Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New radiator fan check

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 AM
minicati
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New radiator fan check

I have 03 and recently replaced fan assembly. Got it from rockauto.

Was ok for short local drive after replacement (just few miles though) then Sat. night in heavy new york city traffic I see engine over heated so immediately pulled over and parked. I see 30amp radiator fan fuse (under hood F8) blown. Replaced with new fuse and drove home ok (temp. gauge stay in normal).

So yesterday started checking what's going on. Let engine idle for a while to check fan works ok but I don't see it kick off even temp. goes half way and stays like that, temp doesn't go up nor blown fuse time time. So I let the engine run for a while but no fans no nothing.

Can you guys help me out how to check new fan works ok? Now really afraid to drive.
what temp. does fan suppose to kick off?
When I read this forum I see low speed should be on if temp. gauge shows half way also when turn on A/C even engine is cold?
How about high-speed?
For diagnosis with fan itself first what do I needs for tools? I see it has two (one small with two wires, one bigger with three) connectors. Like to know how to check and correct procedure to see fan motor is ok and relay comes properly.

By the way when i replace fan assembly I replaced waterpump, thermostat, flush coolant and other things like pully (15%), cold air intake and exhaust.

Please help, thanks.

Last edited by minicati; 07-27-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM
minicati
1st Gear
Anyone?

Meantime I like to eliminate it's from PS fan so disconnect PS fan and started car again. Then when I idle for few min still no radiator fan, no blown fuse.

For 2nd try, still leave out PS fan disconnected idle the engine then A/C on. Still no radiator fan but I see F08 30A fuse blown this time.

So does it mean radiator fan is no good?
I see two red wires and one black for bigger connector, i believe small one for resistor. Please help where/how I feed to power to check radiator fan works properly.

Appreciate for any help.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 AM
minicati
1st Gear
More diagnosis today

I disconnect radiator fan power and removed R3 relay

Then I see 87 is always on without start the car (no key in ignition)
85 triggers soon as i put my key in ignition (even without start engine).
By the way no more F08 (30A) fuse brown.
Can someone explain what's the next steps to check fan resistor relay?

Next I put R3 relay back in and see power goes to main fan power socket and yes check light does come on soon as A/C is on.

So for checking radiator fan motor works, do I just supply 12V to where it comes on when A/C is on (one next to ground)?
I'm confused with how relay works in fan assembly.
Please someone help.