Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fault p1476? Leakage diagnostic pump clamped tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM
robc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fault p1476? Leakage diagnostic pump clamped tube?

Checking to see if there is any new wisdom on fault P1476 "Leakage diagnostic pump clamped tube".

I have an '05 Cooper S that just threw this code tonight. Of course it's two weeks after the warranty expired and the Bentley manual I ordered a couple weeks ago is on back order. Lovely.

I did a search, it seems this is fairly mysterious except for one poster who fixed a few of these but couldn't remember what the fix was

I'll reset the code tonight to see if it comes back, but it'd be great to know where this leak might be. Is it something to do with the evaporative system?

Thanks!
-Rob

Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best guess:
One of the tubes/hoses on your diagnostic pump (under the fender liner passenger side rear wheel well) is leaking air.
#2 is the pump.
Name:  269.png
Views: 4370
Size:  13.5 KB

Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM
robc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner
Best guess:
One of the tubes/hoses on your diagnostic pump (under the fender liner passenger side rear wheel well) is leaking air.
#2 is the pump.
Great...thanks for the pic, my manual still hasn't showed up. I'm wondering if maybe a hose is actually pinched or clogged (or the sensor is bad and thinks it is) since the trouble code description talks about clamped hoses. Haven't had any new codes since resetting the light over the weekend, but based on another reply it sounds like the computer only checks for a reading during some fairly specific conditions that i haven't met yet (gas tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full and engine has to be cold).

If it comes back, i'll take a look at the hoses and let you know what it ends up being.

Thanks,
-Rob

Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The pump itself is called a Leak Diagnostic Pump (LDP), “clamped” refers to blocked; however, according the techs I’ve surveyed, the issue is within the pump the majority of the time. The standard procedure is to clear the code, if it returns, change the part (less than $100 from NAM discounter vendors). I found one instance of a person from a Google search that repaired the pump with success. MINI LDP failures are not numerous, but they’re not isolated occurrences either, the parts warranty person at the local dealership says he sends back three a day for BMWs and about that many a month from MINIs. Just as a note of curiosity, it is the only “assembled in Mexico” part I’ve seen on a MINI, I mean nothing disparaging about that observation.

Accessing the part for replacement is not difficult and the entire assembly is light, put the vehicle on stands, remove the right rear wheel and liner, pull the small tube at the top of the LDP, unscrew three 10mm nuts, lower the carbon canister and LDP assembly a few inches, disconnect the wire connector on the back side of the CC and upper quick releases for the upper vent tubes on the CC, once the assembly is out of the vehicle remove the remaining large tubes from the LDP, unscrew three T-25 screws securing the LDP. The LDP and assembly (5/03 MCS) I removed are configured differently than the one pictured on post#2.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
robc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by k-huevo
The pump itself is called a Leak Diagnostic Pump (LDP), “clamped” refers to blocked; however, according the techs I’ve surveyed, the issue is within the pump the majority of the time. The standard procedure is to clear the code, if it returns, change the part (less than $100 from NAM discounter vendors).
Awesome...thanks for the details. I cleared the code over a week ago, but it came back yesterday. Looks like i'll be picking up this part soon.

-Rob

Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
second to none
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I researched this when diaging my p0442 code.There is a certain amount of leakage the pump tests for. If there is none at all, it thinks you have clamped the tube shut to get around the vapor leak code. Look for a blockage or kink in the tubes down there.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
dL_EVO
2nd Gear
I just got this code a couple of days ago too.

I just reset it, hopefully it never comes back.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
robc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dL_EVO
I just got this code a couple of days ago too.

I just reset it, hopefully it never comes back.
Yeah, mine came back after the next tank of gas.

I finally got my hands on a Bentley manual... a note for everyone...the LDP and location changed after the R53 refresh.

The LDP is under the right rear wheel housing on 2002-2004 Mini's.

For those of us with the '05 and '06 model years it is located under the right rear side of the vehicle. The manual just says to remove "plastic underbody wind deflector at right rear corner", disconnect wiring harness, disconnect hoses and slide the LDP unit out. Looks different from the earlier model year.

If there's interest, I can take pictures when I take a look at mine ('05), although it will probably be another week or two.

-Rob

Old 05-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Atomic_R53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by robc
Yeah, mine came back after the next tank of gas.

I finally got my hands on a Bentley manual... a note for everyone...the LDP and location changed after the R53 refresh.

The LDP is under the right rear wheel housing on 2002-2004 Mini's.

For those of us with the '05 and '06 model years it is located under the right rear side of the vehicle. The manual just says to remove "plastic underbody wind deflector at right rear corner", disconnect wiring harness, disconnect hoses and slide the LDP unit out. Looks different from the earlier model year.

If there's interest, I can take pictures when I take a look at mine ('05), although it will probably be another week or two.

-Rob
Do you mind me asking what happend with that code? Could it have been a result of a bad or loose gas cap?

Old 05-21-2011, 04:31 PM
robc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic_R53
Do you mind me asking what happend with that code? Could it have been a result of a bad or loose gas cap?
It was definitely the LDP unit, replacing it permanently resolved the issue. It's easy to replace, if the bolts aren't seized on too bad. I had struggled getting it out, but some liquid wrench type spray did the trick.

The gas cap throws a different code (can't remember off the top of my head). A bad LDP doesn't hurt the car but it will cause you to fail an emissions test.

-Rob

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
midwestAce
1st Gear
Since this just bumped anyway, where exactly was the pump in the right rear??

Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
tmors424
2nd Gear
Any relationship

You guys have posted and experiance with this p0442 code. Do you think there might be any relationship with the installation of a cat back exhaust system? I threw this code the day after I replaced my exhaust system. Also, is there any tests to verify or condem the pump?