Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Throw-out bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
hegira
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw-out bearing?

Hi,
Emily is an '02 MCS with around 41,000 well-cared-for miles, never (rarely) abused, and a six-speed tranny.
I've never (rarely) smoked the tires, and am pretty good with a clutch.
So, what I've noticed is this; just lately, after she's warmed up, when I depress the clutch pedal, at the last inch or so of pedal travel, I'm noticing a "crunchy" feeling. I only notice it at a dead stop.
It almost feels like it needs lubrication.
When she's cold, the pedal feels slicker'n snot on a doorknob.
The clutch doesn't slip at all, and shifts as smoothly as ever.
Could this be indicative of my throw-out bearing giving up the ghost?
Thanks,
Hegira

Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM
puppyknuckles
2nd Gear
I was just about to post a similar question - I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am having almost the exact same issue. Maybe we can both learn something.

My 05 Cooper S (22K miles) just got a new clutch last month from the dealer (because of the rattling flywheel issue, a new clutch was part of the deal, but they didn't replace the throwout bearing unfortunately- I asked). Now in the last few days I notice that when I am clutching in or out, especially the more power I am asking the clutch to deal with, the more I "feel" it through the pedal. I feel the "crunch" or "texture" pretty much through the whole pedal throw. The condition worsens as the car warms up, like yours does. But if the car is idling in neutral and I push the clutch in, it's smooth, even with the warm car. My clutch has to be dealing with some power to feel it but it's really noticable when I am making a run up to cruising speed. It is not slipping at all and otherwise it works fine. At first I thought "I am just feeling the clutch working, it's fine", but now I am wondering if it is a sign of a bad throwout bearing. My dilemma - my warranty ran out last week. The dealer did the clutch job though so should there be a separate warranty on that work? What would ya'll do?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by puppyknuckles
My 05 Cooper S (22K miles) just got a new clutch last month from the dealer [...snip...] My dilemma - my warranty ran out last week. The dealer did the clutch job though so should there be a separate warranty on that work? What would ya'll do?
I would definitely take it back to the same place and ask them to warranty it. They had it last month, fixed something, and a new clutch problem developed within weeks? I think you can make a good case that they should cover the repair to their repair. Car has problem, car went in for repair, a few weeks later, car has problem with the same system that was just repaired? Looks pretty clear to me.

(I would also expect them to try to wiggle out of it, especially if they don't think they can get Mini North America to reimburse them for the parts and labor.)

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:47 PM
hegira
3rd Gear
I'll gladly share the stage with someone named "Puppyknuckles".
If I'm not mistooken, the work done on your clutch should come with, at least, a 1 year warranty. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them to fix it under warranty. Most reliable dealerships want, and in this economy, need, a good reputation.
Just bring a gun with you....

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
puppyknuckles
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hegira
Most reliable dealerships want, and in this economy, need, a good reputation.
Just bring a gun with you....
Happily, they were really easy to work with before. They knew I was on NAM when I walked in there the first time, I have no idea if that made any difference but I did sing their praises after they treated me well.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have had symptoms like what Hegira and I have experienced with the clutch feel. Should the clutch in a MINI *always* be perfectly smooth or is there any "feel", "crunch", etc.. that is normal?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
puppyknuckles
2nd Gear
Actually, Hegira, after reading your post more carefully I realized that we are having opposite symptoms - you claim you feel crunchiness only at a dead stop. Mine is only when I'm moving and when there is power flowing through the driveline. When I am at a dead stop my clutch feels smooth as glass (or snot on a doorknob, even). Maybe someone can elaborate on what that difference might be?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
slocraiger
2nd Gear
I just had my throwout bearing replaced under warranty; 06MCS with 38k miles.
In my car, even with the engine off and in neutral, if I slowly released the clutch pedal I would feel the "crunchy" in pedal at the top end. Southbay Mini replaced the throwout bearing under warranty, said the clutch was fine and feels perfect now.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=puppyknuckles;2795635]When I am at a dead stop my clutch feels smooth as glass (or snot on a doorknob, even). Maybe someone can elaborate on what that difference might be?quote]

Well, glass is inherently smooth by itself without a lubricant. Snot would be more slippery than smooth when on or off a doorknob. Hope that helps

Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
diabhalta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by puppyknuckles
My 05 Cooper S (22K miles) just got a new clutch last month from the dealer (because of the rattling flywheel issue, a new clutch was part of the deal, but they didn't replace the throwout bearing unfortunately- I asked). Now in the last few days I notice that when I am clutching in or out, especially the more power I am asking the clutch to deal with, the more I "feel" it through the pedal. I feel the "crunch" or "texture" pretty much through the whole pedal throw. The condition worsens as the car warms up, like yours does. But if the car is idling in neutral and I push the clutch in, it's smooth, even with the warm car. My clutch has to be dealing with some power to feel it but it's really noticable when I am making a run up to cruising speed. It is not slipping at all and otherwise it works fine. At first I thought "I am just feeling the clutch working, it's fine", but now I am wondering if it is a sign of a bad throwout bearing. My dilemma - my warranty ran out last week. The dealer did the clutch job though so should there be a separate warranty on that work? What would ya'll do?
I am having this EXACT same issue, I just purchased my 05MCS about 2-3 months ago (from Mini dealer), it has 41k miles... I wasn't sure if it was just me being paranoid?? Did anyone figure out if it is the throwout bearing? Lack of warrenty is my dilema also

Last edited by diabhalta; 08-29-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
puppyknuckles
2nd Gear
OK, thread officially hijacked. Sorry hegira.

I think if it's not "crunching" while the car is stopped, idling, it's probably not the throwout bearing. This is what I've been trying to understand. If the bearing were shot I think it would have to be rubbing at a stop also. I am starting to think that, like my "notchy" shifter that I've gotten used to, that it may just be the way the clutch pedal feels in my car. Still hoping for some objective opinions!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Same symptoms with my 03 MCS and 64000 miles. It only does it when its hot though. If its 60 degrees or cooler the car can be driven all day and it does not do it. Much warmer and eventually the clutch gets a little stiffer and feels rough at the end of travel. I plan on putting a new clutch and LSD in it in about a year so as long as its nothing that will fail catastrophically I am not too concerned at the moment. Any one else know exactly if what is failing?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the crunch as well... instantly knew what it was, but i am out of warranty, so I will deal with it. Will replace it one of these days when i decide to get a new clutch/flywheel. It is amazing how that feeling can transfer to your foot...it feels like it is actually the pedal that is catching on something under the dash.

I had my clutch replaced less than 20k ago, but i dont think they did the bearing.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My MINI exhibited those exact same symptoms. It stared at about 20,000 miles & progressively got worse. My dealer told me it was my throw out bearing. At 37,000 miles they replace the throw out bearing along with the clutch disc & pressure plate, but not my flywheel. I'm at 57,000 now & all is well.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ouch. This seems like a problem that is growing more common on these threads. I had that same thing, the crunchy, squeaky, rubbery feeling when depressing the clutch. I replaced everything: the clutch, flywheel, shaft sleeve, throw out bearing. And everything is ok now.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Ewie86
2nd Gear
Looks like I'm having the same issue as many of you on here. I noticed it bad yesterday, but this morning it seems to be a little better. Does anyone have a rough price to get this fixed?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I have had this sensation since practically new; my car is now at 107K. Its the throw-out bearing. Poor design. $1500 in labor to replace a $25 part. I've put up with it and will continue to do so until there is another reason to take everything apart.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Ewie86
2nd Gear
So it's not necessarily going to cause damage to the car driving it like this?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
No guarantees. By itself it won't cause additional damage, but there is the chance that it will suddenly fail, without warning, leaving you unable to disengage the clutch, making shifting (and hence driving) 'challenging.'

Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
See new thread today, 'which clutch release bearing' for more on this topic.