Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Three groaning issues and a worried MINI owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so lately, it seems like a lot of issues have been creeping up on my mini. It's a 2006 and has 50k miles on it. I'll go through the issues below.

1) Creaking/Groaning from the front end either when turning at low speeds or when stationary.
2) Creaking/Groaning during initial braking (i.e. - every time I press on the brakes I hear this noise)
3) Creaking/Groaning during low RPM acceleration (only under 3k)

I think the 1st issue is due to a power steering problem. Lately I've been noticing the steering isn't as sharp (slightly vague) and it seems to wander erratically in very small movements on the freeway. This is combined with a vibrating steering wheel (assuming that this is due to improper tire balancing) that is offcenter (I did curb it once so I wasn't too worried about this).

The 2nd issue doesn't feel/sound like a brake issue. If I had to guess: (i) my chassis is boinked (I got in a slight front-end collision a couple of months ago ~$4k repairs - which I don't think is the cause since the noise is recent); (ii) struts are worn and are complaining whenever there is a shift from a static position; or (iii) mounts. But really I have no idea.

The 3rd issue may be connected to the third issue. I'll have to go check it out again to see if it's the same noise. Would this be an issue with a worn clutch?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

***UPDATE 4/17/09 11:10PM***

So I haven't been able to replicate issue #3, the groaning/creaking when accelerating.

However, I've been able to confirm that the groaning/creaking from turning at low speeds and initial braking are exactly the same sound. Would this indicate that it's the bushings vs. the steering rack?

Also, I was able to note something else very peculiar regarding the "nervousness" I noted previously. It was raining decently hard in Houston and I was driving on the freeway at approximately 50-60mph and I noticed that the car would seem to move slightly from left to right. The movement is pretty small and not dangerous, but I'm wondering what's causing it. Would it be the bushings or could it be bent rims or properly imbalanced rims?

Thanks for the help all.

Last edited by MINIotaple; 04-17-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Updated with new information
Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Issue (1) has developed for me as well, also right around the 50K mile mark. I don't have the vague steering feel yet (but then again, I haven't hit any curbs either). I've been meaning to check if the PS fan is working, but haven't gotten around to it.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
David Weary
1st Gear
My first question is how old are the tires? If they are ready to be changed new tires will help with some of the handling. Old worn/cupped tires can work struts excessively leading to early strut replacement and steering/handling issues. Second, power streering should be checked for fluid, if that is o.k. the pump and fan should be checked. There have been lots of posts regarding the pump failures. Good Luck

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by David Weary
My first question is how old are the tires? If they are ready to be changed new tires will help with some of the handling. Old worn/cupped tires can work struts excessively leading to early strut replacement and steering/handling issues. Second, power streering should be checked for fluid, if that is o.k. the pump and fan should be checked. There have been lots of posts regarding the pump failures. Good Luck
I actually have pretty new tires. not so new that they'd cause this issue...

Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
David Weary
1st Gear
Have you looked to see if you have any worn bushings, cracked rubber, etc. on the front or rear suspension parts?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked to see if you have any worn bushings, cracked rubber, etc. on the front or rear suspension parts?
+1
Sounds like the front lower control arm bushings have gone south.

Jim

Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimz68
+1
Sounds like the front lower control arm bushings have gone south.

Jim
how do I check these? And which problem would these things have caused?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
gran turismo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
how do I check these? And which problem would these things have caused?
I'm not sure where to look exactly for these (check realoem.com) but this could cause all three issues you have. I had a very similar situation last year on my Acura EL. A creaking/groaning at low speeds when starting up/slowing down and turning the wheel. The sounds were much worse when it was warm outside too meaning it didn't creak as much in the mornings. A "temporary" fix or possible diagnostic method would be to lube the bushings with a silicone spray. If the sound is gone or lessened, it's probably indicative that the bushings need replacement.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Which ones would it be on this website? Anybody know where else I could get them?

http://store.powerflexusa.com/shared...unt2=571494698

Old 04-17-2009, 09:12 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
***UPDATE 4/17/09 11:10PM***

So I haven't been able to replicate issue #3, the groaning/creaking when accelerating.

However, I've been able to confirm that the groaning/creaking from turning at low speeds and initial braking are exactly the same sound. Would this indicate that it's the bushings vs. the steering rack?

Also, I was able to note something else very peculiar regarding the "nervousness" I noted previously. It was raining decently hard in Houston and I was driving on the freeway at approximately 50-60mph and I noticed that the car would seem to move slightly from left to right. The movement is pretty small and not dangerous, but I'm wondering what's causing it. Would it be the bushings or could it be bent rims or properly imbalanced rims?

Thanks for the help all.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM
David Weary
1st Gear
Is the frwy concrete and has it been planed/ groved. If it is concrete and has been planed your car and especially motorcycles can have that problem. It is caused by the mutiple saw blades that cut off the high spots in the concrete. Asphalt doesn't usually have this problem so you should not experience this. The tires grab the groves and it pulls the car back and forth. Try driving on the frwy again and then on a asphalt road at the same speed and see if you can tell the difference.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
David Weary
1st Gear
As far as the groaning, check the steering rack to see if it is tightly bolted down. You may need the help of a friend to turn the wheel and listen up close for the source of the noise. Also jack up the front and see if the noise occurrs without the weight of the car on the wheels. If it does you will have the room to get closer to the source. Btw, Did you check the fluids? Got to have fluids.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:03 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Is the frwy concrete and has it been planed/ groved. If it is concrete and has been planed your car and especially motorcycles can have that problem. It is caused by the mutiple saw blades that cut off the high spots in the concrete. Asphalt doesn't usually have this problem so you should not experience this. The tires grab the groves and it pulls the car back and forth. Try driving on the frwy again and then on a asphalt road at the same speed and see if you can tell the difference.
It is concrete. I'm also starting to wonder if the tires are the issue. This is the first time I wasn't able to get my F1 GSD3s...

As far as the groaning, check the steering rack to see if it is tightly bolted down. You may need the help of a friend to turn the wheel and listen up close for the source of the noise. Also jack up the front and see if the noise occurrs without the weight of the car on the wheels. If it does you will have the room to get closer to the source. Btw, Did you check the fluids? Got to have fluids.
I checked the fluids and it covered just the bottom tip of the dipstick. Is that too little?

The sound seems to be either coming from the wheel well or from the bottom of the car and echoing out of the wheel well... I jacked it up and the noises are far reduced (quieter plus it only happens at the very end of the wheel lock)

Last edited by MINIotaple; 04-18-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:47 PM
David Weary
1st Gear
Add fluid, all steering pumps make noise at the end of the steering travel. I would not worry about the back and forth it is the combination of the tires and the road. Live life and worry less. Bushings could be repalaced but they can't be that bad yet considering your mileage. Just watch your tires for uneven wear.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
kazlot
4th Gear

You say that you curbed your car, that your steering wheel is off center and that you were involved in a front end collision.

Have you done the following:

Re-balanced your tires?
Had a 4-wheel alignment done by a qualified shop?
Checked to see if the upper strut bearings need to be re-packed with grease?

Also have you as other posters have said:

Added P/S fluid?
Checked the steering rack for tightness?
Checked for cracked or worn control arm bushings?

The next question to ask is was all the required repair work done or did something get inadvertently overlooked?

Hope this helps...

Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Has anyone had any luck in getting the front control arm bushings covered/replaced under warranty? If so, how? What did you tell them?

I get some odd noise out of the front now and then and some imprecision out of the steering wheel and am also close to the 50k mile mark.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Answers below in blue. I just replaced the fluid yesterday, but it still seems to be having the issue. I'm starting to lean toward replacing the bushings. Can anybody point me to what bushings will need to be replaced and where I can get them? One of the shops quoted all 18 for $559 and labor of $600. I don't think I need all of them, right?

Originally Posted by kazlot
You say that you curbed your car, that your steering wheel is off center and that you were involved in a front end collision.

Have you done the following:

Re-balanced your tires? yes
Had a 4-wheel alignment done by a qualified shop? yes
Checked to see if the upper strut bearings need to be re-packed with grease? no, how do i do this?

Also have you as other posters have said:

Added P/S fluid? yes
Checked the steering rack for tightness? no, how do i do this?
Checked for cracked or worn control arm bushings? no, how do i do this?

The next question to ask is was all the required repair work done or did something get inadvertently overlooked? all the repair work was done by dealership...

Hope this helps...

Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
David Weary
1st Gear
I think it is time to buy a shop manual or after market manual (after market manuals never cover the important stuff). A true shop manual if available from the dealer can cost $$$$. The shop manual for my porsche 911 was hundreds but well worth the money for all of the work I do on it. Check with the dealer that sponsers this web site. They have very good prices.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Creaking and Groaning

Right, you don't need them all.

The control arm bushings (item 8) are found here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=31&fg=05

Mini-Madness are found here:
http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...rodID=323&HS=1

Powerflex (item 1) can be found here:
http://store.powerflexusa.com/shared...unt2=571494698

Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Answers below in blue. I just replaced the fluid yesterday, but it still seems to be having the issue. I'm starting to lean toward replacing the bushings. Can anybody point me to what bushings will need to be replaced and where I can get them? One of the shops quoted all 18 for $559 and labor of $600. I don't think I need all of them, right?
I'll try to answer your replies to my questions (your answers in blue) from post #15

I have I.E. fixed camber plates and I "assume" that stock camber plates (realoem item 01, guide support) are the same as mine.
If that is correct, the bearing, a non-sealed ball bearing encased in rubber pressed into a steel plate,
is accessible by removing the covering cap (realoem item 03) for packing with grease.

On my car they creak and groan if not kept full of grease.

Go here for the parts listing:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=31&fg=10

The control arm bushings (item 8) are found here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=31&fg=05

To check the steering rack bolts, next to the rubber booties on main unit, go here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=32&fg=25

Hope this helps...

Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
so after refilling the power steering fluid and the problem persisting and getting worse, I finally took it to a mechanic. The front passenger-side lower control arm was apparently loose and was traveling up and down. $50 bucks later and it's all fixed...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
SKL
1st Gear
Figure I need new rear control arm bushings for the front control arms. Looking in my Bentley service manual, it may be more than a "simple" DIY. I do a lot of work on my cars as I enjoy it, but they say you have to drop the subframe to get the bushing carrier out? That sounds a little complicated for a weekend project!