Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Is Rear Camber Adjustable on '05 MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Rear Camber Adjustable on '05 MCS?

I have a fairly late build-date '05 MCS that I recently had aligned at a local tire and wheel shop after installing Koni FSD struts on OEM springs, and an Ireland fixed camber kit in the front. The alignment sheet shows the spec for rear camber to be -2.1 deg to -1.4 deg, which is in the ballpark of the Bentley manual spec of -1 deg to -2 deg (appx).

The measured camber, however, was -0.6 deg (lt) and -0.9 deg (rt), coming in the door and going home. What I'm wondering is whether there's an adjustment backk there that they failed to make or whether I need adjustable control arms to get into spec?

By the way, I did seem to luck out with the fixed camber plates in that the left measured out at -1.3 deg and the right at -1.4 deg, which I gather is pretty close for a non-adjustable setup?

Thx.

Alan

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you are lucky to have close camber numbers in front with fixed plates. My car came out to 1.8 & 1.9 with the IE fixed plates. I was pleased as punch.

Yes there is a little bit of camber adjustment available in the rear on an 05 & 06. The tech told me it was maybe worth 1/2 a degree. I ended up with 1.5 on each side.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How are you liking the FSD? Are they more comfy than OEM shocks/struts but handle better?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Alan
The factory specs for alignment have an additional spec of preload on the suspension. What the techs will do is add weight to your car during the alignment to attain this spec. This added weight will effect the rear readings much more than the front. The rear will show more neg camber with the weight in the car.
I prefer to have my alignments done with me sitting in the car as that is the way I am going down the road most of the time. I have -1.9 in front with I.E. fixed plates and -1.5 in the rear. The rears do have a small adjustment. I also try to have approx a half tank of fuel when I go for an alignment.
Steve

Originally Posted by Blu_Pug
I have a fairly late build-date '05 MCS that I recently had aligned at a local tire and wheel shop after installing Koni FSD struts on OEM springs, and an Ireland fixed camber kit in the front. The alignment sheet shows the spec for rear camber to be -2.1 deg to -1.4 deg, which is in the ballpark of the Bentley manual spec of -1 deg to -2 deg (appx).

The measured camber, however, was -0.6 deg (lt) and -0.9 deg (rt), coming in the door and going home. What I'm wondering is whether there's an adjustment backk there that they failed to make or whether I need adjustable control arms to get into spec?

By the way, I did seem to luck out with the fixed camber plates in that the left measured out at -1.3 deg and the right at -1.4 deg, which I gather is pretty close for a non-adjustable setup?

Thx.

Alan

Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Blu_Pug
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadenza - I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in rating the FSD's because this is my wife's car and I only get to drive it when we go out together on club rides or to conventions. That said, I do believe the ride quality is improved as is the handling on rough roads.

The Itch - Good point on weighting the car. I noticed my Bentley manual calls for the (appx.) equivalent of a driver, passenger, and dog in the boot for the alignment setting, so perhaps that will bring me closer to spec. I'm sure the tire and wheel shop I went to wouldn't have done that.

Thx for the inputs!

certainly must be better. FSD's, although that's pretty subjective since the car is mostly driven by the wife. I