 5 days. I'm soooooo glad I got the S. The non-S is WEAK! The NAV system is pretty cool... I'll give it that. And the Hill Assist is sweet. But I still wouldn't have paid for those added options. The smoothness of the S is the main difference (aside from power) I noticed. I have a great appreciation for the Dual Mass flywheel now.

Old 03-07-2009 | 06:21 AM
saturn
4th Gear
I too have had my car for just over a year now.
07 MCSA bought with 500 miles and a big discount
just hit 20,000 miles yesterday

1) sunroof drain tubes wiggled loose and caused rain to come through
the rear-view mirror, fixed under warranty
2) 8000 miles, had the whine at idle, replaced water pump under warranty, hasn't happened since
3) had the weepy washers, check valve installed under warranty
4) wipers replaced, realized that the stock ones just suck, bought my own instead.
5) left front inner fender lining was warping, replaced under warranty
6) hood scoop warping due to excessive heat from turbo, replaced under warranty

Still average 31 mpg overall.
That's all!

Old 03-09-2009 | 08:50 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
less than 6 months...repairs not covered from warranty

alright well heres the deal, we bought the car as a preowned (basically the car was given to a representative at mini to drive around as his daily driver) and it was on the lot for quite a while, people who wanted to test drive a mini type s would test drive this car. what do you do when you test drive a car? you rag it right?

so last week the car was due for service for brakes and what not. also we were having problems with the clutch slipping. we went and service department told us warranty might not cover the clutch if its abused. bad new was it wasnt coverd and they blamed us for abusing the clutch...which was absolute B.S.

so heres how much i had to spend:

-$800+ for the diagnosis of transmission- taking apart
-$331.81 for a new clutch
-$1100+ for dual mass fly wheel
- $800+ for putting it all back together

total came to around $3300 FML

Old 03-09-2009 | 09:22 AM
sequence
6th Gear
so.. were you out of the manufacturer warrany? On extended warranty? Problem with most extended warranties is that they dont cover clutches, they're considered a wear item.

Now, if U had the balance of the factory 4/50 warranty remaining, you were blatantly Jedi-mindtricked by the dealer into thinking it was YOUR fault re the clutch. Pretty common occurence esp back east where dealer arrogance runs rampant. however, they shouldve given U a 2 year/unlimited mileage parts/labor warranty on the clutch work.

I went thru two defective LuK clutches and dmfs with my 05 S in only 27K, so I swore off manual bmw products forever.

Old 03-09-2009 | 10:05 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
so.. were you out of the manufacturer warrany? On extended warranty? Problem with most extended warranties is that they dont cover clutches, they're considered a wear item.

Now, if U had the balance of the factory 4/50 warranty remaining, you were blatantly Jedi-mindtricked by the dealer into thinking it was YOUR fault re the clutch. Pretty common occurence esp back east where dealer arrogance runs rampant. however, they shouldve given U a 2 year/unlimited mileage parts/labor warranty on the clutch work.

I went thru two defective LuK clutches and dmfs with my 05 S in only 27K, so I swore off manual bmw products forever.

when we bought the car we bought extended warranty till like 70k miles. and im pretty sure the car was still under manufacturer warranty cause it only had 15k miles

basically when they took apart the transmission the clutch was worn down all the way, and had burn marks on it, the dmfw also had burn marks and heat cracks...do dealers give you 2 year/unlimited mileage parts/labor warranty?

also what is the 4/50 warranty?

Old 03-09-2009 | 01:09 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stinkytofu
when we bought the car we bought extended warranty till like 70k miles. and im pretty sure the car was still under manufacturer warranty cause it only had 15k miles

basically when they took apart the transmission the clutch was worn down all the way, and had burn marks on it, the dmfw also had burn marks and heat cracks...do dealers give you 2 year/unlimited mileage parts/labor warranty?

also what is the 4/50 warranty?
when did U buy the car, and how many miles did it have?? Did U buy it from a MINI dealer, or another??

4 years or 50K miles from the date the car was originally put into service is the MINI factory or OEM warranty, bumper-to-bumper, inc the drivetrain, and it is transferrable to the next owner. IOW, I took delivery of my 09 on 11/5/08, so the warranty covers me until 11/05/12, or 50K, whichever comes first, but if I wish to get rid of it today, there would be 3 years 9 months or 47K miles reamining for the next owner.

seems since the car was a obviously hard driven program car, how could you know the clutch had all that damage? I would collect all my facts and call MINI-USA and complain LOUD. Clutches/dmfs are the most hotly contested warranty service issue, because it's sooooo EZ to blame the customer, and there was no reason for them to deny U a warranty claim on the factory warranty another than being arseholes that didnt want to charge back BMW for the clutch/dmf repairs.

and I dont know about that dealer, but work done by mine carries a 2 year parts-U/L mileage warranty on the work done. IOW, when I had my 05s 2nd clutch and dmf replaced under warranty, they still tacked on the 2 year which wouldve extended the clutch/dmf 10 months beyond my remaining factory warranty's expiration date.

But then my dealer doesnt pull that kind of "it's yr fault" BS either.

Old 03-09-2009 | 01:37 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Zero!

Old 03-09-2009 | 02:07 PM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
when did U buy the car, and how many miles did it have?? Did U buy it from a MINI dealer, or another??

4 years or 50K miles from the date the car was originally put into service is the MINI factory or OEM warranty, bumper-to-bumper, inc the drivetrain, and it is transferrable to the next owner. IOW, I took delivery of my 09 on 11/5/08, so the warranty covers me until 11/05/12, or 50K, whichever comes first, but if I wish to get rid of it today, there would be 3 years 9 months or 47K miles reamining for the next owner.

seems since the car was a obviously hard driven program car, how could you know the clutch had all that damage? I would collect all my facts and call MINI-USA and complain LOUD. Clutches/dmfs are the most hotly contested warranty service issue, because it's sooooo EZ to blame the customer, and there was no reason for them to deny U a warranty claim on the factory warranty another than being arseholes that didnt want to charge back BMW for the clutch/dmf repairs.

and I dont know about that dealer, but work done by mine carries a 2 year parts-U/L mileage warranty on the work done. IOW, when I had my 05s 2nd clutch and dmf replaced under warranty, they still tacked on the 2 year which wouldve extended the clutch/dmf 10 months beyond my remaining factory warranty's expiration date.

But then my dealer doesnt pull that kind of "it's yr fault" BS either.

we bought the car directly from the mini dealer. its was a 07 mcs with 15,000 miles on it. there was the 4/50 on it and we also bought extended warranty as well

exactly my point, i couldn't tell there was damage on my car till the clutch completely went out, and normally clutches last for at least roughly 40k+..also after they replaced the clutch, it drove completely differnt. the clutch feels like a 335i's clutch (dont know if you ever driven one)

Old 03-09-2009 | 02:55 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Sequence,

You'd better check out the fine print on the warranty. Brake pads, clutch disks, are considered wear items and are NOT covered...unless they prove to be defective. That's on a new MINI. The OP bought the car as a used vehicle.

Old 03-09-2009 | 03:38 PM
Bottoz
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
Sequence,

You'd better check out the fine print on the warranty. Brake pads, clutch disks, are considered wear items and are NOT covered...unless they prove to be defective. That's on a new MINI. The OP bought the car as a used vehicle.
Uh.... my pads/rotors and wear sensor was replaced under warranty. I didn't even ask for it. When I dropped it off for the tranny swap, they scanned my key and told me that it was due.

Old 03-10-2009 | 07:24 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Bottoz,

That was very nice of them, but that work is not covered under the warranty on my 2009 MCS. I haven't read your warranty, but obviously they did the work, whether covered or not.

Old 03-10-2009 | 09:06 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
11,000 miles on my 08 Clubman S. Other than basic maintenance no repairs!!

Old 03-10-2009 | 09:25 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
Bottoz,

That was very nice of them, but that work is not covered under the warranty on my 2009 MCS. I haven't read your warranty, but obviously they did the work, whether covered or not.
You might want to check your maintenance agreement. Brake pads are covered as are oil changes up to 3 years/36,000 miles for no charge. The vehicle warranty obviously does not cover wear items such as tires and brake pads.

Still do not believe? Go here

Last edited by Nimcosi; 03-10-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2009 | 09:58 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
that pretty much says it all

Old 03-10-2009 | 11:05 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
I was wrong. Brake pads and disks are covered under the maintenance agreement (not the warranty, but that's beside the point). The big issue for the OP, however, has to do with clutch disks. Are they covered under the warranty or the maintenance agreement if they wear out (as opposed to being defective)?

Old 03-10-2009 | 03:23 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
none except leaking wiper jets.

Old 03-10-2009 | 04:05 PM
driverphil
3rd Gear
we now have 18k on our 1 year old MCa. We had a Vanos problem which got fixed, perfect other than that. 35-40 mpg

New Clubman for spouse on the docks at Southhampton currently.

Old 03-10-2009 | 07:23 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
My Clubman's a year old next week, and it's had no repair or maintenance issues.

I did have a sticky Club Door release, but I fixed that myself with a few sprays of silicone on the release cable, and it's never happened again.

So far, my Clubman's been the most trouble-free car I've owned.

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:22 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
My Clubman's a year old next week, and it's had no repair or maintenance issues.

I did have a sticky Club Door release, but I fixed that myself with a few sprays of silicone on the release cable, and it's never happened again.

So far, my Clubman's been the most trouble-free car I've owned.

Beautiful. I love hearing things like that above. I hope both of our MINI's are trouble free as well.

Old 05-08-2009 | 05:16 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Versus my 05 Honda Element, my Clubman is heaven sent in terms of 1 year problems. A sticky club door and the window dip problem.

My Element required new brakes at 9K and again at 22K and again at 42K, that time with calipers! 3 sets of brakes in under 50K. Oh forgot to mention the new tranmission at 48k.

I'm trading it next week for another Mini.

Old 05-08-2009 | 05:56 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
I just had my Clubman to the dealer for what appear to be the two most common issues, the window dipper and the sticky sunroof. Habberstad MINI had to keep the car two days to fix both, but I got an '09 S coupe manual loaner, so it wasn't a big deal. The window dipper got the "reprogramming" fix, and the sunroof had to be partially disassembled and realigned and lubricated. Both are now working fine.

As for stinkytofu's issue with a used MINI's clutch, the clutch on my '09 loaner had a very abrupt engagement, with only 4,500 miles on it. That's the problem with a used manual, you never know who's been using or abusing the clutch.

Old 05-08-2009 | 09:43 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Update on Our Cars

My wife's car now has 5400 miles on it. We had both front fog lights replaced for water vapor in them in the first 2 weeks of ownership. I paid to have the oil changed at 1300 miles. Cost $95.00. Other than this zero problems. Hers is the auto.

My car now has about 3300 miles on it. I had the oil changed at 1200 miles and have had zero problems and or concerns. Mine is a 6 speed. The car shifts like a dream and runs like a champ. I'm catching up quick to my on miles. 2 pretty long MINI events. 1 a run to eastern Washington that was a hoot and the Tulip Ralley up north. Big event with 60 or so MINI's. We always seem to take my car on these things. (It's ok who wants to drive an automatic?)

So far so good.

Pat