Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINI some times does not want to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI some times does not want to start

Ok, i tried searching but all i found was about dead batteries but mine is not dead im sure of that...

So this is the deal, from time to time my mini doesnt want to start, Ive noticed that this happens more during hot/summer days than during winter/cold, and ive also notices that this happens more when i turn the car on and off a couple of times in a short period of time.

Why am i sure that the battery is not dead? well my previus battery had a good charge but even though i still replaced it just to make sure it was not the battery what was causing the problem, and even with a new battery i still get the same problem.

what happens?... well i turn the key and i can hear the fuel pump working, the electronics work, lights work, but the engine doesnt crank.

I am thinking is the starter, maybe moisture gets in there during hot days or something, i dont think is the alternator cause the voltmeter has been showing the same voltage all the time, i would love to hear what you think guys...

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Oh i forgot to mention: some times when it doesnt want to start i just wait five or then minute then i try again and it works lol... thnaks!

Last edited by MiNi_MaC; 06-15-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Mattias
1st Gear
Sounds like a classic starter but there is also a starter relay switch. How it works is ehen you turn on the key to start the car the ignition switch activates the relay which then gets power directly to the starter... A defective starter and the relay can have the same symptoms. Depending on how acessible the starter connections are, when the car wont start when it is hot try and jump the starter directly from the battery (or the power source in the engine compartment that is used to jump the car on the S) if the starter works when you do this you know its the relay if it doesnt then you know its the starter.. Hope this helps..

Best regards,

Mattias

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
reluctant starter '05 MCS

I've started to experience the same starter issue myself. Like MiNi_MaC, I thought my battery was beginning to poop out (64,000 miles) so I bought a new one. Nonetheless, the problem persists.

My experience is that, occasionally, the starter doesn't engage on the first try but works on the second try - without any wait at all. It's summer here in Colorado but it hasn't been particularly hot, just rainy.

I haven't explored the starter vs. relay test as suggested by Mattias yet. I'll have to find them first. I'm hoping to discover some kind of loose connection that's easy to tighten up.

Anybody else having the same experience?

John

Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Johnna... i used to just take out the key and try again and it used to work for me too, but now that trick its not working for me anymore, thats why i just wait a couple of minutes then try again... I guess i am gonna have to start looking in to how to change the starter!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
start problem solved .... misteriously

Odd but true. I took my car in for the 60K service. During the service, the tech found and cleared some security codes (sorry, I didn't get the numbers) Ever since the service visit, the starting problem disappeared. My car now starts on the first twist of the key - first time - every time.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Victa
2nd Gear
i had the same problem. and it only happened on really hot days. it ended up being the starter relay switch which was replaced for $180 at the dealer since i am now out of warranty