Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coincidence???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:06 PM
nigelthecooper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coincidence???

Last May, I had installed a Magnaflow cat back exhaust, put on a K&N CAI and installed platinum plugs, all within about 2 weeks of one another. Also, I switched from MINI oil to Mobil 1 synthetic.

Before I added these mods, my car used no oil at all. It was shortly after I added the mods that he began burning oil (now up to 1 qt every 2200mi.). It is a logical fallacy to state that one action necessarily follows another, but the timing makes me wonder...

1. Did adding the mods in a short period of time have an adverse affect on my engine?

2. Is it pure coincidence that the oil usage started at almost the exact same time (around 36000mi., now at 55,000mi.)?

3. I am obviously hallucinating again and need my meds changed ?

Looking for some explanation as to why my oil usage would be so night and day (or Jekyll and Hyde) coinciding with modding. Any input (or laughter) would be appreciated.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
firenewt
4th Gear
Changing meds sounds like more fun but that doesn't address your problem. Back in the day (yes I am that old ) if you switched oil to one that had more detergent or a different formulation, it could desolve the glaze on the cylinder wall and reduce the rings ability to retain oil. I doubt that's your problem given the Mini oil and Mobil1 shouldn't be that different and your mileage is pretty low. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:14 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
When I used the Castrol Synthetic, I burned some oil too.

Now on different synthetic used by our club mechanic. He put it in when he fixed my seeping oil pan gasket....put my pan in a self contained high power parts washer machine....damn thing came out looking brand new...

I also changed my PCV valve too. If it is clogged up, and not properly venting upper cylinder head gases, the pressure built up will cause you to burn oil....

The PCV valve should be changed every 30K miles. They are 17-20 dollars and found only at your MINI Parts Dealer.....

Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I noticed a stop in the oil consumption I had with Mobil 1 when I switched to Amsoil. My oil pan does seep a little of oil despite a new gasket, but the amount on the outside seems constant over both types of oil, yet the engine retains Amsoil better.

I'll have to get a new PCV valve just for regular maintenance sake, It's never been changed.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM
nigelthecooper
2nd Gear
Thanks so much for all the input. I did not know that the PCV valve needed to be changed that early!
Probably grasping at straws with the whole mods thing but it is so frustrating to buy a brand new car and have it use that much oil that often. Just trying to find out what went awry or where I messed up.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Phantom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
I noticed a stop in the oil consumption I had with Mobil 1 when I switched to Amsoil. My oil pan does seep a little of oil despite a new gasket, but the amount on the outside seems constant over both types of oil, yet the engine retains Amsoil better.

I'll have to get a new PCV valve just for regular maintenance sake, It's never been changed.
+1 on amsoil

I run AMSOIL:

Mini-
Coolant
Oil
Tranny Fluid

BMW M3
Coolant
Oil
Tranny Fluid
Power Steering
Rear Diff

I am happy to report that both cars run better and get better gas milage
I also used they PI gas treatment and well everything they offer. I love this stuff.