Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Front bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bearing noise

Ok, I am looking for some drive train experts for a front bearing type of noise as follows for an '06 S:
1. Can only hear it at low speed/rpm and hard right turn, lock or close to it. I mean like 1 or 2 mph on a flat/smooth road. Things get too noisy too quickly to possibly hear at anything faster. Definitely a whirring/wobbling type of noise, best described as simply a bearing noise.
2. No sound with similar left turn.
3. Presently ~18K miles on the clock. Likely a noise from very early on.
4. First highlighted to dealership at around 8K, and they could duplicate noise and result was replace front wheel bearings on both sides. This did NOT address the issue.
5. The service department still can duplicate, but now trying to tell me that the aftermarket springs recently installed is the culprit. This diagnosis, uh, well, to put it mildly was not accepted by myself.

Warranty almost done and trying to get fixed while still covered, as this will surely mature to a real failure down the road.

My best guess is the CV joints, but not sure if the symptoms would indicate the left or right side.

While I would not ordinarily expect any bearing on my car to die or even be making any noise at this young age, my front motor mount died at around 12K miles so early component failures do occur.

So, anyone with any advice or similar experiences here.

Thanks........

Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Any takers?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Brake disk dust shield?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have not done this yet, rotate your tires, or borrow a set of tires from someone just to go around the block. Tell them you will rotate their tires for them when you put them back on their car and you will also make a thorough brake visual inspection while the wheels are off as a payment.

I have had a noise that I would have bet the farm was a bad wheel bearing and it turned out to be a broken belt in a tire. Worth the effort and free.

YD

Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Thanks for the suggestion, but not the tires. Some of these weird noises could surely be tire noise, but not this time. I first reported the noise to the dealership 10K miles ago, and it hasn't changed through various tire rotations, wheel changes, and tire changes.

From what I have read so far in various places, this could be a CV joint, or maybe more likely the LSD noise/groan issue. The latter seems to easily enough addressed via a simple gear oil change.