Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009 | 08:39 PM
Noegel
|
5th Gear
Car will not start

I did search before starting this new thread... my symptoms are akin to this:

Car starts... then dies immediately

I start the car... revs to 1,000rpm, then slowly dies to nothing. I just filled up with 93 Shell. Is this a symptom of bad gas? I got a bad ALTA hot-side boost tube, and it keeps blowing off (going to e-mail ALTA about this... I should have known when I noticed the logo was backwards that I got a bad part) but it hasn't ever caused the car not to start (has has happened 2 times prior).

I'm sure the dealer will blame this on the loose boost tube, but I'll firmly stand my ground. They will look at it tomorrow.

Dealer would not give me a loaner car. I am two months from being 21, and I tried every linguistic tool in the bucket. I carry a firearm in my federal law enforcement job, I live 300 miles away, I paid $30,500 with my own money for this car (they first thought my parents bought it for me), no rentals due to Spring Break, and I'm not going to wake up in two months on my 21st birthday and magically be more responsible (I'm going to change the world today!). Silly really... turns out some 19 year-old idiot crashed a 5-series loaner back in the day while street racing. Chump ruined it for us youngsters.

Good chance for them to fix up some warranty issues... Punch-Black Leather peeling on the driver's seat, plastic wheel arch that fell off, 15,000 mile oil change, and brake pad maintenance due in 1,200. I'm having them put the loose boost tube back on in hopes they can wiggle it in place, but I swear it isn't long enough. Sorry for my rant... it sucks being stranded hundreds of miles away from home and the dealer whom you are giving thirty grand to won't lend you even a base model Cooper. Ugh... I talked to everyone up to the General Manager! I eventually had to call my mother to drive me the three hours back home. It certainly looks bad on the car and on the dealership, but hey, it is a fun car. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse service-wise.

Thanks for listening!

Old 03-08-2009 | 08:57 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
I did search before starting this new thread... my symptoms are akin to this:

Car starts... then dies immediately

I start the car... revs to 1,000rpm, then slowly dies to nothing. I just filled up with 93 Shell. Is this a symptom of bad gas? I got a bad ALTA hot-side boost tube, and it keeps blowing off (going to e-mail ALTA about this... I should have known when I noticed the logo was backwards that I got a bad part) but it hasn't ever caused the car not to start (has has happened 2 times prior).

I'm sure the dealer will blame this on the loose boost tube, but I'll firmly stand my ground. They will look at it tomorrow.

Dealer would not give me a loaner car. I am two months from being 21, and I tried every linguistic tool in the bucket. I carry a firearm in my federal law enforcement job, I live 300 miles away, I paid $30,500 with my own money for this car (they first thought my parents bought it for me), no rentals due to Spring Break, and I'm not going to wake up in two months on my 21st birthday and magically be more responsible (I'm going to change the world today!). Silly really... turns out some 19 year-old idiot crashed a 5-series loaner back in the day while street racing. Chump ruined it for us youngsters.

Good chance for them to fix up some warranty issues... Punch-Black Leather peeling on the driver's seat, plastic wheel arch that fell off, 15,000 mile oil change, and brake pad maintenance due in 1,200. I'm having them put the loose boost tube back on in hopes they can wiggle it in place, but I swear it isn't long enough. Sorry for my rant... it sucks being stranded hundreds of miles away from home and the dealer whom you are giving thirty grand to won't lend you even a base model Cooper. Ugh... I talked to everyone up to the General Manager! I eventually had to call my mother to drive me the three hours back home. It certainly looks bad on the car and on the dealership, but hey, it is a fun car. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse service-wise.

Thanks for listening!
Did you get a cel before the starting issues?

You know they will blame the mods.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Old 03-09-2009 | 03:00 AM
Noegel
|
5th Gear
No Check Engine Lights. I'm going to guess it was the bad gas. Urgh, it is so irritating!

Old 03-09-2009 | 04:50 AM
GregO
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
No Check Engine Lights. I'm going to guess it was the bad gas. Urgh, it is so irritating!
Hopefully something more definitive, like a bad fuel pump. Good luck. I hope they fix it properly for you.
Greg

Old 03-09-2009 | 09:21 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Sounds a lot like how my '07 MCS was behaving when my high pressure fuel pump was leaking. Do you have a MCS? I believe the Cooper has conventional fuel injection. Does your hard starting only occur when the car has sat for 8 to 10 hours? When my high pressure fuel pump was bad, it only misbehaved after sitting for a considerable period of time. Hope they get it fixed for you soon. Mike

Old 03-10-2009 | 04:45 PM
Noegel
|
5th Gear
I'm back from the dealer. I do have a MINI Cooper S.

Guess what it was? ECU Problem! They reflashed it and it started, no problem... how strange... also, they said the Footwell Lighting Harness was throwing a code in both versions of the ECU, so that part is being ordered.

I asked, "What the heck does that do?"
"It has to do with the lighting... I'm not sure," the technician responds.
"My lights are fine... can I drive without it?"
"Yes. I really don't know what it is for, but we'll replace it under warranty."

Fine by me. So this puts my flawless MINI at two repairs... a reflashed ECU and a Footwell Lighting Harness.... are there lights in the footwells that I don't know about? Any idea what this is?