Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hot Engine-Impending Doom or Paranoia?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
RGCOOPER
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently I have noticed the engine getting very HOT after stopping and turning off the engine. This happens after either long or short trips. The supercharger pre-intercooler horn is hot to the touch as normal, but gets progressively hotter in time and gets so hot it radiates heat like an oven. This heat can last for hours. I do understand that everything acts as a heat sink and will heat up with the car not moving, but seems to heat up within minutes of turning it off. Is it common for this to happen? I did not notice this happening during the somewhat cooler months here in SW Florida.

Please consider these things before responding:

1. I live in Florida and it is hot!
2. The car runs fine and I notice no change in drivability, in fact it runs great.
3. The oil (Mobil1) level is fine and has been in the engine for a few thousand miles. My oil pressure gauge indicates good pressure throughout the RPM range and I have not seen any oil pressure warning light. I do not have an oil temperature gauge and have no idea how hot it gets.
4. Coolant level is fine and is circulating in the coolant tank. The water temperature gauge does tend to rise quickly to the halfway mark, but never goes beyond. The cooling fans cycle as normal and run continually with the A/C running.
5. Supercharger sounds normal, no strange noises or knocking sounds.
6. Engine MODS: 15% pulley, Oil Catch Can and TSW damper. I was planning to install a DDM intake this weekend.
7. I drive the car normally (a little spirited). I never track the car.
8. The car is a 2005 MCS with fewer than 44K miles.

So what do you think? Am I paranoid or is this the sign of something catastrophic soon to happen to the engine? Is the supercharger generating all this latent heat? Has anyone experienced this before a failure? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think what you are seeing is normal heat soak of the engine after shutdown.

Keep an eye on your coolant & add if needed. Sounds like you have a good handle on what your MINI is doing.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Check the fan sensor. If it is getting that hot after you shut down the fan should kick on and run until it cools down.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
ea6b607
1st Gear
I notice this as well on mine. After about 10-15minutes the cylinder head cover and the intercooler/supercharger/inlet outlet pipes all get quite hot. I personally would say around 110F on some hotter days, but I'm horrible at estimating temps.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM
RGCOOPER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
I think what you are seeing is normal heat soak of the engine after shutdown.

Keep an eye on your coolant & add if needed. Sounds like you have a good handle on what your MINI is doing.
I think your correct...... I'll be keeping a eye on it. I ordered an infrared thermometer and will use it to monitor how high the temperatures get.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
RGCOOPER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by checkers
Check the fan sensor. If it is getting that hot after you shut down the fan should kick on and run until it cools down.
I will check it out.
The fan runs normally when the engine is running. Runs when the A/C is on.
I have never heard the fan running when the ignition is off.

I need to some more research on testing the sensor.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Assuming your coolant system is not faulty, it shouldn't have any problem dealing with FL's ambient temperature. The only way to know is to scan the ECM and find out the temps for coolant and oil.