Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Resetting the Tire Pressure Alert

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM
DavidO
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resetting the Tire Pressure Alert

What are the steps needed to reset the tire pressure monitor in a 2008 Cooper? Thaanks in advance for your help. DO

Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's in your owner's manual.

Pg. 55 - 56.

Seek and Ye shall find...

Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
its complicated first time read owners manual .it gives step by step good luck !!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Chemdean
1st Gear
I did it just the other day when I rotated my tires. In a brief summary, cycle through the options on your computer by pressing the stalk-located button. When you see SET INFO, hold the button down until reset option symbols are displayed. Find the tire symbol and press and hold the button again. The computer will indicate that it is resetting. That should work.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Convenience Package ... Need to have fob in slot

MINI may have updated the procedures, but on my 07 MCS, I have to have the fob in the slot to get the tire pressure reset features to work as claimed ... I have the convenience package* ... until fob is in slot, the reset "appears to work", but doesn't.

YMMV!
* also called "comfort access"

Last edited by MCS07MGM; 07-20-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
I find its best to reset when the tires are cold and topped up to specification. Reset and then drive it. When you hit ~40 mph the light will turn off.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS07MGM
MINI may have updated the procedures, but on my 07 MCS, I have to have the fob in the slot to get the tire pressure reset features to work as claimed ... I have the convenience package ... until fob is in slot, the reset "appears to work", but doesn't.

YMMV!
I also have an 07 MCS with Convenience Access. I just reset the FTM after swapping wheels. What are the symptons of it not working?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Chemdean
1st Gear
Sorry, I did forget to mention having the fob in the slot and having the doors closed. I also have an '07 MCS equipped as yours is.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
DavidJS
2nd Gear
It won't finish re-setting until you drive a bit.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I also have an 07 MCS with Convenience Access. I just reset the FTM after swapping wheels. What are the symptons of it not working?
Not working means the TPM warning icon reappears the next time you start the car ... if you have the fob in the slot, follow the instructions in the manual EXACTLY, and drive half-mile {one kilometer!}, then reset works perfectly as claimed.

Last edited by MCS07MGM; 07-20-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
TRL
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New owner and so far my R57's tire pressure monitoring is driving me nuts.

First, I was surprised that the Mini's do not actually display a pressure or indicate which corner is low on the dash. OK, I accept that. I am used to the GM system and it does all that as standard. It is nice to see "right rear 23 psi." No big deal. Since it should almost never go off, who cares what it says.

I believe the Mini system is just looking at the difference between wheels, not an absolute pressure. Get a leak and suddenly one wheel is 30 psi less than the other three. It doesn't actually know what the pressure is, just that one tire is wierd.

I say this because my car was delivered with almost 50 psi in all tires it would seem there is no warning based on pressure. I assume this is true for both high or low pressure. If I am wrong and it does look at absolute pressure for a low tire warning, does anyone know what that pressure is?

I am trying to understand exactly how this works to help eliminate the nusiance warnings I am getting. It is not exactly cold right now, just a little cool at night. Still, I go out in the morning to a tire pressure alarm. Being paranoid I immediately check all tires and find them all around 33 +/- 2 psi. No tire has ever been under 30 psi by my guage.

So far my best fix involved only three reset attemps. Even after you get the display to say "Reseting" it doesn't mean it will be succesfull. Sometime complete failure and you get a nasty warning, other times it's like I never tried. Yes, I do follow the book and drive off imediately.

Right now I am in fear of winter actually arriving. I will mention it to the dealer when I need to go in for a regular visit, but expect little sympathy. Is there a technique that makes the resetting a little more fool proof? Three times so far and I have yet to actually have to put any air in a tire!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is what MINI states about how the tire pressure monitoring system works.

WDS Wiring Diagram System:
The TPM monitors the tyre inflation pressure while the vehicle is being driven. The tyre pressure to be monitored is specified by the driver. Using the control function in the iDrive or the TPM button, the driver instructs the system to adopt the current tyre pressure as setpoint pressure (reset). The plausibility of the setpoint pressure is checked before the TPM control module adopts it (axle-wise comparison of the specified pressures, minimum pressures). A reset is only possible when the tyre inflation pressure on all wheels is at least 1.6 bar (23 psi). If the tyre pressure of one wheel falls below this limit, a Check Control message is issued immediately. If the pressure difference between the wheels on one axle > 0.4 bar (5.8 psi), the reset is rejected following a plausibility check. A Check Control message is output. Remedy: set tyre pressures to the correct values and then run the reset once again.

Internal sequence after triggered adaptation process (reset):
  1. Recognition of the fitted wheel electronics systems
  2. Identifying of the position of the wheel electronics systems
  3. Plausibility check by checking the specified pressures
  4. Adoption of the specified pressures as setpoint pressures
On comparison of the current tyre pressure with the specified pressure, the air temperature is taken into account. On the basis of the specified pressure and temperature during the reset, the TPM calculates the limit values for the tyre inflation pressure for the current air temperature. The tyre inflation pressure increases by 0.1 bar (1.45 psi) per 10 °C 18 Degrees F) increase in temperature. If the temperature-evaluated values are not reached, the TPM issues a Check Control message.

So what this says in easy terms is.

1. tire pressure must be above 23 psi to even be able to set the pressure.
2. when resetting the tire pressure from left to right on each axle must be within 5.8 psi
3. temperature increase is calculated and pressure adjustment calculations are made for tires as them warm up.
4. What it does not say is what the low difference from "set point pressure" the monitor is.

To answer the statement number 4. Myself and others here have done some testing in the past. (there are at least 20 threads on this subject strewn thru out the boards)

The low pressure warning seems to come on when a tire is 4-5 psi low. I.E. i set the tires for their recommended pressure of 38 PSI on my car. Reset the TPMS and then drive it as required for at least 1 kilometer. l let the car sit over night and checked the pressure, all at 38 psi i then let air out of on tire to 35 psi drove for 1/2 mile no warning checked all tires and all were at 38 psi still. Let more air out to 33 psi got back in car and warning light had come on. 5 psi difference. Did this testing three times over a three week period of time.

I also tried one time of setting the pressure at 35 psi and resting everything and then dropping pressure and it only took 4 psi drop to get the warning.

One note of warning though myself and others have found that drastic changes in temperature I.E. afternoon temp of 85 and a morning temp of 45-50 degrees is enough to make the sensors send a warning. Now by the calculations above this could very possibly happen. I.E. 85-45=40. then 40/18=2.22, then 2.22*1.45=3.22 psi change. Alos from my testing where I had a change in temp from 84 F to 47 F over night I found that the pressure had actually dropped 4 psi this did not give me a warning but I did release some air and get a warning before I hit the 5 psi change noted by my tire pressure gauge.

So to answer some of your statements.

Yes it does look at the absolute pressure.

No there is not over limit warning just a warning for tires that warm up and do not get up to the calculated warm pressure.

On a reset you must drive long enough with out a stop to get it to reset. I have found that if I reset it and then drive up my street 200 yards and have to stop for traffic at the stop sign to long the reset fails. Also note that the system will tell you when the reset is complete. You must drive until the system has notified yo that the reset is complete by turning off the reset notification.

One thing to make sure is that all the tires are very close to the same pressure the pressure marked on the label on the door frame. i.e. all at 38. not one a 33 second at 35, third at 34, fourth at 32. get them all as close as possible, then do a reset and drive until the reset has finished (reset notification has gone off) . This should give you a no warning response.

One other note of interest in the MINI explanation is:
In the case of temperature values greater than 120 °C (248 F)inside the tyre, the wheel electronic system is switched off; if it cools down to less than 110 °C (230 F), it is switched on again.

So not only does the sensor measure pressure it also measures temperature.And BTW the tire pressure sensors transmit the pressure every three (3) seconds tomonitoring system.