Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken plastic glove box latch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
dbirider
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken plastic glove box latch

The little cheap plastic latch that holds the glove box shut broke on my 05' mcs. It snapped in half when I was opening the glove box one day, so now my glove box hangs open all the time.

My local mini cooper place doesn't cary these and I'm told that the only solution with going through them is to spend $180 + labor on getting a new glove box. I'm definitely not doing that...

Does anyone know of a place where I can order one of these pieces?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Found this link on fitting a Mini glove box if you want to save the labor. I have seen them on Ebaymotors in the past but not recently. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Check realoem.com. I just spent a few seconds to find the glovebox and didn't find the part you need which means it probably comes with a larger part like the entire locking mechanism or something like that.

Don't look for dash board, look under Instrument Carrier.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
dbirider
Neutral
Thanks, I'll check those links out

Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
I've removed my glovebox a few times while installing wiring in the dash. It's very easy to remove. First pop out and disconnect the glovebox light, then it's just 5 torx screws -- 2 at the top, one on each side and one at the rear. Reinstalling was tricky to get the side screws in because the holes are deeply recessed and the screws go in horizontally. If you are replacing the glovebox, you'll want to swap the lock cylinder with your current one that fits your key. Here's the parts listing: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=51&fg=30

Last year the black latch piece (the one you pictured) came off in mine, and I couldn't get it back on. The dealer replaced the entire glovebox under warranty. With an '05, is there any chance yours is still under the 4 yr/50K warranty?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
When this happened on my '04, I found that the latch was not available alone and you had to buy the entire glovebox. That's an easy replacement, but not cheap. I took my glovebox out of the car for an afternoon and glued the latch back together with some $6 plastic mender epoxy. The latch hook is actually hollow, so you can get a good deal of epoxy in there to reinforce it. I did this 2 years ago, and it's still holding up.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
GoMiniGo
Former Vendor
yeap, mine broke on my 02. Slightly different design on the latch. You have to buy the whole unit. I took mine apart trying to get to the latch but the door halves are sonically welded and you would destroy it getting it apart.

Buy a used one or get the glue out. Or mortgage your house and buy a new one. BTW - the non-locking version is no longer available. You have to buy one with a lock and THEN buy the lock if yours did not originally have a lock. thank you sir may I have another!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dbirider
The little cheap plastic latch that holds the glove box shut broke on my 05' mcs. It snapped in half when I was opening the glove box one day, so now my glove box hangs open all the time.

My local mini cooper place doesn't cary these and I'm told that the only solution with going through them is to spend $180 + labor on getting a new glove box. I'm definitely not doing that...

Does anyone know of a place where I can order one of these pieces?

Were you able to remove that latch mechanism? I have been tempted to take the door apart, fix the latch with some Gorilla Epoxy and put it back together. If I have to Gorilla the entire door back together I would try that before I spend $180 on a glovebox that may or may not break in a year. Given the (lack of) quality of all things Mini, I sure that it would break again and again. Thats an absurd price.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 AM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
I'm with you guys on this. Bought a 2003 mini cooper in November 2010, and within 1-2 months my glove box fell open while driving. I rigged up magnets and all kinds of stuff, but it still pops open when I drive which is an issue cause its full of stuff, and then I get distracted trying to close it again.

Today I am going to rig this thing up once and for all. I hate rigging stuff up unless I know its a lifetime rig I did. Obviously the glove boxes are crap so why pay $180+ on a new glove box???

Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 2003minicooper
I'm with you guys on this. Bought a 2003 mini cooper in November 2010, and within 1-2 months my glove box fell open while driving. I rigged up magnets and all kinds of stuff, but it still pops open when I drive which is an issue cause its full of stuff, and then I get distracted trying to close it again.

Today I am going to rig this thing up once and for all. I hate rigging stuff up unless I know its a lifetime rig I did. Obviously the glove boxes are crap so why pay $180+ on a new glove box???
Would appreciate you posting your lifetime rigging for those of us awaiting the same dilemma. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
I just broke the plastic thing off the handle, but think if I go to a hardware store I can rig something up. I know I can rig something up without the handle, but it won't look as nice, and I like the handle so I'm going to try my best, and take pics when I have something that works, and show what I bought.

If you don't want to use the handle on the glove box you could rig up a locking system you see on filing cabinets that you use a key, and when you lock it the bar turns with the key. Might have to do some modifying to make that work, but it should be possible.

If somebody made an aftermarket one that would last like most other cars I would buy it.

I found a permanent way to rig mine up, but need to wait for the hardware store to open tomorrow.

Last edited by 2003minicooper; 02-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
I just got a 3" bolt with a hole in the end for a pin/clip, and 3 washers for the top so the glove box is shut completely.

This is definately a permanent fix unless the glue stops working. I used like half a tube of automotive goop just on the bolt. I need to glue the handle part yet. I can't wait to put this back in the car, cause no more distractions while driving.

It fell one time when I was on my way home, and I was turning, didn't take the turn sharp enough, hit a snow bank, and a cop car was coming down the road, turned and followed me home, probably thinking this is a drunk driver, but the glove box distracted me. I have too much stuff in their since it big, and nothing heavy. ipod, gps, 2 screwdrivers, gum, deoderant, ect. Thats practically my whole list right there. Oh, can't forget about the heavy weighted insurance card info/ car registration info for when you get pulled over.

PICS: www.xanga.com/minicoopermods

Last edited by 2003minicooper; 02-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 AM
angelnthecty1030
1st Gear
Replacing glove compartment

Ok I found a replacement glove compartment that will fit my 2003 mini cooper the only issue that I have is that my old one doesn't have a lock so I don't have a key tumbler that matches my key and the new glove compartment has a spot for it. Anyone know where I start to get a key tumbler to match my key so that I can put it in the new glove compartment??

Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 AM
coopspeed
2nd Gear
Any Mini parts supplier - penskeparts.com is where I got mine.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 AM
dedalus5550
1st Gear
My problem is similar. As near as I can tell, my actual handle--the chrome plated plastic part that you pull to open it--is broken. It seems like it's one side only, the axle that it rotates on. So when I open the compartment, it shifts to one side. I have to work it back in, and if I don't, the door won't close. All indications after reading this thread is that I'm SOL except for buying a whole new compartment. Maybe I'll try to look in a salvage yard--we have some really good ones--this is Southern California, after all. And I've seen people post at autotrader for minis that they are parting out. And for now, working it back in each time isn't too bad. I mean, how many times do I open over the course of a year?
Mike Todd

Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
If you go to the site below, check the troubleshooting tab, we have collected about a dozen links about glove box issues and fixes that may help.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Wyldnative
Neutral
Does anyone have pictures of the springs on the '03 glove box latch? Mine fell out and I'm not sure how they go back in

Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
minimustang
1st Gear
here is a link off a video I made On to uninstall it and tear apart the glove box and fix it and reinstall it....
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...glove-box.html