Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bleeding Brake & Clutch systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Peepers
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding Brake & Clutch systems

Hey Guys,
Got some quick questions regarding brakes and bleeding the system (brake / clutch system)
I recently changed all rotors and pads on my ’05 MCS (57K on the original equipment, not that bad ) and now I notice the pedal to be a little mushy. So I want to bleed the brakes but after some research I’ve learned that the clutch hydraulic system draws fluid from the brake master cylinder as well. I’ve bleed brakes before (the manual, two person way – pump pump pump, hold ….) and I’ve bleed a clutch on my Mitsu Eclipse (that has its own reservoir) but I’ve never bleed brakes where the clutch shares the same reservoir. I watched the youtube video on bleeding / changing the clutch slave cylinder and now I understand why the slave rod needs to stay compressed, but my question is how does one force the fluid thru the clutch line out the bleeder valve on the slave? Do you let gravity take over or does one have an assistant pump pump pump, hold the clutch pedal? Keep in mind I don’t have a power bleeder and everything will be done the old fashion way.

Thanks guys!!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a how-to posted by k-huevo i believe . if not do a search and you'll find it . it's very good .

Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Peepers
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I read k-hnevo's post http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/foru...read.php?t=476 but it refers to the power bleeder procedure. By keeping a constant 14psi pressure through the system, once the bleeder valves are cracked the fluid will flow. I'm looking for the the manual, two person way? I'm thinking one person needs to pump pump pump, hold the clutch pedal while the other cracks the bleeder valve. Am I correct?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peepers
Yeah, I read k-hnevo's post http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/foru...read.php?t=476 but it refers to the power bleeder procedure. By keeping a constant 14psi pressure through the system, once the bleeder valves are cracked the fluid will flow. I'm looking for the the manual, two person way? I'm thinking one person needs to pump pump pump, hold the clutch pedal while the other cracks the bleeder valve. Am I correct?
he actually drops the slave and does it manually at the slave