Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch Slipping? No noises. Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Slipping? No noises. Upgrades?

With 74K on my 02 MCS, I'm pretty sure my clutch is slipping. Almost all my driving is short distances around town, very little freeway time.

At first, I thought it was just me getting "older"...I just don't jump on it like I used to, so I accelerate more slowly, and seems like its lagging.
I have been writing this off to the stumble, which is worse since my last visit to the dealer (?2 years ago? ) when they remapped my ECU. I really miss my MTH.
Anyways, lately I notice that no matter how much I rev the engine, the car picks up speed slowly, or surges.
Thats the clutch slipping, right?t I don't have any noises, seems like everyone else talks about noise.

[And yes, I do have trees but i don't want to wedge my car against them and rev it up in fifth... ]

Sounds like the clutch job is more than I want to tackle (i've done alot of turning wrenches, complete brakes and bushings, suspension, all kinds of engine work on my Dodge diesel).

Are there any upgrades that are a "must"? I'm less high performance minded these days, but I want to at least know what upgrades are out there, and what they accomplish. (Hard to stop modding )

Thanks..

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The drive belt can slip without noise. How old is yours?

I hear that the Clutchmasters FX100 can have loads more holding force yet remain smooth and long lasting.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can do the clutch slip test in a empty parking lot with your hand brake up; not necessary to wedge up to a tree.

I also vouch for the clutchmasters.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
Thanks, I'll do the slip test. And my drivebelt has been on for 4-5 years.
I changed it when I got my pulley.
My tensioner was really tight at that time and we had to put on a slightly larger belt (Randy Webb).
So maybe now things have stretched out alittle.

I'll check if I can slip the belt, or does it have to be running?
And how could I tell?

I got a quote from a local bmw mechanic. He reccd change the flywheel with to a Velo?? (forget the name, single disc and lighter)
I told him I want to change the fllywheel, not worry if it still lokks good,
do it while he's in there.

He quoted me $1500, which doesn't sound unreasonable given how much time it takes.
I'll check into the FX100. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The thing about the clutch and flywheel is that both parts are pretty much right next to each other. If your going to be paying labor to get it done, the price difference to swap them both up shouldn't be that much greater. With that said...

A clutch and a flywheel job is a 10 hour job. If he quoted you 1500 for just the flywheel, he's basically charging you 150 an hour which is pretty expensive. My opinion is that since your swapping out the flywheel. Do the clutch as well. And try to aim at anything that is lower than 100 an hour.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My last clutch job was only $900 about a year ago.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
The $1500 included 9.5 hours labor at $100/hr plus a clutch/flywheel replacement, which costs $750, so total $1700, but he knocked $200 off since I was buying the parts from him.

He comes highly reccommended, specializes in BMWs (Motorwerks).
Aside from the first-and last-maintenance check at the dealer's, I haven't had anyone else work on my car. So its worth it to me to spend what it takes to get the job done right.
My Diesel mechanic also charges $100/hr, and I haven't had him work on my truck yet either, but when I need it he's the guy I'll go to. I'm sure there's somebody just as good out there charging less, but the problem is finding them--the first time around...

here's the clutch/flywheel he recommended...I think the stock MINI clutch is made by Valeo? The standard clutch without flywheel he quoted at $280
He said the OEM flywheel was $750 manufacturer's price, but he recommended get rid of the dual mass flywheel--lighter and less moving parts too.

The conversion kit he reccomended is here--and it comes with both clutch/flywheel.

http://www.valeoclutches.com/index.asp?pgid=61

Anybody familiar with it?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several decent aftermarket kits out there...

I wouldn't go much below a 15 lb flywheel (the ACT flywheel I have is 13.8 and rattles a bit, lighter will rattle more). The mechanic is right when he says get rid of the dual mass unit. It's rather trouble prone... Many have the ClutchMasters set up, and there's Spec and a couple others as well. Since you don't have lots of mods, pretty much any of the companies that do Mini clutches will have one that will work for you.

Matt