Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT transmission woe$

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
msuspartan2009
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT transmission woe$

I currently own a base (non-turbo) 2002 Mini with a automatic transmission with 51,000 when purchased that the CVT transmission took a dive a 62,000 miles.... Given the cost of a new transmission at $8k.... has anyone considered converting to a manual transmission???? Need advice ASAP!!!!

Last edited by msuspartan2009; 07-31-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msuspartan2009
I have had a standard coupe 2002 Mini with a automatic transmission with 51,000 when purchased that the CVT transmission took a dive a 62,000 miles....
What? You have had a STANDARD coupe with an AUTO? Can you rewrite what you are saying, that made no sense.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
germania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
What? You have had a STANDARD coupe with an AUTO? Can you rewrite what you are saying, that made no sense.
sure it does, standard = basic = justacooper

Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Standard = Manual

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
germania
1st Gear
true, but he already specified the transmission specifically with the title.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go back with the AT, by the time you buy all the parts and the manual trans, wiring, time to install, time to convert, time to fix things that don't work like cruise control, and all the other bugs you'll be cheaper to just go with another AT. Trust me I've had 20 other guys in your exact same situation want to do the same and doing all the math its better not to do the swap.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
msuspartan2009
1st Gear
hard to

hard to justify $8k on a new CVT transmission when everything I hear is they are likley to take a dump at 40k-70k miles..... or is the not the norm on what I have read?????

Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Just go back with the AT, by the time you buy all the parts and the manual trans, wiring, time to install, time to convert, time to fix things that don't work like cruise control, and all the other bugs you'll be cheaper to just go with another AT. Trust me I've had 20 other guys in your exact same situation want to do the same and doing all the math its better not to do the swap.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
For 8k if I were in your position I might just part out the rest of the car and buy a new one (if you have the cash) or buy something else. Don't forget that once the new tranny is in there could always be problems and 40k-70k later you're in the same boat again.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 AM
msuspartan2009
1st Gear
just purchased

Only had it 4 months... don't think the bank would be to happy about parting it out and I wouldn't be happy about making payments on a shell.......

Originally Posted by malteseracer
For 8k if I were in your position I might just part out the rest of the car and buy a new one (if you have the cash) or buy something else. Don't forget that once the new tranny is in there could always be problems and 40k-70k later you're in the same boat again.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Man, there has to be a better solution for when these CVT's fail, $8k is just not reasonable for a transmission - for any car!

I know there are a ton of them out there that are still running fine with well over 100K on them, but when they do take a dump, the cost to repair is all out of proportion to what it is.

Have you looked for a used one yet? Wonder if there's something else (Nissan?) that would be adaptable?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Somebody should start a website... And maybe try to get a class action suit going. Normally I am very against stuff like that but this is just ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:59 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Even MINI techs fell bad about your situ, re: crappy auto trannys, expensive trannys ( about $3k for dealer too) and 10 hour charge set by BMW. I went to dealer yesterday they had couple CVTs needed replacement and they said they (cvt) come in all the time. But independent shop could do it faster and cheaper. So much more parts needed to convert auto to standard render it too costly, guess if you had another cheap "totaled" MINI you could do it but still pay more labor hours. Out of curiosity I asked dealer how much fot CVT to 6speed said about 14k, but they would not be allowed to do it. So another CVT or buy a manual tranny MINI is best options.
Or maybe "total" it and get Manual MINI with pay out. JK maybe??

Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
DO NOT pay $8k! Good God. Negotiate with your dealer. Pitch a fit, note that you've had the car for 3 months, etc. Continue to pitch a fit until someone listens. We've had folks here get theirs replaced by the dealer for $3000ish; less if they went part-hunting on their own and had an indy shop or even a good buddy do the job.

I'm in your shoes - I have a CVT with 87k on it currently. It's a ticking time bomb. I've been keeping my eyes open for a salvage one or odd new one on sale somewhere and then plan to NOT have the dealership do the work.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
PurePlatinum
Neutral
msuspartan, I feel your pain. I've been on the phone for 2 days with MINI dealers all over the state (SC) and they've basically all told me the same thing. It's going to cost $8,500 to replace the transmission on my 2005. I've only had the car for 4 months and it has about 51,000 miles on it. Apparently, the BMW-issued warranty that comes with the car runs out at the 4-yr, 50K mile mark. My next stop is 866-ASK-MINI to see if they can offer any "good faith" compromise. Does anyone out there know of a mechanic around the Columbia area who could possibly re-build it? The dealer in Greenville says it can be done for about 1/2 the price, but my car won't make it there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
If you can't get them to help you out, feel free to bring it over to Atlanta we can do it cheaper than the dealer.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
PurePlatinum
Neutral
Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid it wouldn't make it there. I may have found a place in Mauldin that can re-build it.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PurePlatinum
Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid it wouldn't make it there. I may have found a place in Mauldin that can re-build it.
Be careful who you take it to. These are not simple transmissions.
I could be worth it to trailer it to Way in Atlanta. They are some of the best MINI people around.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
Please let us know how that turns out. I was under the impression that you couldn't buy parts to repair/rebuild them, new parts anyway. Just total replacement. Anybody?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 PM
MrsNelson1119
1st Gear
SCARED

This thread just scared me to death!!! Mine is pushing 60k and I have had the car almost 2 months.. I need names and numbers now on those good people in Atlanta, I will stay with friends!! I haven't even ckd to what a CVT cost here in the beat you to death over prices state of Florida.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrsNelson1119
This thread just scared me to death!!! Mine is pushing 60k and I have had the car almost 2 months.. I need names and numbers now on those good people in Atlanta, I will stay with friends!! I haven't even ckd to what a CVT cost here in the beat you to death over prices state of Florida.
Look at post #15 in this thread.
Wayland has a shop in Atalanta, Way Motor Works. Very good people.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
msuspartan2009
1st Gear
As I am finding out from a transmission shop whop has rebuilt other CVT transmissions from Saturns, Honda, Toyota...etc...... one simple fact.... Mini does not make parts available.... if the housing is damaged...likely when the belt breaks.... you are SOL....screwed.......... order a new transmission.... half a casing is not,.... not available..... every used tranny is like gold and you are left with two options...

buy a used tranny and wait maybe 10,000 to 20,000 miles for this to happen again

or

pay the $$$ and hope they have improved the new CVT's ove over the piece of crap from 2002 and maybe you can recover your investment......

One question.........why doesn't Mini USA step up and admit this falw in early CVT's?????????? Answer..........$$$$$$$$$$$... not the customer......

Originally Posted by gaffer
Please let us know how that turns out. I was under the impression that you couldn't buy parts to repair/rebuild them, new parts anyway. Just total replacement. Anybody?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
nolimit
4th Gear
msuspartan, I feel your pain. I've been on the phone for 2 days with MINI dealers all over the state (SC) and they've basically all told me the same thing. It's going to cost $8,500 to replace the transmission on my 2005. I've only had the car for 4 months and it has about 51,000 miles on it. Apparently, the BMW-issued warranty that comes with the car runs out at the 4-yr, 50K mile mark. My next stop is 866-ASK-MINI to see if they can offer any "good faith" compromise. Does anyone out there know of a mechanic around the Columbia area who could possibly re-build it? The dealer in Greenville says it can be done for about 1/2 the price, but my car won't make it there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck on getting any help from Mini, I have had My 05 since new and have been told I too need a CVT replacement. 9k to do the job.
i have 73k on the car, no help, not even one dollar. I have had it with Mini, never again will they see my money. Even worse is I have no dealership nearby, It is sitting at a BMW Dealership waiting for me to make a my mind up to fix or not. Still weighing my options. The car that i once loved i now HATE.
If there is any options that others might have please let me know.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 AM
msuspartan2009
1st Gear
Back on road....

After looking at every option you can think of and talking to six different dealers and repair shops and $6,000 later... repair was finished yesterday and best I could do was a rebuilt with a two year unlimited mile warrantee....

Anyone in Michigan that has CVT automatic transmission issues and looking for someone highly recommended fro repair work...check out

Bob's Transmission - www.bobstransmissionswmi.com
3220 Plainfield Ave NE, Grand Rapids - (616) 361-2375

They helped me through my transmission woes and are first rate people!!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 AM
andreas123
Neutral
first look up transmission companys in your town on better business bureau. this will give you an idea who you can trust. they will show if any consumer problems have been filed. and make sure you change your fluid atleast every 20m miles on ant tranny.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry hear about your CVT...

A friend of mine bought an '02 Audi A4 with CVT (first year). Audi at that time had a conventional auto as well but the CVT offered better gas mileage. I told her to stay away from the CVT since it's so new. She didn't listen. By 55k, the car needed a new tranny.

Not sure about the Japanese cars with CVT but apparently early model year German cars do have a this weakness.

Quick Reply: CVT transmission woe$