Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Weird issue: engine power loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird issue: engine power loss

Really strange thing happening to my MINI. This has happened a handful of times in the last couple of months. No problems before, less that 10,000 miles on a MC. Cat was replaced due to a defective unit 4-5 months ago.

Issue:

I get in my car and start it in front of my house. The street has a slope but this has happened going both directions and even on a flat road.

I turn the car on with the start button. Drive out of the parking spot in first gear and all of a sudden all of the rev's go down to idle for a couple of seconds. Happens when accelerating around the 2000-3000 rpm mark and it just dies down to idle for 3-5 seconds until i push on the gas again. Never happened to me before in any car.

It would be difficult for the dealership to replicate the problem because it doesn't always happen.

I believe it could be a problem with the fuel pump or the fuel delivery system. I'm pushing on the gas pedal but nothing is happening.

I know this is not normal and would like to get a fix. I've been away for a month and will take it to the dealer when I get back next week.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Since the car has an electronic throttle, that might be the problem, I've heard of some module that can go bad. Take it in, maybe they can see error recorded that will point them in the right direction.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
I am having the same problem. Its not leaving any fault codes and the car has been at the dealer for a week. They can't duplicate the problem. They also can't duplicat my engine knock, water leak inside the car or my sun roof not working. I am getting ready to talk to them about a buy back!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
This only happens when I start the car up. How about you? Are you in a MC or MCS? I think it's a safety issue.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
It happens to me all in the first 5-10 min of driving. My car has stalled a few times but mainly big hesitations hickups tach jumps around. I have some good news. My dealer sent their driver off to get gas in my car for the tech so he could drive it and it happend to her. So they are scratching their heads right now.

My car is a 2007 MCS auto.

I will keep you posted.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
My 07 MCS would stall/fail to start on the first few button pushes first thing in the morning (not every day and it wasn't cold). This went on for about 2 months off and on. Finally in December it would barely run (after many start attempts) no matter how much gas I gave it and the CEL came on. It was the high pressure fuel pump. I have a feeling you have the same thing, although with mine once it started there was no hesitation. I had about 20k on it. I made a thread on it in this forum in December.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
I have not had any starting problems yet. It just stumbles and twice stalled untill the car warms up. I am suprised it has not set a check engine light. I saw the thread about the fuel pump problems and for a while I thought that might be my problem. But I have never had the hard start issue.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Optimum CableGuy
2nd Gear
Nuts, just posted similiar problem couple of posts up....I also do not get a CEL, I have the scan gauge installed and it doesn't have any fault codes.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
So I finaly got my car back from the dealer after 2 weeks. All they did was reset the adaptation. Car did it again the very next day after getting it back. The dealer is picking my car back up on Monday. This will be the 5th attempt at fixing this problem, my sunroof that continues to not open on hot days, and a random water leak after a rain or car wash. Oh and my engine rattles but they say its normal. I told the service rep is it is not fixed this trip we will be talking buy back!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:10 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
I got my car back from the dealer and my SA said that the traction control must have kicked in. Which could be the case. Either way I have not noticed an issue for a month. Hope you all get the issue resolved.