Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

replaced battery now remotes dont work

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
replaced battery now remotes dont work

So today I replaced the car battery, and after I changed it, the keys don't work anymore. The battery was taken out of the car for a long time so I don't know if that had any effect. I already tried programming the keys by putting in the ignition to 2nd position and out and hold unlock and press lock 3 times. It didn't work so I'm not sure if that was a problem. When my battery died I tried turning on my car but it didn't work. Is it possible that the car drained the battery from the remotes while I was trying to turn on the car. Please help.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mini_Chan
So today I replaced the car battery, and after I changed it, the keys don't work anymore. The battery was taken out of the car for a long time so I don't know if that had any effect.
When I did my battery relocation and straight exhaust, the battery was disconnected for almost the whole day and I had no key problems when it was hooked back up.
I already tried programming the keys by putting in the ignition to 2nd position and out and hold unlock and press lock 3 times. It didn't work so I'm not sure if that was a problem.
I thought you were supposed to "toggle" the two buttons, but I could be mistaken.
When my battery died I tried turning on my car but it didn't work. Is it possible that the car drained the battery from the remotes while I was trying to turn on the car. Please help.
I've never heard of that happening, but anything's possible. Try swapping the remote battery to see if that works.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
My car is an 04 but the build date was 11/03 do you think the batteries in the keys died? I'm not sure which year the keys turned into rechargeable, but I always thought mine were. If its a battery issue, then I guess I can go get some new ones and change them out. Because both keys died on the same day.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
papa-j
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is an 04 but the build date was 11/03
Per post https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-r53-how.html the build date needs to be 07/2004 and newer for the method you used.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Oh ok, thanks. Is there a procedure for previous years to reset the program?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
They should not lose their "link" to the GM, which is where their code is stored. Nothing done with the GM, right?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Whats the GM? In case the batteries on my old remotes were dead, I went out and found some new ones. I come back pop them in, and try it out on my car, but nothing happens. I look in my manual and it tells me to initialize the master key, I should press the unlock button or the lock button 4 times in succession. That didn't work. So I unlocked the door, and switch the ignition on to position 2 then off, and press the unlock and lock button in succession. And that didn't work. Do I have to bring in my car to the dealership? I thought this would be easy to fix but apparently I'm having some trouble.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
So I made a call to the nearby dealership, and they said it would cost me $125 an hour for diagnostic testing. What are they testing for because I thought it was just my remotes that are bad. Is there some way that a dead battery could cause something in the car's system to malfunction? Hopefully it will be a quick fix, I need my remotes to start working again.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem after changing the car battery. Despite what my manual states (2004 MCS), the service advisor says the remote cannot be reinitialized, a new key is necessary. It's big bucks.
I tried all of the methods to get the one key working again to no avail. MINI USA will not provide any technical help.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem and have not been able to figure out how to get it fixed... I think it's BS that a key working isn't something the dealer will take care of at no charge. The only thing I haven't tried is to replace the battery inside the key.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
After bringing my car to the dealership, they don't know what is wrong with the keys. They are saying that the keys are sending a signal to the BC, but it is showing up as all 0s. They suggest that I buy a new key, and see if it would work, but that would cost $175. Also if the new key doesn't work, they feel that the BC is broken. But since all my locks and windows are working fine from the switches, I doubt it's the BC. Is it possible that there could be a lose connection or wire in the back, because weeks prior to the battery failure, I installed the auxiliary input in my head unit. I'll probably take it apart this week and check through it.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dealer quoted me ~$250 to replace the key and another $150 to program it. For me, it isn't the battery in the fob. I'm getting by with the other key, but it kind of ticks me off that this happened.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
So if its the Body Control Module, how much would that cost to fix? Does anyone have any ideas if it could be anything else? Is there a fuse that controls the sensor for the remotes? After I replaced my car's battery the bolt that holds the bracket down doesn't want to go in. Is there something I can put around the battery that will keep it from moving side to side?

Last edited by Mini_Chan; 09-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Hello again, well its been months and my keys still don't work. I was wondering is it possible that my Ian's V6 circuit could be causing an interference with my keys? Because the chip is plugged into the BCM i believe.