Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Code 2096 running lean, help diagnose please

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Code 2096 running lean, help diagnose please

My Mini has 110K miles on it and man is it time for maintnance. I need new control arm bushings, new brakes and new tires all in a bad economy. Ok so I have bought all of those parts and will be doing them this weekend. But here is my problem.

after chainging the oil and the belt I threw a code. so I bought a code reader. and found out I have code P2096 and am running lean.

Well the day after I read the code my header broke in 2 at the pre cat. I took out my stock header and welded the header back together. it sounds fine now but even after resetting the code it trips.

If a cat breaks in half is it shot? Was a crack in my Cat tripping this code P2096(post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1)? or should I be focusing on my O2 sensors.

So help me if my train of thought is wrong. I need to pas smog in Sept. So I have some time. But my mini is eating my cash in parts.

should I replace O2 sensors? What will that cost me in parts? $400?

should I replace my header first due to the fact that it broke in half at the pre cat? if it is welded back together will it still work?

should I run injector cleaner through?
I will be inspecting to see if I pulled off a vacume hose or if one has a crack.

any other thoughts on what i should inspect?

Last edited by gpwpat; 03-11-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm....

the lean is consitant with the header cracking and letting air in, but if it's all welded together, then the code wouldn't be thrown anymore. BTW, I didn't find any info on P2096.....

If the cat broke, then it's not nescissarily shot, but I wouldn't trust it for much. BTW, I'm running a header with no pre-cat, don't run lean and don't throw codes. There are also several people who have gutted the pre-cat and are running fine.

If you look around, you can find sources for 02 sensors for about $80... But don't change it out till you know that it's shot. There is some 02 diagnostic info floating around here on the boards.

Matt

Also, check out this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...onverters.html

Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, partially blocked injector (or two)? I would try the injector cleaner first (use the BMW specified fluid)...

Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Just had this very same code fixed by the dealer, this was the third time I had to bring the car in for the same code BTW. They had to replace the intake tube, I dont have the exact part number on me but i can tell you the it required putting the car into "service mode".

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM
second to none
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We fixed this code with a software update. It was on an 05/06 S with about 75k

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
So it sounds like this code is pretty vague. It could be a number of small things or a big thing. My exaust is still black and sooty. I don't notice any lean smell. The exaust smells the same so I don't really think the cat is bad. I may just replace the o2 sensors as part of the 110K mile mantinance. and if that doesn't work. I will take it to a repair shop. I just hate taking my car to the shop. As a home mechanic I feel defreted when I have to bring a car in. But in todays electronics in cars I just don't have all the electronics and knowledge.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by second to none
We fixed this code with a software update. It was on an 05/06 S with about 75k
That was what my dealer tried first. Then the code came back... Could be a coincidence.

In my case it was the plastic tube between the throttle body and the supercharger, it had a crack in it which they found by doing a smoke test.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
after running fuel injector cleaner and checking and trying everything. I gave up. Then the code turned off. I hope it stays off until I get smogged in july. The car is running well now. I wounder if it was the injector cleaner that helped. or it just needed the 80 cycles of no code to clear the code after the pre cat repair..

Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM
sweeps
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you get an ECU upgrade? Have to got to the dealer I assume. I've had the code for a year or more. I replaced the rear o2 sensor and cleared the codes but after a shut down and restart the code comes back. From what I've read here at NAM it could be several things. Anyone who has had this code and has succesfully gotten rid of it I would love to hear how you did it.