Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine stumble, a different type

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:22 PM
nomoreE36
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]I'm glad I found this thread because I have been having a similar issue on my 2004 MCS. The engine hesitates under wide open throttle at lower RPMs. Basically, if I am in 6th gear on the highway and floor the gas pedal, I get one "stutter" about a half second after I have floored the gas pedal. This issue never happens going through the gears or at higher RPMs. However, it does seem to happen more at lower temperatures.

I talked to Chad at Detroit Tuned, and he recommended to do a few things:
1) Reset the engine ECU. This can be done by disconnecting the battery, or doing the manual ECU reset (I'm sorry, I don't have the link, but I found the procedure over at MINI2). The theory behind this one is the engine ECU has a difficult time adapting to the switch over to winter gas here in Michigan.
2) Check the spark plug torque. I have a 15% pulley with new plugs, so I don't know if this is necessary if you have stock plugs. ** make sure you do this when your engine is cold **

I reset the ECU and checked the plug torque (the torque seemed OK) and the hesitating condition did improve, but it didn't completely go away.

I will check the coils on my car as soon as I get a chance. Anyone have a picture of what I should be looking for?
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I killed 5 birds with one stone,

about a month ago i was chasing a miss, stumble, hesitation, i had poor off idle throttle response, I took out the sensor in the front of the intake, made a rubber nipple to adapt it to a smoke machine, After plugging off air filter with a bummer glove over the nipple for my filter in the Alta box i filled the engine with smoke, i kept getting a trail from some where low on front of motor, hard to pin point with fan and radaitor in the way,

So i ordered a "Profile" gasket one from air intake tube between throttle body and supercharger, Week later i took front of car off,

I re smoke tested with front of car off, I did have a leak at this gasket,

I did find the service records from my car, it did have a clutch at 31,000 miles, So maybe a Reinstallation mishap.

While i was in there, i changed super charger oil, oil pan gasket, Welded in baffles like mini mania pan,

But i also notice the rubber elbows one on fuel pressure regulator rotted and cracking, also one to on intake end to hard plastic line heading back on left side of valve cover, So i just replaced all the vacuum lines, But as factory had them, I did it this way and drove it a few days before changing them For the VGS set up As in this post
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ystem-vgs.html

Car is running amasingly better, just wish i had a local BWM dealer to reset my ECM

Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Megs
Neutral
Originally Posted by Vernon29RW
can you be more specific with exactly what your car is doing??? I dont know if you read my posts about my "stumble" (I call it a hesitation) but I'll tell you again. It happens in any gear, at any operating temperature, only at a throttle position past 50% and only between 1000 and 3000 rpms. I've changed my BPV to a detroit tuned version and I also changed my map sensor (the one in the intake manifold) with no luck on either part. I was thinking it may be a coil as well but if the coil was bad the car would stumble all the time no? It wouldn't be sooo specific as my car is. Once the car climbs past 3000-3500 rpms it clears out completely and pulls as hard as normal. Also when heel-toe downshifting the engine seems as though it does not want to rev as easily as it did before. Its almost like its getting cut off and will only rev about 500 rpms with a quick blip of the throttle. Where as before I could do a quick blip and it would rev 1500 to 1700 rpms and downshift nice and smoothly. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong and the dealer won't touch it cuz it has a pulley, cai, and catch can on it. The car is still under warranty but they claim they "can't get any good readings from the sensors" which is total BS!! They just dont want to work on my car..........a'holes!!!

So do you have similar symptoms to me?? I'm very curious because it would be nice to have similar people to compare problems to and maybe together we can come up with a solution because these lame *** dealers aren't interested in helping us

Look forward to your reply,
Steve
Finally, someone with my exact same problem (in regards to the stuttering). I only notice it if I drop below 3000 RPMs. I haven't had a chance to take it into MINI yet due to finances... but will be doing it at the beginning of the new year. Included with that problem though is if it stutters really hard - my DSC light will turn on and not turn off. MINI says that can be synonomous with an engine issue. It also seemed to start after trying new gas that my MCS '05 really didn't like. So, I'm trying some fuel cleaners now and seeing how that works. I'm also due for an oil change in about 5000 miles, so that might help too. Guess we will see when I can take it in here in a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. Thing is- if I can keep it about 3200 rpms my entire drive to work, I'm fine. But as soon as I have to slow down for some slow idiot, it drops me to 3000 or below, and it stutters the majority of my drive if I can "push through it" by driving it waaayyy about 3200rpms for a minute or two. But if I'm going more than 30 miles, it doesn't matter what RPMs... it begins to stutter. Anyway - rambling now....

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 AM
VividLividity
Neutral
Megs, I am having the same issue with my 05 r53. I have replaced the plugs, wire, and coil pack. I reset the ECU when those didn't fix the issue. It seemed to fix the issue temporarily (about a week) and now it's back. Did you find out anything from the dealer? Did your problem get resolved and how? I'm getting extremely frustrated. The dealer has been awesome about not charging for all the return visits, but I'd like to have my car in my possession for more than 2 weeks at a time. Please, please, please help with any information you have acquired.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 PM
lawduck
Neutral
Originally Posted by VividLividity
Megs, I am having the same issue with my 05 r53. I have replaced the plugs, wire, and coil pack. I reset the ECU when those didn't fix the issue. It seemed to fix the issue temporarily (about a week) and now it's back. Did you find out anything from the dealer? Did your problem get resolved and how? I'm getting extremely frustrated. The dealer has been awesome about not charging for all the return visits, but I'd like to have my car in my possession for more than 2 weeks at a time. Please, please, please help with any information you have acquired.
My similar problem turned out to be a dirty sensor that measures boost (not sure of technical name). Diagnosed by comparing actual to measured boost (after noticing flux in measured boost). I hope that helps.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
VividLividity
Neutral
Finally got the car to throw a code. P0301 - a misfire in cylinder one. Double checked the plugs. No dice. Got creative and swapped the fuel injectors between 1 and 2 reset the codes and took it for a spin. Same code same cylinder. Driving me crazy. Any other ideas? The dealer is doing a compression and leak down test tomorrow. This problem is going on for almost 2 months now. HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP. I'm about to torch and/or crush this r53 just out of spite.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am working on a 2005 Cooper S doing the same thing. Bone stock except for 15% pulley and a cool air intake.

It has brand new plugs and the coil and wires are good. I even swapped coil/wires from another car.

Does anyone else have any success story?