Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Paint job crisis (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM
janki_jubilee
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint job crisis (please help)

I own an '09 Mellow Yellow Mini, and my dad hit a cat or a dog when he was driving it. We took it to the Mini of Monrovia Dealer and they sent us to Custom Auto Craft Collision Center to get a new bumper and repair the radiator damage...When we got it back, the paint job looked great, but that was during the day...at night, it's a whole other story. My bumper looks like it matches up just fine during the day, but at night it goes from mellow yellow to lemon yellow... im super pissed! i expected the repair shop to give me normal Mini Cooper paint, not some glow-in-the-dark/color-changing paint! That's cool for crayola and painting f***king butterflies, but not my car. Anyone know why the paint may change color??

Im thinking it's because it's not Mini/BMW paint, but I'm not sure.

Attached Thumbnails Paint job crisis (please help)-bee-1.jpg   Paint job crisis (please help)-bee-2.jpg   Paint job crisis (please help)-bee-4.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's unacceptable. Wow.

Take your MINI back to them. If they don't believe you because they're looking at it in natural sunlight, tell them to pull it into a dark bay and turn on an artificial light. They'll see what I'm seeing and they should be ashamed of that paint job.

There's no reason they can't match up the paint perfectly. Appears they mixed the paint wrong.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They should have zero problem matching up the paint. Bring it back and demand they repaint it.

They've turned your Mini into a "special edition".

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
janki_jubilee
Neutral
Thanks. =] I've taken it back and they're going to refinish the bumper, I'm not sure what it's going to look like, but hopefully they match the paint perfectly this time.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
miniola
6th Gear
WOW! I can't believe they could even give that back to you with a straight face!. It's the color of this guy> ... and it should be closer to the color of this guy> .

Old 09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
I own a 05MCS and i have a minor paint crisis myself. while spraypainting a lamp outside, my dad got overspray on my roof and a little on my sunroof. I have a black roof. its not too bad. but you cant tell from far away, but once u get closer it looks as if my roof is sparkley. does anyone know how i can get this overspray out? i tried waxing but that didnt touch it. please help, im open to any suggestions THANKS

Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsMotorR53
I own a 05MCS and i have a minor paint crisis myself. while spraypainting a lamp outside, my dad got overspray on my roof and a little on my sunroof. I have a black roof. its not too bad. but you cant tell from far away, but once u get closer it looks as if my roof is sparkley. does anyone know how i can get this overspray out? i tried waxing but that didnt touch it. please help, im open to any suggestions THANKS
Claybar, it'll take time, but it should start to lift it. If that doesn't work, buy some good polishes (I recommend prima) and start with the least abrasive and work your way up. Wax will do nothing to remove it, which is why there was no change. Waxes have different properties then polishes.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Husband got some overspray on my BLACK '01 Dodge Durango (used to be my Pirde & Joy), I called a Mobile Detailing outfit, told them what had happend, they them come out, detailed the Durango to look like new!! It did cost me $275, but it was well worth it, your MINI being smaller it shouldn't cost that much.

Good Luck!!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:36 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
My son's MINI is Mellow Yellow. He got hit twice in a year. Both times we played with the color over and over. DuPont has a slight issue matching that color. It was close, but by no means dead on. I could tell, but most people couldn't. After some vandalism we just reshot the whole car with a really neat pearl yellow. I can forget matching that no matter what!!

As for the over spray, Yep, Claybar!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Bumpers in General are very hard to match up, Some cars even right out of the factory the bumpers can be off. I agree you should have it re done, but it may not be perfect. Good luck with it

Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 AM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone. i appreciate the suggestions Ill def. give em a try!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by maacodale
My son's MINI is Mellow Yellow. He got hit twice in a year. Both times we played with the color over and over. DuPont has a slight issue matching that color. It was close, but by no means dead on. I could tell, but most people couldn't. After some vandalism we just reshot the whole car with a really neat pearl yellow. I can forget matching that no matter what!!
Some years back, I hit a coyote one night in my Saturn SC2, destroying the bumper (and radiator and various other bits). It was a purple that the factory only used for a few years, and apparently was hard to come by. The body shop couldn't quite match it, but got really close, and feathered it in beautifully.

But if they'd given me a car that turned blue-and-purple at night, I definitely would not have been amused!

Enough story time. Good luck with the re-painting!