Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How to demonstrate Cold Start Chatter for dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Film the event with a good digicam or similar unit as suggested earlier. Get a minute's worth of noise, maybe with the hood up for emphasis and then get a shot of something to insure that it's definitely your car doing it. You can burn that to disc so the dealer can see/hear it on a pc, not just on the little digicam screen.
As a former music recording engineer, let me add something here.

I wouldnt record it from the outside, bonnet up-- with DI and cold valve lash these engines are way too noisy when cold otherwise, plus any ambient exterior noises will cloud the situation. Best to record the noise on the inside, glove box door down, windows up. that way it WILL be heard.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I spoke with both of the SAs at Braman MINI in Miami and had the tech look at it. The noise is normal and after the car warms up it goes away, as it does. IF it makes the noise when the engine is warm, then the replace the belt tensioner or soemthing like that and it fixes the problem. However, upon cold start and about for 1 or 2 miles, that noise will reappear and as soon as the car wrms up, the noise goes away.

So, per MINI/BMW if the noise is apparent when the car is warm, then fix. If it happens when the car is cold and then disappers when it warms up, no fix.

So there you go. They do have an alert listed for this problem but as I said, they will only fix it if it makes the noise even when the engine is warm.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had not heard of this new requirement of the noise existing when the car was warm. That will deny many of the owners the fix... Most people are reporting a loud noise at cold startup, lasting 30 sec - 3 minutes.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the BMW reference document on the timing chain issue - SIM-11-02-07. There is no requirement for the engine to be at operating temperature. Indeed, the problem occurs only after the car has sat for an extended time and the tensioner piston has collapsed. Remember last year when BMW's "solution" was to purge the piston's air by running the engine at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes and announcing "Problem solved!".

If the timing chain and rails have really suffered extensive wear due to excessive slack, the engine will be "noisy", but not the sharp clatter like a diesel. Mine certainly was. Got the new chain - much, much quieter even at operating temp.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oldMGguy
I've read the BMW reference document on the timing chain issue - SIM-11-02-07. There is no requirement for the engine to be at operating temperature. Indeed, the problem occurs only after the car has sat for an extended time and the tensioner piston has collapsed. Remember last year when BMW's "solution" was to purge the piston's air by running the engine at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes and announcing "Problem solved!".
Yes! That is what the tech told me, that air gets in there and it goes away after a few minutes. Hmmmm, so what do we do? Do we just keep bringing it back and complain that it is doing it more often or occasionally when the engine is warm or what? I don't feel as if the engine is running any differently but what is the long term complication of this "hiccup" if any exist?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 PM
RUMM
2nd Gear
I'd like to know what oil everyone is using. I've had the cold start noise more than once but it has not happened since I put Amsoil 5W-40 in last fall. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RUMM
I'd like to know what oil everyone is using. I've had the cold start noise more than once but it has not happened since I put Amsoil 5W-40 in last fall. Maybe I'm just lucky?
I have no idea what year yr MINI is... so....

better check yr owner's manual to see if 5W-40 is approved. yes BMW can test viscosity and if it's NOT in the approved range it could compromise yr warranty.

OTOH the range of approved oils expanded with the 09 models; for example 0W-30 is OK now, where it wasnt before. I run 5W-30 Castrol Syntec.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:34 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
Hmmmm, so what do we do? Do we just keep bringing it back and complain that it is doing it more often or occasionally when the engine is warm or what? I don't feel as if the engine is running any differently but what is the long term complication of this "hiccup" if any exist?
I second that. What are the long term problems with the chatter happening over and over again?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 AM
jedm3
2nd Gear
Just to post my experience. I bought at Towson Mini in Maryland. I have experienced intermittent chain rattle upon startup. That is when you will hear it. I took the car in for 28k service and explained the issue. They replaced the tensioner and measured the chain travel with no further questions asked. Did not need to hear it happen, etc. I suspect that if you push the dealers, they will address the issue. I would certainly have it addressed.
John

Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 AM
RUMM
2nd Gear
Sorry I goofed, it was 5W-30 the 5W-40 was for our VW 2.0T but still no rattle all winter here in NY.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
I'll be taking Spike to get "fixed" sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm waiting for my new inlet tube to arrive so I don't waste a trip. I'll definitely post results after the procedure.