Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

URGENT PROBLEM: MINI dies with no apparent reason!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM
darksun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT PROBLEM: MINI dies with no apparent reason!

Hello guys i have an urgent problem if you could help me :

I have a MINI Cooper S 2003 and the problem is that during driving with no apparent reason the Check Engine comes on and the MINI dies. I does not matter if the engine is warm or a fresh morning start. If i wait for about 10 minutes, and i try to start it again, it start with no problem and no CHECK ENGINE light. After driving all day, with any warning, it just dies again with Check Engine.

I am leaving in my summer break and i really dont have time to go to the dealer. Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be ? It ran fine till 1 week ago when the problem started.

I repeat, the car works fine with no problems until the check engine light goes on and it dies.

Thanks in advince if anyone cand give a fast advice!

//Daniel.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked to see if any codes are stored on the OBDII? Are there any "Local" parts stores that offer this service? Here in the States there some Parts Stores that will scan for any stored codes. Knowing if you indeed have diagnostic codes stored will help narrow down any possible causes.

How is the gas/petrol in Romania?

Good luck Daniel, hope you figure it out.

Bryan

Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Without a code...

there's no way to know. But it sounds like an electrical problem Some pretty severe stuff can happen with the car still running, even if in limp mode...

Matt

Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Pbadore
2nd Gear
Check For A Bad Crank Position Sensor.

A bad crankshaft position sensor that fails intermittently due to excess heat
can possibly behave as you are describing. The fault will generate a DTC
which as already suggested you need to have scanned. A generic aftermarket scan tool will find this fault.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM
darksun
2nd Gear
Well i went to the dealer and yes they changed the crankshaft position sensor. It was 300$ and after 6 hours it died again! I can't belive my bad luck, and worse it happens a day before summer vacantion when i need the car! :( :(

I scaned it with a tool and it had a throttle body error, but the dealer could not find that error. I want my MINI back and running!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Pbadore
2nd Gear
Intermittently Stops Running

Before the dealership changed the crankshaft sensor was there a DTC indicating that the crank sensor had an intermittent failure? If not, then the
dealership doesn't know how to use their scan tools correctly. Next you need to check to see if the your Mini is having its fuel supply interrupted. You need to check for fuel pressure immediately after the Mini stops running. A defect in the fuel pump itself or the fuel pump relay opening could cause the problem that you are experiencing. I had a Porsche 944 turbo S fuel pump that would jam intermittently causing the car to stop running under all types of different conditions and temperatures until the pump finally quit for good at 2:00 AM. We cut the fuel pump apart and found a small part of weld splatter stuck in the pump rotors that bounced around until it finally lodged in one pump rotor and stalled the pump for good.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM
darksun
2nd Gear
Thanks Pbadore for the info. I will give it a try. THe car is at the dealership for 2 days now and they dont know whats wrong.

Sad MINI owned here :(