Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

True cost of "free" maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
True cost of "free" maintenance

My Clubman S is a year old now with 6400 miles on it. I guess I can take it to the dealer for a free oil change. My closest dealer is 450 miles away (Northwest Mini in Tacoma Washington), my lady friend is going to want to come along and stay in downtown Seattle (given the fact that we'll spend about 14 hours driving and a few more hours at the dealership, she'll want to stay 2 nights) the cost will end up like this.

900 miles round trip at 38mpg at $3.00/gal = $ 70
2 nights at the Westin $206/night = $412
Dinner at Ray's Boat House = $ 75
Dinner at Ivor's = $ 75
Lunch at Pike's Brewery (with beers) = $50
Trip through Pike's Market = $100

Total $782
Also, Griot's Garage is across the road from Northwest Mini, so I'll drop another $100 there while my Mini is getting serviced.

I think I'll just do the oil change myself.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Good logic and good math.

Though Ivar's and Pike's Place Market always cost me a buttload more than that.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 AM
NjMCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Idea...

Plus they won't do the oil change (or even try to schedule you) until your service computer says it's due within 1,000 miles. My MCS, originally indicated it should be due at 15,000miles, however this number changes based on they way you drive.

So now it has been over a year since I took delivery and I'm at 16,500mi and the service indicator says I still have 2,500 miles until I'm eligible for the free oil change...

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
I believe all US dealers do a free oil/filter change (only) after one year, as well as the full scheduled service later when the OBC specifies.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by corcoranwtnet
I believe all US dealers do a free oil/filter change (only) after one year, as well as the full scheduled service later when the OBC specifies.
I can vouch for this. I took my MCa in to South Bay MINI in Torrance, CA in Oct '08 for a one year anniversary (car had 12k miles) oil change only. Then went back in Feb '09 for the balance of services as determined by the OBC (car had 15k miles).

YMMV

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Nitrogen
1st Gear
MINI Roadside Assistance?

"Oh no! I need a tow to the nearest dealership!"

Yes, I have a little bit of an evil mind. No, not enough to actually try it.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Yep, the MINI maintenance logbook states change the oil when the computer wants to, or at least once a year. Today's synthetic oils really will go safely up to 25,000 miles in normal street use before they deteriorate as the additives break down.

NAPA and other supply stores now carry the oil filters (you may have to wait a day or two), Moss Motors stocks them (same wait), and Mobil One oils are approved.

If you want to change your own oil, the filter is hidden under the radiator overflow tank on the left side of the engine bay. Unbolt the tank and move it aside (don't unhook anything), then loosen the filter housing a few turns as you drain the oil from the sump. Allowing air to get into the filter housing will let the filter drain back into the sump. Otherwise, you'll have a fine mess of oil dripping all down the side of the block as you remove the filter. Been there!

Last edited by oldMGguy; 07-01-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: wrong part ID
Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by oldMGguy
Yep, the MINI maintenance logbook states change the oil when the computer wants to, or at least once a year. Today's synthetic oils really will go safely up to 25,000 miles in normal street use before they deteriorate as the additives break down.

NAPA and other supply stores now carry the oil filters (you may have to wait a day or two), Moss Motors stocks them (same wait), and Mobil One oils are approved.

If you want to change your own oil, the filter is hidden under the windshield washer tank on the left side of the engine bay. Unbolt the tank and move it aside (don't unhook anything), then loosen the filter housing a few turns as you drain the oil from the sump. Allowing air to get into the filter housing will let the filter drain back into the sump. Otherwise, you'll have a fine mess of oil dripping all down the side of the block as you remove the filter. Been there!
I think you mean the engine coolant overflow tank (MCS only)? Good info otherwise.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...just be happy your nearest dealer isn't in Las Vegas! Think how much that oil change might cost! You might have to walk home if the cards turned against you...

Old 07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
I think you mean the engine coolant overflow tank (MCS only)? Good info otherwise.
Doh! You're right - overflow tank it is. I corrected the original post - Thanks!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Sounds like a fine excuse for an enjoyable weekend to me.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
steve216
2nd Gear
I just took my mini in for my states inspection, I only had it for almost a year with 9700 miles, and they threw in a free oil change with it. They wanted $100 just to rotate my tires though, That's something I can just do my self.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miniclubman
...just be happy your nearest dealer isn't in Las Vegas! Think how much that oil change might cost! You might have to walk home if the cards turned against you...
I'm glad I don't live there! I'd be in debt faster than I can say "Where's Jimmy Hoffa?"

Big Jim, I've just as many problems as you regarding the free service. Mine is due sometime around November and it won't be "free."
oil change at BMW/MINI of Dallas: free(?)
fuel burned up driving to and from home: $4 at about 35 mpg
trip to Galleria (I'll always wind up buying SOMETHING there; triple-level shopping malls are deadly to my wallet!) $10-20
lunch at WhichWich $7.50
off-trip excursion to local library to pick up DVDs and books: another $4 of gas
So yeah, you're right. There's no such thing as "free" maintenance.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Short of sitting in the waiting room and doing nothing (boring), I end up walking around, looking at the other Minis and BMWs on the lot. Then I take a BMW test drive and a Clubman test drive. Sometimes I cross the street and test drive a Mercedes and then walk down the street and test drive a Lexus. If I'm not careful a simple service visit could get expensive as I could end up with a new car. In the end I long for my Mini and my grin is even bigger than before when I finally get my car back!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Short of sitting in the waiting room and doing nothing (boring), I end up walking around, looking at the other Minis and BMWs on the lot. Then I take a BMW test drive and a Clubman test drive. Sometimes I cross the street and test drive a Mercedes and then walk down the street and test drive a Lexus. If I'm not careful a simple service visit could get expensive as I could end up with a new car. In the end I long for my Mini and my grin is even bigger than before when I finally get my car back!
That's scary! I admit that I had to bring my car in to get something installed and, the entire time, I felt the urge to walk the dealer lot and drool at the other MINIs. One day, I'll lose the battle and wind up with two MINIs.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
Well money can;t buy everything, but for everything else there is a Master card! Just felt like saying it.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
I took my Clubman to the dealer in February for an oil change after its one-year anniversary (3,000 miles). The oil change was free, but I spent the entire time looking at and buying MINI hats, a watch, and other MINI stuff to the tune of $300. I don't even count the 110-mile drive as an expense as it was just so good to hit the road with it for a long drive.
I'm kind of glad I don't live closer and they probably are too as I am known as a MINIAC there.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Looking at another post, I'm shocked by how different the levels of service are at some dealers. Can anyone post their experiences at these dealers:
MINI of Dallas, Moritz MINI (in Arlington)

Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 AM
blackedout
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
what happened?

(i have a cold start chatter appt tuesday)

Last edited by blackedout; 01-04-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: blah
Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 AM
blackedout
1st Gear
Originally Posted by steve216
I just took my mini in for my states inspection, I only had it for almost a year with 9700 miles, and they threw in a free oil change with it. They wanted $100 just to rotate my tires though, That's something I can just do my self.
you can buy jacks and stands a plenty, too

Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
To all of you MINI owners who don't live near your dealer: the car can be towed to the nearest dealer at no cost under roadside assistance, provided there is a concern (ie flat tire, etc.) On top of that, they'll tow it back to you as well (it's called a reunite) I'd personally let the air out of one tire and call it in as a flat - then get everything done while you're there lol. If you aren't comfortable with that, you could always just call MINI USA and complain - they're pretty easy to work with, and well aware that the dealers are few and far between.

That said, if you do decide to do your oil yourself, just make sure you use an approved oil - most of us have a BMW dealer near us if a MINI dealer isn't, so purchase the oil from them. There are a few others, but check before buying. Same with the filter - no FRAM's . The microfilter will come up every two years, same with the brake fluid. Maintenance covers front/rear brakes as well, so watch the intervals, and make sure you get in when they're due so they get covered free of charge - front brakes have been wearing anywhere from 19k-25k, rears 30-35k. Wipers are covered, all fluids topped off too.

Tires and alignment are the only things not covered. Tires are easy to wear through - expect fronts before 30k, rears not too far after (40k ish). Get an alignment once a year or every 15k and that will extend. Uneven wear is the #1 reason we replace tires here - front tire wear is a close second with heavy footed drivers like myself

We are one of two dealers that cover a four state area - we are more than familiar with the "convenience" of the included dealer maintenance, so the above should help some. Learn your car's OBC service info function to confirm the mileage intervals and save unneccessary trips - if the oil is showing as due within 2,000 miles or less we can perform the service, but if the front brakes are 4k away, drive it a little more to save a second trip. And the above posters are right - oil is annual or mileage based, so each year (within the same month of the last service) come on in for a change too.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Free -Yes----Save $$$$---NO---

I went for my free yearly and got a set of driving lights installed. I'll probably get a CD changer at the next ""FREE"" maintenance. I don't know how much more free maintenance I can afford.
Ronnie948

Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll probably go for the JCW Enigine Tuning kit at my next "free" maintenance interval.....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yikes. I feel your pain.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
The only problem with doing the oil change yourself is the lack of documentaton that an oil change was done within specifications. Hence, the dealer or a mechanic should be used to change the oil in the warranty period at leasat once a year just in case some issue with the motor arises and they deny coverage for no proof of maintenance.

Quick Reply: True cost of "free" maintenance