Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2009 scoop melting???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 09:37 AM
belhaven
Neutral
Originally Posted by n733lk
HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED A SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN UNDER-BONNET HEAT?
One of my club members had this mod done by Way & when we went out on a spirited drive through the twisties of North GA his engine area was significantly cooler than unmodded turbos.

Old 04-30-2009 | 06:07 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Well I am not sure if this is something but I have a theory based on what I saw on my car. I was going to take my scoop off just to take a look at removing some of the grill and when I went to pinch the little plastic clip to release it my scoop poped up a little once the sides were in enough for it to move up. That fastner is in the middle exactly the place where my dip is starting form. It seems is was creating quite a pull down on the scoop. Could the scoop not be getting hot enough for the pull of gravity to warp it but rather just getting a little soft and this center fastner pulling it down in the middle. This would explain why the dips seems to be in the middle vs the left side where the hot part of the turbo is and possible different clips were pulling more than others causing some scoops to dip while other are fine. I left mine not pushed in to the point where it locks in place and pulls the scoop down. I will see if this stops any more dipping. So for now hurry up and wait.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 scoop melting???-big-picture.jpg   2009 scoop melting???-detail-picture.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010 | 01:35 PM
jag333
Neutral
I have a 2009 S and my chrome scoop was bubbling/melting after only owning it for a few months. The dealership replaced it recently under warranty.

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:09 PM
spinned
4th Gear
I had mine replaced. My dealer says if it happens again, they will replace it with carbon fiber. I still have two more years on my warranty so I don't care much. I plan to have the carbon fiber one by this time next year.

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:22 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
My 08 made it around 10000 miles and the first scoop melted. I was able to get a Carbon Fiber by talking with the SA where as it is over 3 hours to the closest dealer and I did not want to keep jumping back and forth. Pulled off the lot and installed the M7 Turbo Heat Shield. Drove to my destination and then opened the vent holes with a dremel tool. Now with aver 25,000 miles no problems yet.

Old 01-03-2010 | 11:03 AM
sequence
6th Gear
mine was warped and meted at about 7500 miles and was cheerfully replaced by my dealer. now that I have a lockable garage, whenever I feel a lot of heat coming from that area I pop the bonnet about a foot and let the heat escape. next on the list, a Dremel tool to open more holes.

Old 01-03-2010 | 08:06 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Mine is dipping - started after 3 months of ownership. I released the center snap as described by SaltnPepa and the dipping decreased somewhat. I will still need a replacement and I will go with a carbon fiber and pay the difference. Then the decision will be to paint the carbon fiber (I know heresy) or leave it natural on my dark silver MCS.

Old 01-03-2010 | 08:18 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Mine is dipping - started after 3 months of ownership. I released the center snap as described by SaltnPepa and the dipping decreased somewhat. I will still need a replacement and I will go with a carbon fiber and pay the difference. Then the decision will be to paint the carbon fiber (I know heresy) or leave it natural on my dark silver MCS.
I like the look of the Carbon Fiber with the dark silver Make sure you point out to the SA that they can pay to have the new one painted and then do it again or they can go for the Carbon Fiber one. It took a little talking but my SA finally agreed and I drove out with a new Carbon Fiber scoop Drop over to the Dark Silver Owners Club forum

Old 01-03-2010 | 08:20 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Installed M7 heatshield before I drove home from the dealer,2300 miles of VERY VERY HARD DRIVING and 20 + dyno pulls later and my scoop is still like new.

Old 01-04-2010 | 02:42 PM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
WFIW I talked to my SA advisor about the "Melting Issue" He said MINI has had 3 revisions of the scoop with change in plastics and the addtion of the holes in part of the grill. He has not see any of the updated scoops come back for replacmet but they have not been around for that long. He said one time replacement from MINI. As to cutting the extra parts out "any mods could affect warranty". I can't see anything on my car but if I run my hand along the gap I think I can feel a little dip but it could have been that way from day 1 since I did not feel it till now.
He's right - the parts have been redesigned, but to be honest, the cost of a CF one versus a new primed one, sent to our local body shop to get paint matched, is about the same - feel free to request one in its place, it's a bolt on mod and should last a long time, add some cf bling-age, resist heat, and avoid paint mismatching, etc.

Same goes for the rear grip handle - if it needs to be painted body color, ask for a CF one instead - prices should be similar.

Mirror covers, on the other hand...

Old 01-04-2010 | 02:59 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Yeah, my side-view mirror covers have already started melting...

Old 01-27-2010 | 01:06 AM
jameszimo
2nd Gear
Old 01-28-2010 | 07:15 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Took my '09 MCS convertible into the dealer (Global Imports - Atlanta) today for some minor items including the drooping hood scope. The SA was not at all willing to sub a carbon fiber scoop or even discuss me paying the difference. I was surprised as I had read where others with other dealers had better luck. The SA advised that they could only continue to replace it with the same part...even if it took multiple scoops.

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:28 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jameszimo
These are good news, but i still think it's worth getting a heatshield for added peace of mind.

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:51 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
I know that when they did my swap the SA at first did the same we will paint one and then you can come back and we will install it. However the dealership is 3.5 hours one way and after pointing this out he said I would have to file a claim with MiniUSA. When I said no problem his tune changed, I would recommend that you contact MINIUSA and see what they can do to help you especially when you were willing to pay the difference.

Old 03-03-2010 | 12:01 PM
russr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jameszimo
Curious if anyone has gone in recently and received this new hood scoop? I wonder when the metalized hood scoops will be available for those of us who are having issues.

Old 03-04-2010 | 07:17 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
I like the look of the Carbon Fiber with the dark silver Drop over to the Dark Silver Owners Club forum
Tron Chief - you are right the CF looks awsome with dark silver. I went ahead a got CF as I don't want to be bothered with multiple replacements of plastic scoops even if it is under warranty. I am happy with the decision and the look It really pulls the dark silver and the black hood stripes together.

Old 04-11-2010 | 09:23 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Melting Scoop Fix

Was at the Mini dealer last week ( to have the scoop replaced, again) & was told the new metal reinforced scoops will be out @ June. They are not sending out recalls but if your scoop is melting, you will get one of the new ones, if still under warranty. We only have 13,000 miles on our Mini (a 12-2007 model) & the 3rd scoop was installed. Will get a 4th this December.

Old 04-12-2010 | 08:07 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Tron Chief - you are right the CF looks awsome with dark silver. I went ahead a got CF as I don't want to be bothered with multiple replacements of plastic scoops even if it is under warranty. I am happy with the decision and the look It really pulls the dark silver and the black hood stripes together.
NICE !!!

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:51 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NJP
Was at the Mini dealer last week ( to have the scoop replaced, again) & was told the new metal reinforced scoops will be out @ June. They are not sending out recalls but if your scoop is melting, you will get one of the new ones, if still under warranty. We only have 13,000 miles on our Mini (a 12-2007 model) & the 3rd scoop was installed. Will get a 4th this December.

It would be funny - if it weren't so aggravating. It is amazing that BMW can get so many things so very right but when they blow it they tend to continue to replace the same defective part with the same part forever. Hood scoops have been melting on MCS since 2007 !! Hope your 4th one is the end of the problem for you!!

Old 06-24-2010 | 03:44 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
anyone get the new scoops with the metal yet?

Old 06-25-2010 | 05:07 AM
jag333
Neutral
Nope. The replacement scoop I got in January melted already and I'm on the list to get the new one whenever they are available.

Old 06-25-2010 | 05:23 AM
Guitarfrk75
3rd Gear
Mine was warping the same week I bought the car... I may upgrade to the CF one whenever I take it in. We'll see whether they'll do it for free... I have thought about drilling out extra holes on the lattice across the front. It seems like that would help with cooling both while driving and venting while not driving...

Having said that - the melted one looks like it has a dimple... I find that cute... is that strange?!

Old 06-25-2010 | 06:01 PM
jrm175
1st Gear
2008 Hood scoop warping after 37000 miles

It will be two years in August. I just noticed my hood scoop warping today.
Approx 37,000 miles. It funny- last weekend it was good a long road trip and 90+ temps and now it warping. I thought it wasn't going to after this much time.

Old 06-25-2010 | 07:43 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
On my last service, I complained of the chrome scoop warping. They offered up a CF replacement without me having to ask.

Quick Reply: 2009 scoop melting???