Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2009 scoop melting???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
russr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize this thread is a bit old now, but I'm still curious if anyone has replaced the new hood scoop that is supposedly metal infused. Also, for those who got the carbon fiber replacements, are those not susceptible to warping from heat?

Also, how do you guys think a CF hood scoop would look on a Mellow Yellow MCS?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 PM
russr
5th Gear
I called up my SA today and he confirmed that there is now a new hood scoop part. He said he didn't know if it was metal infused, but it is definitely a new part.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
spinned
4th Gear
I had my scoop melt on my 09 JCW at about 9,000 miles and replaced it about a year ago. I can tell that the replacement scoop is now also beginning to sag. I am waiting for summer to have it replaced. My dealer told me that if i come in again for the scoop, they will install the carbon fiber one. It is good to hear that a new part may now be available. Once the warranty is up, I guess we will just have to live with it.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My CF replacement has been flawless and still looks like new. It looks great on my dark silver. It would probably go with just about anything color wise - particularly if you have black hood stripes.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
MiniJonny
2nd Gear
Getting my hood scoop replaced next week. I will let everyone know if it is of a different material now. The SA confirmed that the part number is different and he said it is a 'permanent fix' to the warping problem.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:12 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniJonny
Getting my hood scoop replaced next week. I will let everyone know if it is of a different material now. The SA confirmed that the part number is different and he said it is a 'permanent fix' to the warping problem.

Please let us know the part# and also some pictures of the new hood scoop, thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
russr
5th Gear
I'm going in next week as well for the same thing. SA said, the hood scoop itself is not different, but there is now insulation under it that is different from before.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
MiniJonny
2nd Gear
I guess we will find out shortly

Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Mini Mania Info
Banned
See post # 68.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
This will be my 3rd scoop. Going in this Saturday to drop off under warranty. For me they melt about every 15k. Let you guys know what they put and i'll take pictures of it! Last SA told me to buy the heat shield. I laughed and told him mini should buy it for me! The ballz they have sometime!

Last edited by leomulhollandiii; 04-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by leomulhollandiii
This will be my 3rd scoop. Going in this Saturday to drop off. For me they melt about every 15k. Let you guys know what they put and i'll take pictures of it! Last SA told me to buy the heat shield. I laughed and told him mini should buy it for me! The ballz they have sometime!
Maybe they should buy you a CF one

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Maybe they should buy you a CF one
I think the "smurf" would look pretty nice with a CF scoop! either way the dealership we have sux and they will do little if anything to help. hopefully they will be nice enough to finally help us out!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a VERY simple and surprisingly NOT very expensive fix for this. The new metal heat shield that MINI Mania has pointed out in post #68( BTW that is an OFFICIAL BMW/MINI PART he has it for $37.50 I dont think mine cost that much but I get discounted pricing and ultimately my dealer actually comped mine) will solve the warping issues. The install is super easy you line the sheild up with the scoop and some holes that are already there and then the two plastic gravity screws hold it all in place(dont even really need tools). I was worried about rattles or other issues but its been fineMy brand new 2010 Cooper S warped within the first month of ownership and I have had my scoop with the new shield installed since the new shield came out however long ago that was and no sags.

I got my dealer to comp me one since I was being patient while waiting for the "new metal infused scoops" that dont exist and probably never will(only place I know that really ever said a new scoop was coming was motoringfile.com and they have been wrong about MINI offerings/fixes before). My dealer got tired of me calling every few weeks and there has NEVER been an updated part number for the scoop unless the parts people at my dealer are liars or incompetent and I believe they are neither( I have a super relationship with my dealer and know ALOT of their employees through our auto club).....

So I guess what I am saying is even if you have to fight your dealer for it or even if you have to pony up the 30-40$ yourself get the sheild and your problem should be solved like mine. I would just politely but firmly tell my dealer look you can have me in replacing my scoop the minute it has even the slightest droop since this is a known issue OR you can comp me the heat shield and not have to pay 300 a pop in repairs every couple of months.

Last edited by Kodan; 04-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I put Way Motor Works turbo wrap on my turbocharger.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-turbo-heat-shield.html

It keeps the heat in the turbo and off the plastic scoop. I've had no problems with the scoop.

Dave

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I put Way Motor Works turbo wrap on my turbocharger.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-turbo-heat-shield.html

It keeps the heat in the turbo and off the plastic scoop. I've had no problems with the scoop.

Dave
Looks great but a bit pricy! for 200 bucks need to know if it is still worth it!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by leomulhollandiii
Looks great but a bit pricy! for 200 bucks need to know if it is still worth it!

DUDE have you not read any posts !?!?! Several posts have directed you to post number 68 from this very thread with a solution that is under $50 that WORKS.... In fact its the official BMW/MINI fix. Go buy one it works I have one on my car and it has stopped the problem. MINI Mania wants 37.50$ and shipping and it was similar in price at the dealer.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kodan
DUDE have you not read any posts !?!?! Several posts have directed you to post number 68 from this very thread with a solution that is under $50 that WORKS.... In fact its the official BMW/MINI fix. Go buy one it works I have one on my car and it has stopped the problem. MINI Mania wants 37.50$ and shipping and it was similar in price at the dealer.
Yup i have read the post My is still under warranty. So i'm not going to pay right now for something that is their defect. And the one i was sent to with the heat wrap was $200 bucks. So before you get all bent out of shape like the scoop problems we all have had......relax and go take you car for a spin to unwind! Not a big deal. if you read my earlier post i said i was taking it in this weekend under warranty to have it replaced. i was hoping that they would get me a CF one that is all my friend! Refer to post 85!

Last edited by leomulhollandiii; 04-28-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
I am not bent out of shape. I just do not understand why if your car is under warranty you are still asking about fixes when all you need to do is take your car in and let them fix it. You can then do just exactly what I did and what I already told you to do which is talk to someone higher up at the dealer and explain how them comping you the part will save everyone hassles. If you point out its a less than $40 part and it will save ANOTHER several hundred dollar fix in a few months/weeks I think you will find them willing to help. At worst get your car fixed and eat $40 bucks for the part its less than a tank of gas now.....

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kodan
I am not bent out of shape. I just do not understand why if your car is under warranty you are still asking about fixes when all you need to do is take your car in and let them fix it. You can then do just exactly what I did and what I already told you to do which is talk to someone higher up at the dealer and explain how them comping you the part will save everyone hassles. If you point out its a less than $40 part and it will save ANOTHER several hundred dollar fix in a few months/weeks I think you will find them willing to help. At worst get your car fixed and eat $40 bucks for the part its less than a tank of gas now.....
I totally agree with you but I didn't ask anybody about fixes. Everybody started telling me how and what to do. hell i just said it would be nice to get the CF for my car cause this is the third time it has gone in. that is all. And because i'm a lot of changes to the car i will get a nice heat shield for it. but thank you for your concern.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
hey let me know what they put! hopefully not some mangled piece of crap under the bonnet

Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
The $175 turbo wrap is more than a solution for melting hood scoops, it is a performance mod. A turbocharger is a heat engine, keeping the exhaust side hot improves the turbocharger's efficiency and helps it spool up faster during changes in load. keeping the under hood tenperatures down is a side benefit.

Dave

Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
The $175 turbo wrap is more than a solution for melting hood scoops, it is a performance mod. A turbocharger is a heat engine, keeping the exhaust side hot improves the turbocharger's efficiency and helps it spool up faster during changes in load. keeping the under hood tenperatures down is a side benefit.

Dave
I've read several tech articles and talked with some mini mechanics and found that is not the case. if heat can not disperse out of the turbo even on the exhaust side law of thermal dynamics states hot goes to clod. so with that is will pass through the grease or oil in the bearing breaking the molecular bond for lubrication thus destroying the bearings in the turbo. the proper way is to channel the heat away from the turbo thus leading to cooler temps all the way around!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
The center bearing in the turbocharger is water cooled on a MINI, unlike many automotive turbochargers, which are cooled by the lubricating oil. That and the use of synthetic oil, which breaks down at much higher temperatures than standard lubricants, keeps the center bearing safe from lubrication breakdown and bearing failure.

I am an engineer with many years experience dealing with industrial diesel engines. They all have water cooled turbochargers and they all have lagging (insulation) on the hot side of their turbochargers.

They run for many thousands of hours without bearing problems. Thinking back, I haven't ever seen a turbocharger pedestal bearing bearing fail, that's not to say they don't, just that it is a rare occurrence.

Dave

Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
The center bearing in the turbocharger is water cooled on a MINI, unlike many automotive turbochargers, which are cooled by the lubricating oil. That and the use of synthetic oil, which breaks down at much higher temperatures than standard lubricants, keeps the center bearing safe from lubrication breakdown and bearing failure.

I am an engineer with many years experience dealing with industrial diesel engines. They all have water cooled turbochargers and they all have lagging (insulation) on the hot side of their turbochargers.

They run for many thousands of hours without bearing problems. Thinking back, I haven't ever seen a turbocharger pedestal bearing bearing fail, that's not to say they don't, just that it is a rare occurrence.

Dave
Ah good to know Mini now installs a heat shield for free with the new scoop under it. so that problem is now solved. A found out from my SA today that installing a OCC does not void warranty and is suggested because the mini burns so much oil on the turbo.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM
leomulhollandiii
3rd Gear
Smurf is back in the garage after a day at the hospital. Minor issues fixed. be back Tues for the new scoop with factory install heat shield for free curiosity of mini and the solve to the problem! now you know and knowing is half the battle!

Quick Reply: 2009 scoop melting???