Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

ABS - DSC - (!) lights on randomly

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Topmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS - DSC - (!) lights on randomly

(did the search and found only stuff pertaining to r53)

well just got my car back after 1month 8 days without it.
my dealership rear ended my car into a wall or something and had to buy a complete new alta turboback exhaust.

anyways...
everything was good too it out on highway, and after 160 miles stopped for food, and thought it would be a good thing to restart the car so the headlights would self align because they were too low and i wasnt seeing anything on the highway.

to my surprise when i restarted it the ABS DSC and (!) lights came on. and they wouldnt go off (rested the car 3 times)

so i drove another 20 miles and stopped again restarted the car and it didnt work. went into the fusebox thingy under the hood, looked for F6 (abs) and took it out (it looked fine) and put it back in.

This fixed the problem and i drove home perfectly fine.

TODAY however same thing happend. but the light wouldnt go away and after 3 different times taking out the fuse and popping it back in did it get fixed.

IM getting kinda paranoid on my mini breaking down every 2 mins, and i want to blaim everything on my dealership but maybe if this isnt a common problem on the R56 then maybe it has something to due with the fact that i wired up my driving lights to the fog lights so when i turn on the fogs i get my driving lights on too.

i doubt thats the problem but i let you guys decide.

(ps: my handbrake sometimes is wierd cuz the parking(!) light comes on and the emergency brake isnt even engaged. )

Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
I'd take it back and, rather than outright blaming your shop for this, ask then about a possible misadjustment of the hand brake. It sounds odd that pulling the fuse is actually re-setting anything, I think it's more likely something else is happening while you're fiddling around with the fuse.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Topmini
3rd Gear
well the shop installed my turboback in their facility since they messed it up.
now today the ABS DSC lights were only on during the initiating sequence (around 2-3 secs after hitting the START Stop botton)
i dont remeber if that was normal or not.

i did alot of driving today and it worked just fine.
exept for when i got home.. i had to park on an incline and turned it off, and 40 secs later restarted it to put it in the driveway. <this is where the DSC ABS lights kicked in>

im too tired and lazy to go ahead and remove the fuse and pop it back in.
il wait til tomorrow se if it gets fixed if not il resinsert it.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same issue with my mini. I actually had to take it in twice b/c the first time the dealer didn't fix it correctly which is usually how they do things at Brian Harris Mini Service. :( They replaced the break fluid level sensor which was faulty (I believe there is a puma rpt out on that and I will post it tomorrow when I can look through my papers.) the 2nd time they replaced the actual abs sensor I believe which they had a rpt out on that as well. It didn't have anything to do with a fuse and I don't believe there is anything that we can do about it. Has to be brought in for service. The abs / dsc light coming on when you start it is normal. This bug only seems to happen to early / mid build date 07's. It's funny I came across this thread b/c I'm actually in a loaner 07 mini b/c mine is in the shop getting a timing chain ,,assambally, and tensioner replaced but my loaner has this same issue now. It is a mid build 07. My best friend's mini who lives like a mile from me has a mid build 07 and he had the same issue as well. I haven't heard it happening to any 08's or 09's till now. lol Keep us posted and good luck!!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Topmini
3rd Gear
thanks for the info. it seems my car is a early 2008 build (im not sure cuz i dont know how to check this can you tell me how?)

and i found a way for the ABS DSC lights to not com on, its gona sound stupid but it is working..

right when i start the car and the DSC ABS lights come on... i yell "NO PLEASE NO NOOOOOO" and they dont stay on... hahahha

its being really random because it will show the lights... then il leave it over night and it will work fine the next morning.

also my parking break button is making a sound now... and this lights comes on randomly too.

thanks again

Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
My understanding is that "puma" reports aren't technical in nature. PuMA is the name of the data managment system that MINI dealers use to forward serious warranty issues to corporate headquarters. Any one PuMa report is applicable only for the car it was made for and only documents the warranty claim, not the technical issue that initiated the claim. Go read post #239 in the Cold Start Issues Database thread.

If you're looking for general maintenance information, MINI uses a system called TIS to distribute maintenance procedures, Service Bulletins and the like.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:37 AM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken G.
My understanding is that "puma" reports aren't technical in nature. PuMA is the name of the data managment system that MINI dealers use to forward serious warranty issues to corporate headquarters. Any one PuMa report is applicable only for the car it was made for and only documents the warranty claim, not the technical issue that initiated the claim. Go read post #239 in the Cold Start Issues Database thread.

If you're looking for general maintenance information, MINI uses a system called TIS to distribute maintenance procedures, Service Bulletins and the like.
That's right. It's the SIM #. I guess my car being in the shop over 30 times has had some puma reports and that was what the SA was referring to. hah She is in the shop for the upteenth time for this alone and it's going on 2 months....