Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

04 S Battery or Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S Battery or Alternator

Driving an 04 with the original battery. Stopped to ask directions last night ( yes I know ) and went to restart the car. Took the second try and upon driving the Power steering 5A fuse had popped. Lights were on for all of this. Went about an hour before next starting and upon starting the following were inactive- low beams, tach, gas gauge,temp gauge and AC/Heat/blower.

Made it home holding the Hi beam lever back to activate the passing lights.

At home tested all of the smaller ( 20A and less fuses ) were ok and reset the 5A PS fuse. Charged the battery for 30 minutes....all was good for a short 1 mile test drive.
Is this a dead battery condition that would be common...please advise as the wife is not a happy camper to be driving this car today!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 AM
lou
2nd Gear
FOUND IT !

Looks like a simple fix. When I pulled the 5A fuse to get the Power steering back, I borrowed the fuse from one 5A location that indicated a DSC location for fuse...wither one up or down from the PS slot. It was dark, no flashlight, and didn't realize the spares were on the side of the compartment.
Took the battery for testing to the Autozone folks...great shape and is nearly 5 years old.
Went back home...plugged everything in and was OK. Then started pulling fuses to duplicate the failure and found the 5A at fault.
NOW...is a blown Power steering fuse reason for alarm????????

Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM
healey67
4th Gear
Do you have a convertible?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM
lou
2nd Gear
No it is a hardtop--in 2004 no convertibles were available yet.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:08 PM
robc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lou
Looks like a simple fix. When I pulled the 5A fuse to get the Power steering back, I borrowed the fuse from one 5A location that indicated a DSC location for fuse...wither one up or down from the PS slot. It was dark, no flashlight, and didn't realize the spares were on the side of the compartment.
Took the battery for testing to the Autozone folks...great shape and is nearly 5 years old.
Went back home...plugged everything in and was OK. Then started pulling fuses to duplicate the failure and found the 5A at fault.
NOW...is a blown Power steering fuse reason for alarm????????
How does the power steering fan underneath the car look?

-Rob

Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
lou
2nd Gear
Battery/ Alt. NO - Power Steering Pump/Fan?

Just got the call from the wife. PS pump out again...same conditions..wet and rainy. I will hop under the car and check the fan operation and if there are any obstructions or wires to be found. Oh boy. Thanks guys.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
robc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lou
Just got the call from the wife. PS pump out again...same conditions..wet and rainy. I will hop under the car and check the fan operation and if there are any obstructions or wires to be found. Oh boy. Thanks guys.
I think that if the fan is failing or obstructed it can pop the PS pump fuse and/or cause the PS pump to overheat and shutdown. It can get awfully dirty down there and its very exposed if you haven't put a skid plate over it. You'll find it directly behind the oil pan drain bolt.

-Rob

Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robc
I think that if the fan is failing or obstructed it can pop the PS pump fuse and/or cause the PS pump to overheat and shutdown. It can get awfully dirty down there and its very exposed if you haven't put a skid plate over it. You'll find it directly behind the oil pan drain bolt.

-Rob
Good point and it's worth checking!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:05 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Power Steering

Wow...I can't thank you guys enough for the ideas. This time for the failure there were no fuses blown. I jacked up the car and pulled the plastic cover from the cooling fan off. I spun the blades of the fan with my fingers and there was an abrasive sound, dragging feel for a few revolutions and then it freed itself up. Still doing this all by hand. Maybe a small rock was up in there? I don't know yet. Did a few miles test spin and all was good again.

New questions: 1) does the PS shut down when overheating without blowing fuses? 2) would I damage the PS if I drive it again to the point of failure or hard steering ? 3) is there a quick test to see if the fan is still good? 4) is there a vendor on NAM who stocks the PS Cooling fan? it looks easy enough to replace.

Thanks again. I will look up other cases on 2004 S models on the site.