Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"Hesitation" at 3000rpm/70mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Hesitation" at 3000rpm/70mph

My 03S feels like it is hesitating when going up a slight incline on the freeway (3000rpm/70mph). The hesitation feeling is only around this parameter. It does not happen at 3500rpm/80mph or beyond. I have been feeling this hesitation for about 6000 miles now and it feels like it is becoming more prevalent over time. It is not the fact that I have become more sensitized to it over the time frame of realizing this occurrence to its present state, in fact others have felt it as well.

I have researched a lot about this problem but to no avail. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Also, I have noticed that my shifting has changed. for example, what was a normal 2nd. to 3rd. gear at 25mph is now at 45mph. The time spent in each gear has also increased. I am sure someone will revert to "operator error" but that is not what I am getting at.

Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old thread, same problem: slight hesitation ~3,000rpm under partial throttle. No issue under WOT nor idle. I do have new colder plugs and original (not visibly corroded) coil & wires.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loll butt in since no one is. You are feeling a somewhat normal feeling at 3k rpm it actually starts at 2900-3350 it's a factory tuned setting to cut back fuel because mini wanted to increase their mpg hwy number and so they cut out fuel. Way motor works offers an ecu tune if you search their website for around 250$ which eliminates this and fixes some other annoying factory ecu features such as this. The other thing that will amplify this is a bad supercharger bypass valve or one with a weakened spring. Look at Detroit tuned. Some don't like it others do, I love mine! I think you are lucky as mines a 6 speed manual so I feel the fuel cut off in any gear past 2nd. It's quite annoying I plan to have my ecu tuned but something keeps coming up every time :(.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 AM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also consider getting your transmission fluid serviced. If it's colder out the car will shift slower because it's trying to warm up the motor but worn out fluid will do this too!