Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My first DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
ravenofskys
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first DIY oil change

I am thinking of doing a DIY oil change on my 2005 R50 Mini automatic. My Mini has not started the countdown yet but it has been almost a yr since last one so I know she is due soon.

Anything special I should know?

Any good links to lists of what I will need?

I used to change my oil on other cars. Do I just need the oil and filter or there other things I will need? Is reseting the countdown easy or will I need a computer?

any good websites to walk me though?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
DIY oil

There's probably 100 threads with information about oil changes including a very good DIY guide with plenty of pictures.

You need: oil, filter (with new o-ring) and a wrench to get the oil filter canister off - an odd size.....

Then you will find discussions of a number of issues such as:

- people that break the o-ring on the canister and subsequently spew oild over their driveway or garage

- people who find the Incredible Hulk put their oil plug in last time at the dealer and can't get the sucka out....and or tear up the head of the plug b4 they ask for help.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
DIY oil

There's probably 100 threads with information about oil changes including a very good DIY guide with plenty of pictures.

You need: oil, filter (with new o-ring) and a wrench to get the oil filter canister off - an odd size.....

Then you will find discussions of a number of issues such as:

- people that break the o-ring on the canister and subsequently spew oil over their driveway or garage

- people who find the Incredible Hulk put their oil plug in last time at the dealer and can't get the sucka out....and or tear up the head of the plug b4 they ask for help.
- people who discover a 1/2 wrench fits the plug better than the one recommended
- people who recommend replacing the bung with a FUMOTO the first time you do this

- and the reset procedure:
1) Press and hold the trip button
2) Insert key and turn to position 1
3) Watch for RESET to appear
4) Release the button, then press & hold it again
5) Wait for the RESET to flash
6) Release the button, and then press & release (once only)
7) Service interval should then be reset to next interval
I don't mean to be an a.. .... there's a TON of info in a bunch of different threads, starting with the DIY.... Try search, it works well.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 04-08-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
ravenofskys
2nd Gear
I did look around a bit too. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A couple of tips that I learned here on NAM that helped a lot:

1. After removing the drain plug and allowing most of the oil to drain, start to remove the filter housing. As you unscrew it, at some point you will feel the seal will be broken as the O-ring allows air in. Stop unscrewing at that point and let things sit for a few minutes more. Oil from the filter will drain out into your catch pan rather than onto your engine when you pull the filter off. (If you peer under the car after the seal is broken, you can actually see a bit more oil drain out from the drain hole.)

2. A couple of tricks to screwing the filter and housing back on to the engine are:
(a) Make sure the filter is pushed as far on to the central cylinder of the housing as possible. If it is not pushed all the way in it will be difficult for you to push the housing on to the engine and get it to screw in properly.

In the picture below, notice how much larger the hole in the old filter is compared to the new one. So, the filter fits really tight on that central cylinder and requires some push and twist to get it on all the way:

(b) As you are putting the housing back on make sure it is aligned properly. Give it a slight push then twist and start screwing it in. There will be some smooth resistance as you screw it in as the O-ring begins to catch (be sure to lubricate the o-ring with a little motor oil). If there is any hard resistance, you have cross threaded it. Stop and try again.

The last two times I changed oil I followed tip (a) and had no difficulty getting the housing back on.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Our DIY section has several 1st gen Mini oil change links that may help.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:40 PM
ravenofskys
2nd Gear
Thanks!

I plan on ordering a Mann filter from MiniMania.com. Any other sites that people recommend?

Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a breaker bar handy for the oil filter housing cap. 36mm socket. Very little room to play, so once you break it loose, and back it off a little you'll likely have to use your hands to finish backing the cap off. Gloves are a good idea.

On the oil drain plug, 13mm, six point socket, 1/2" drive, and a copper mallet for "encouragement" if necessary.

I prefer the NAPA Gold filters. #7303. Comes with the new o-ring for the cap, well constructed, better than Mann IMHO. Actually made by Wix.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since there is very little room to remove the canister one of the short 36mm sockets is very useful. Here is the link to the socket at mini mania but many other vendors sell a similar socket: http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NME1051/InvDetail.cfm
I made my own by cutting down a regular 36mm socket.

Before I put the new filter in the canister, I push the new filter onto the engine block to enlarge the hole. A little twist and push helps. I then remove the filter from the block and install it all the way down into the canister. Again, a little twist and push helps. Make sure you get it all the way down into the canister or it will be hard to start the canister threads when attaching to the engine block.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Be sure to lubricate the new O-Ring!!!!!!!!

I changed my Oil yesterday after 8k since the last change and what happened last time had happened again, the new O-Ring broke causing some oil to spew out! *%&#!! It was all because the O-Ring wasn't lubricated well enough. Third time's a charm perhaps?

So I had to reuse the O-Ring that was already in there, but so far it hasn't leaked at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And as others have said, it's relatively easy once you know what you're doing.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the hardest time finding a 36mm socket, let alone a shallow one. I looked all over the place...until I thought to look with the other regular filter wrenches at the auto store. Went to Pepboys and there it was. It even said "recommended for New MINI Cooper" on the back along with a list of other vehicles.

If you're looking for one, go to the auto parts store and look by the oil filter wrenches!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Samdaman
1st Gear
Best place to buy the 36mm socket is at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14500-Oi...1584453&sr=8-1

As of today it only costs $7.04 with free shipping over $25 orders...and you know you can always find stuff to pad the order to $25 right?!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
5minutes
1st Gear
I just used a 1'' 7/16'' socket on the oil filter, and it had a good fit. Much easier to get and much cheaper.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenofskys
I am thinking of doing a DIY oil change on my 2005 R50 Mini automatic. My Mini has not started the countdown yet but it has been almost a yr since last one so I know she is due soon.
What do you mean that it hasn't started the countdown yet? After doing the reset procedure outlined above (or search for some other reset sequences to try if that one doesn't do it; seems as if there are some differences in the computers) the mileage counter should read "15500". As you drive the car it should start to read a lower mileage- I think it counts down in increments of 25 miles. With my '02 MINI I see it drop every couple of days depending on how much I drive.

If it isn't counting down you might want to visit the dealer.

Val