Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

help! diagnose this sound!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 03:44 AM
ives
|
1st Gear
help! diagnose this sound!

my poor mini is acting up and it only has 3900 km on it...can anyone help me figure out what is going on? The engine is constantly rattling, not purring like it usually does and this has been progressively getting worse in the last few weeks or so. I thought getting an oil change would help solve the problem but after doing so at the dealership on Monday, it's now sounding worse! I have also noticed that if I try to accelerate in any gear (but more noticeable in lower gears), i hear a "whoosh" sound from the engine after taking my foot off the gas, as if the turbo is not responding right... it's definitely not gettingn the acceleration it usually does. I'm really worried and don't know much about cars to begin with; appt with the service dept on Wednesday but sick to death about my mini! I'm not entirely sure how warranty works if indeed I have to get things fixed -- do I pay for the diagnostic appointment and/or any labour involved with problems covered under warranty?

would appreciate any help...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnaI5-kuTk

Old 04-26-2009 | 05:56 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ives
my poor mini is acting up and it only has 3900 km on it...can anyone help me figure out what is going on? The engine is constantly rattling, not purring like it usually does and this has been progressively getting worse in the last few weeks or so. I thought getting an oil change would help solve the problem but after doing so at the dealership on Monday, it's now sounding worse! I have also noticed that if I try to accelerate in any gear (but more noticeable in lower gears), i hear a "whoosh" sound from the engine after taking my foot off the gas, as if the turbo is not responding right... it's definitely not gettingn the acceleration it usually does. I'm really worried and don't know much about cars to begin with; appt with the service dept on Wednesday but sick to death about my mini! I'm not entirely sure how warranty works if indeed I have to get things fixed -- do I pay for the diagnostic appointment and/or any labour involved with problems covered under warranty?

would appreciate any help...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnaI5-kuTk
Unfortunately, it sounds pretty normal to me. The car does sound like a diesel which is pretty common. Mine sounds almost the same.

Do you have a footage for the whoosh you talked about. I am not sure about the lack of acceleration as we do not see it in the video.

No, you do not pay for diagnosis under warranty. If there is a problem, they will cover all parts and labor.

Old 04-29-2009 | 09:33 AM
ives
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the help. I took it to the servicing today and one of the mechanics did a test drive with me...said all the noises are normal and no engine light on so nothign to worry about. It certainly sounds different than what i remember of picking up the car but I suppose that is normal? I have plenty of warranty so hopefully any major problems will pop up before it runs out. Cheers!