Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
snooprob
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon buildup

So to close the topic from my previous post of non-starting 2007 CooperS which I had to get towed to the dealer due to suspected HPFP.

Upon evaluation I was informed the HPFP was fine (although it would have been covered by warrenty). The problem was carbon build-up in the top of the motor. I was at 51,175 miles, and was thusly out of the 50k mile warrenty and out $1200 dollars for the cleaning. I would have been out the fee for towing had I not called mini directly and be informed that my 4 year unlimited mile roadside towing was still in effect. Thanks dealer...

Anyway, having the carbon cleaned out seemed to fix it right up. Also, they give me the usual 'use good gas' and 'use injector cleaner' lines. That has nothing to do with carbon fouling.. the fuel does not go through the intake and in over the valves like old motor designs. It injects right into the cylender (direct injection) and thus carbon build up is a side effect of that design - no fuel flowing over valves to pull off deposits.

So that's my story of a non HPFP problem.

-Rob

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
i got denied warranty due to FMIC..

Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by snooprob
Upon evaluation I was informed the HPFP was fine (although it would have been covered by warrenty). The problem was carbon build-up in the top of the motor. I was at 51,175 miles, and was thusly out of the 50k mile warrenty and out $1200 dollars for the cleaning. I would have been out the fee for towing had I not called mini directly and be informed that my 4 year unlimited mile roadside towing was still in effect. Thanks dealer...

-Rob
That was part of what we were told, too. The suggested solution was walnut shell blasting. Give our history of strict "top-tier" gas use, our second-opinion mechanic suggested pursuing the electrical items first. Maybe some time in the future we'll need it, but we've put about 75 miles on the car since we put plugs and coil on, and there's no evidence of the rough running.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Thruxton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
i got denied warranty due to FMIC..
Anybody else? I bought my Mini Used with quite a few mods yet Im suspecting my HPFP is failing. Im worried the dealer is gonna tel me to go fly a kite becuase of my mods. Intake, exhuast, BOV, chip (i think?)

I'll sometimes get a check engine due to emissions, however i thought that was from my exhaust - might be HPFP? Also, i dont get "clean" power if i get on it, seems a bit jerky and not smooth clean pull all the way through the revs. inconsistent.

Finally, and i dont think this is HPFP related, but my turbo will just cut out periodically. It only happens when Im really getting on it, and usually at highway speeds - 65mph +. When it cuts out i dont get any check CEL's or anything, i jsut have to pop it out of sport mode and put it back in auto - let it get into 6th gear and then feather the throttle untill it spools back up - usually takes about 5-10 seconds.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
HPFP problems show when you try and start the car. Mine wouldn't start on the first button push. It would start on the 2nd, maybe 3rd, always first thing in the morning. Finally it wouldn't start at all. Thruxton's problems are probably from the mods, not the pump.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
mini cooper
1st Gear
nobody should expect these cars to live past 100,000 miles, they are the worst built cars on the road today PERIOD... I had carbon build up at 25000 miles 36000 and 50000 miles then again at 75000 miles on my dime because the dealer warranty will not pay for it. Valve broken at 109000, and then the problems have been constant for the last 10,000 miles.....HPFP replaced... thermostat replaced..... blow of valve replaced..number 2 coil replaced....and now i have a cold start issue that the dealer had said was another HPFP but after changing it the problem still exists. i have spent nearly $10,000 in repairs in the last year. I have changed the oil every month since i have had it and i bought it with .5 miles on it, i use only chevron gas and i commute 150 miles a day. These cars are fun to drive but dont buy one for daily commuting.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:54 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
Well I am back. 2nd MCS now 2010 model with 10kms. My car is just blowing BLACK exhaust and they replaced the hpfp,fuel lines,fuel rail and MAF. It's still doing it, this will be my 4th time in 3 months and 3 of those times are within 3 weeks!
I wish I never bought this lemon mini. :(

Old 09-04-2011, 06:25 AM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
I don't know the history of your issues. Are you saying this is the 2nd MCS with the same problem? Have you asked them about a trade assist? How long have you had the MINI?

Originally Posted by dorkboy
Well I am back. 2nd MCS now 2010 model with 10kms. My car is just blowing BLACK exhaust and they replaced the hpfp,fuel lines,fuel rail and MAF. It's still doing it, this will be my 4th time in 3 months and 3 of those times are within 3 weeks!
I wish I never bought this lemon mini. :(

Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
Yeah I had a 2007 mcs and last august at 91000kms I had to get a new hpfp. Then I traded in my 07 for a new 2010 mcs in december. In May then for the last 3 weeks I have had black smoke/misfire issues. My new dealership replaced the hpfp 2 weeks ago, my car had 10000kms and was 9 months old. Then last week all the same issues happened again, so they replaced the maf, and sadly for me, it all came back yesterday.

Here is a video of my problem. Enjoy, it's a rare diesel mini! http://youtu.be/Qndg_6fdnSc

Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Did you do a regular trade-in between the 2007 and 2010? What is the dealership telling you it is?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
yeah, my 07 had really high kms, and they gave me a great price on my old car, and they were clearing out the 2010's for new new 11's that were coming out.
I was told my Mini Crowfoot (Calgary, Alberta), that there were absolutely NO problems with the 10's. The sunroof, cold start, etc... were all fixed. But they lied to me, my sunroof doesn't work, it had the cold start once, plus now all the other problems. The only lucky thing for me, is that I moved from Alberta to BC and this dealership is really honest and nice, not jerks/liars like Calgary.

Well, if they can fix it, then my car will probably get traded for something else.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:38 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
I'm glad they're nice but they still need to fix the problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 PM
turbotraveller
1st Gear
My less than 19.000 mile r55 has had two HPFP replacements and the carbon buildup issue over over the last 4000 miles. Three separate incidents with varying symptoms from would not run to just a CEL light warning.
Everything has been covered under warranty despite many mods (including FMIC).
The HPFP is actually the fuel injection pump and it runs at very high pressure, almost 3000 psi. If the pressure drop is small, the car will just not run right at full throttle or freeway speeds, a big pressure drop and the car will not start.
The free loaner minis have been fun. The '11 MCS coupe with the manual made me aware of how so many people can have clutch problems. And the '11 MC clubby with an auto trans made me appreciate having an 'S' version.
I love the combination of performance and great fuel mileage in a car that is fun to drive, but this car is supposed to be more reliable than my other (57 years old next week) British car. Some things never change, and as it seems, I will never learn.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM
ThatMiNiGuy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dorkboy
Yeah I had a 2007 mcs and last august at 91000kms I had to get a new hpfp. Then I traded in my 07 for a new 2010 mcs in december. In May then for the last 3 weeks I have had black smoke/misfire issues. My new dealership replaced the hpfp 2 weeks ago, my car had 10000kms and was 9 months old. Then last week all the same issues happened again, so they replaced the maf, and sadly for me, it all came back yesterday.

Here is a video of my problem. Enjoy, it's a rare diesel mini! http://youtu.be/Qndg_6fdnSc
All I have to say about that video is DAAAYUM!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:35 PM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotraveller
The HPFP is actually the fuel injection pump and it runs at very high pressure, almost 3000 psi.
Engine idle speed pressure is, 50bar (725.18psi)

WOT (wide open throttle) has a maximum pressure of 120bar (1740.45psi)

Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Two HPFP Replacements - 2007 MCS - resolved??

I had the first HPFP go at 36K - was replaced under warranty.

I almost sold my MCS last April when it had 49.5K, just before the Factory warranty expired - but decided to go with a non-MINI extended warranty instead (a pre-expiration check at 49.5K revealed some sort of transmission leak - had to drop engine - would have cost $1K+ a few miles later!?!).

Sure enough at 52.5K I noticed extremely high oil consumption (1L/800 miles), with cold start issues for a few days, then complete engine failure (engine light).

I called MINI instead of the extended warranty company - and was treated EXTREMELY WELL BY NEW COUNTRY MINI OF HARTFORD, CT (I had opened a Twitter Account, YouTube Channel, and Blog all entitled "MCS Engine Failure" with video and documentation of problem and my excellent maintenance prior to contacting the dealer - referring to these links in a factual, non-threatening way).

They diagnosed a second HPFP failure - and replaced it under the MINI 10-year fuel pump warranty.

Things are running smoothly now, but I walked out of the service office into the sales and traded in (the only ethical thing to do - could not bring myself to sell it privately without an extended warranty) my 2007 MCS (fair price) for a 2012 Base - hopefully without the myriad of problems with the Prince turbo engine!!!

I contacted the warranty company - pointing out how I was potentially saving them thousands of dollars - and they cheerfully gave me a full refund (normal policy is pro-rated refund if unused).

So at least with New Country MINI - I found that very careful documentation (uploaded to social media?) leads to a cooperative attitude.

Also am I sensing more of this from MINI from other posts (MINI stepping up as they have not in the past - but should?).

Last edited by irishpunk; 09-05-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: forget to include something
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
ok so i have recently purchased a 2007 mini cooper s and my car seems to be having the HPFP issue.. my concern is that since i bought it used that the 10 year warranty will not be covered?? could anyone give me any insight to this and if its not covered how much is it to replace.. .

Last edited by MCS2007; 09-08-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
The "part" itself is warrantied - so you should be good. I have the warranty detail as a PDF somewhere - I will try and find it (if you Google, someone has posted all of the MINI "internal" and public "warranties" & service info.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:46 PM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by irishpunk
The "part" itself is warrantied - so you should be good. I have the warranty detail as a PDF somewhere - I will try and find it (if you Google, someone has posted all of the MINI "internal" and public "warranties" & service info.
i appreciate that man.. I've looked all over and found one PDF i just didn't know about the whole buying used thing.. i love the car but this has me nervous.. i don't know that the dealer i live by is the nicest place.. Cincinnati BMW and MINI

Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS2007
i appreciate that man.. I've looked all over and found one PDF i just didn't know about the whole buying used thing.. i love the car but this has me nervous.. i don't know that the dealer i live by is the nicest place.. Cincinnati BMW and MINI
My only caution--be sure what you're dealing with. I thought I was facing this problem, and had the dealer check it out. They said no, it's X, Y, and Z. Estimate to "fix" these was $1300. I checked with my independent mechanic, and followed his suggestions first. Hubby wound up doing the cheapest and most logical 2 of the 3 things himself, and total cost was $250, including the original diagnostics! That was about 1000 miles ago, and so far so good. Name:  crossfingers.gif
Views: 507
Size:  152 Bytes

Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
I would just call them tomorrow morning and say:

"I suspect I have the fuel pump issue, and am just phoning to make sure that you (Cincinnati MINI) will do the work under the 10-year warranty."

Also is "towing included" and a "loaner included".

Keep in mind that if it is the pump and it goes totally you will have to have the car towed - which could be expensive. Maybe better to drive it in now (make appt.).

Obviously find out what charge there may be if it is not the fuel pump (i.e., maybe check it out with a cheaper, qualified local mechanic first).

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by irishpunk
I would just call them tomorrow morning and say:

"I suspect I have the fuel pump issue, and am just phoning to make sure that you (Cincinnati MINI) will do the work under the 10-year warranty."

Also is "towing included" and a "loaner included".

Keep in mind that if it is the pump and it goes totally you will have to have the car towed - which could be expensive. Maybe better to drive it in now (make appt.).

Obviously find out what charge there may be if it is not the fuel pump (i.e., maybe check it out with a cheaper, qualified local mechanic first).
right right.. i planned on doing this.. my check engine light actually just came on tonight for the first time.. and i definitely noticed something was wrong... it had given me a few problems before with a start but something is really wrong now.. anyway thanks for the advice ill keep my fingers crossed i really don't want to drop some stacks right now to fix this

Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS2007
right right.. i planned on doing this.. my check engine light actually just came on tonight for the first time.. and i definitely noticed something was wrong... it had given me a few problems before with a start but something is really wrong now.. anyway thanks for the advice ill keep my fingers crossed i really don't want to drop some stacks right now to fix this
FWIW, if your car has over 60,000 miles on it, my first suggestion would be to replace the spark plugs. This is their service life--something we didn't know or they would have been done routinely. Our problem came up at about the 72,000 mile mark, so they lasted longer than expected. The other item, also electrical, was the #2 coil.

My car didn't have a service light at first, but when I booted it to merge in in traffic, I noticed some misfiring. After playing around a bit to induce the symptoms, the CEL did come on (but later went off). Normal "low-level" driving was fine.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Thanks DoffodilDeb - on mine I replaced them at 48,500 miles, so ahead of time - and still had the HPVP problem (a second time) at 52,500.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
FWIW, if your car has over 60,000 miles on it, my first suggestion would be to replace the spark plugs. This is their service life--something we didn't know or they would have been done routinely. Our problem came up at about the 72,000 mile mark, so they lasted longer than expected. The other item, also electrical, was the #2 coil.

My car didn't have a service light at first, but when I booted it to merge in in traffic, I noticed some misfiring. After playing around a bit to induce the symptoms, the CEL did come on (but later went off). Normal "low-level" driving was fine.

just hit 53k.. my very first thought was it was a coil.. but I'm just going to call up there and hopefully they are not so nice and have some good info for me

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement