Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Dealer replaced radio, now no MP3 suppport!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer replaced radio, now no MP3 suppport!

I have an 03 cooper S with NAV. original radio did NOT play mp3's. I had the smooth vol ****. In any temp under say 38 degrees, the display would mess up and have missing pixels. I waited til 06 to replace it, to make sure I got a newer radio. I took it to the dealer, they replaced it under Warr, with a newer radio. bumpy vol ****, and MP3 support. Sweet I thought. after they replaced it, my NAV voice never worked again. the vol would mute when it was supposed to speak, but no NAV audio. I figured they forgot to plug in the source from the nav, and thought nothing of it, figuring id pull it apart at some point and plug it in. never got to it. took back to dealer for another non related issue, and mentioned the radio issue. they found that they put in the non NAV version of the radio. they said it would take 1 week to get another. whatever, I was enjoying beating on the crappy BMW 330 they gave me. got it back, back to the smooth ****. did not think anything of it. now a few months later, I try to play mp3 cd. just sits at tr 01. my question is:

if they replaced it with newer one before, even if the wrong model, can they replace it with an older model that takes away fuctionality that I had after the first replacement? should I 8itch? or would I be wasting my time?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sadly, I don't think you have any real recourse, because technically, they replaced the radio with exactly the same one that originally came with your car. Replacing your earlier head unit with the later one was nice, but it doesn't obligate them to do it again.

The funny thing is, I can't figure out why the 2006 replacement wouldn't work with your NAV. As far as I know, there's only one head unit used in the U.S. cars - the "Boost" model, and it's the same whether you have the base stereo system, the Harman/Kardon upgrade or the DPSM upgrade. Realoem.com also lists the same part number (65126977698), whether you have NAV or not.

Also, EAS sells 2005-2006 MINI stereos for people that want MP3 & text capability, and there's nothing in their product description that warns that you need a different version if you have the NAV system.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Yeah, I'm not buying the 'wrong head unit' line. I put an '06 HU in my '04 - all works as advertised.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
cjwheeling
1st Gear
Originally Posted by raven9mm
...after they replaced it, my NAV voice never worked again. the vol would mute when it was supposed to speak, but no NAV audio. I figured they forgot to plug in the source from the nav, and thought nothing of it, figuring id pull it apart at some point and plug it in. never got to it.
there's a setting on my 2005 HK unit that changes NAV volume. It's there if you hold down the musical note for a few seconds and that option comes up.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cjwheeling
there's a setting on my 2005 HK unit that changes NAV volume. It's there if you hold down the musical note for a few seconds and that option comes up.
I have an '03 with the OEM unit and no Nav and I have the same setting. Raven9mm, are you sure you have the volume up on this setting?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 AM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
I have Nav vol now. when i picked up from the dealer, it was working. I do not however have mp3 support. I am pretty sure they found an old 03,04 HU to put in, saying that the reason the nav vol did not work, was because it was the wrong radio. I guess that it could be that they never turned it up. Unfortunatly it may be too late now, unless I go back to the dealer and tell them that I want the old one back. but im guessing they would not have it anymore. Ill call them and play dumb, saying that mp3's no longer work. see what they say. maybe if I push them a little they will just put an 05+ HU in again. doubt it, but worth a phone call at least.