Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Goofy MINI Cooper issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
airics
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goofy MINI Cooper issues...

Ok, hello, i have 2 mini's.. both 2003, both stick shift, yellow at 40k, green at 57k... yellow never ever had a problem... green is weird...check engine light is on.. car starts fine, after one minute, light blinks for a few seconds wants to stall then goes steady again till im done driving.... runs fine... obd is dead..cannot read codes.. airbag light is also on... outside temp is always wrong when i start car, after 5 minutes, its normal... Any ideas... i have the same identical car (yellow), im half tempted to swap the computers to see if it changes anything.. Called Classic mini, they want 300 to diagnose with no guarantees.. pure b***s***! any help would be appreciated.. it actually feels like a misfire.. compression is normal.. go figure.. maybe i should just change the plugs out.. but why the dead obd port

Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flashing check engine

means a code that is supposed to correspond to something that can cause further damage. Don't swap the ECU, it will mess with the immobilizer and all that stuff. It won't work and may cause more issues. FWIW, if you go straight to the ECU with an OBD scan tool (correct protocol and wiring) you can talk a bit to the ECU without it being in the car. That would test if the OBD-II interface works. One MINIs (and BMWs) more than one communication protocol (and baudrate) exist on the same line. It is possible that other things on the buss are screwing with it, or that the wiring is screwed up. You'd need an o-scope and some serial line diagnostics to really check....

Check into other independant BMW shops. Many have factory diagnostic tools, and won't be suck ****heads about the diagnostic charge, or at least charge less to check it out.

When you find out what's up, let us all know! I'm always game to learn some other way the cars screw up.

Matt

Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
airics
1st Gear
i also read that the underhood diagnostic port cover may be off and cause some issues... where is this port located?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no clue...

I didn't even know that there was one!

Matt

Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
airics
1st Gear
anybody else?