Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having a problem where my ac is intermittently working, only the high speed of the rad fan works, and at moderate steady throttle, the car seems to lose power for a fraction of a second intermittently. My thought is the ac clutch, but i suppose if there is a short somewhere else the ac compressor may be getting an intermittent message to cycle on and off. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick update from me.
FIX STILL WORKING 100% NO PROBLEMS.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Well i have the same issue as many of you, my low speed does not work... My high speed kicks in when its really hot or when i run the A/C. The high speed runs when the car is off only for a few min.."I am assuming this is normal when the car is hot" then shuts off after several min, i don't have any battery drain issues.

Anyway i was thinking of replacing the whole $##$@ fan.. But I'm 100% its just going to fail again.. So i have few questions.

1. Can someone please post DIY guide?

2. Also can you install the resistor in-line? Meaning not having to pull the fan?

3. Someone mentioned putting together a kit, has this happened?

I have a 2004 MCs, Build date is 6/03. It has a three wire plug.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by DJDUPONT; 08-21-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
1) read earlier posts in this thread
2) yes, read earlier posts in this thread
3) not sure

Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
1) read earlier posts in this thread
2) yes, read earlier posts in this thread
3) not sure

There are so many different opinions and views in this thread that reading and figuring out how to do this without a specific DIY step by step is a little overwhelming of the not so handy user.

If someone who has done this could please post a step by step DIY it would help the community out alot more than telling people to read this 23 page thread.

Last edited by Rated_R; 08-24-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. And not to mention the different configurations for different years. one guy posts his fix, but he's got an 06 which isn't helpful on my 02. ARGH! I found the wiring diagram on the site someone posted recently and I think i MAY have deciphered it enough to attempt a fix myself, but my brain hurt afterward. I've never tried to read a schematic before. Then I re-drew it in a way I could understand more clearly.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I did think about doing a DIY guide for this fix but thought better of it.
IF you can't read the schematics and understand them then you need a mechanic.
I will not be held responsible for others mistakes that wreck their car.
Read the posts, understand the problem & the solution then IF you feel confident, go do it, no warranty or guarantee given or implied.
Best of luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Success! This was easy (after waiting 2 months to get the resistor), although I still have to find a mounting spot for it, the xenon headlights fit really tight..

Next to fit those damned window motors, what piles of crap.

Last edited by fishey72; 08-31-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added more thoughts about the crappy quality of MINI car parts
Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 AM
BobyYoo
Neutral
Originally Posted by minirayofsunshine
i have a 2002 r50 and from reading all the posts, have the same problem as a lot of other people.
here's my problem, with the ac on the coolant fan runs at low speed but the ps pump fan doesn't, i hooked up the ps pump fan to 12v and it runs fine, also i have removed the ps pump and taken off the pump side of it so it's just an electric motor, i put a multi-meter accross the 2 main terminals and have resistance so i spun the motor by hand and got a voltage change.
does this mean the pump is ok
can i hook up the motor to 12v direct without burning it out because there's no load
are there any other control circuits that determine whether or not the fan/pump runs, eg thermostats
i have a 2 pin plug that comes from the coolant fan (which has no voltage when the low speed fan is on) but also a 3 pin plug that i have no idea of its origins
i have been at this for some weeks now and i am at a point where i was just going to buy all parts neccesary to fix it (pump and both fans) but i'm still not sure if this will fix the problem.
also i read here somewhere that the pump has a cut out to protect itself, is this true? how do i locate/reset this cutout
any help/answers are greatly appreiciated
Martin
after reading the whole 23 pages... someone mentioned that pre 12/2002 build car had the PS Fan only turn on when 2nd stage fan is On.

i dont know if that is true or not, but it seem like your the second guy that the PS fan doesnt turn On on 1st stage. So maybe it should only turn On on 2nd stage fan.

Try to get the 2nd stage fan working and check if the PS fan is On.
I think the best way to do this is to drive the car around to get the car warm up then put the A/C ON and put the A/C on High speed fan. Then i think your 2nd stage should be On.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 AM
JRhea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my resistor yestersday while also replacing oil pan gasket and thermostat.
I also recommend installing it on the aluminum bracket where others have. It's pretty amazing how warm/hot the bracket gets as a heat sink. The resistor really needs a heat sink. Another possible location would be between the aluminum bumper and the radiator. There is able room, great air flow, but inconvenient to get to.

Thermostate was a breeze to replace on my 02 MCS.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Well, stage 1 is gone again on my TYC 621080 replacement fan after just a year. At least it has a lifetime warranty...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
DIY on fan replacement posted under how to section. Had a few more pics, but only allowed 3 uploads? 2 hour job with not too much headache. Below are comparison pics of the OEM vs TYC (from Rock Auto)
Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img_2241.jpg
Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img_2242.jpg
Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img_2246.jpg

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
BobyYoo
Neutral
well i just ordered a dorman from rockauto. it was $10 cheaper than the tyc.

hopefully it is same or better.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
BobyYoo
Neutral
oh no, i just verified on rockauto and the dorman is the same part number for 2002-2006. I wonder if it comes with 1 plug or the 2 plugs connector for earlier pre 2003 ??

otherwise i would need to exchange for a tyc

Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
BobyYoo
Neutral
i just want to update on my earlier post.

I received the dorman #620902 fan and it has indeed 2 connectors for my 2002.
The resistor look a bit different from the tyc above and it look much more thicker. Hopefully it will last.

The installation was quite easy, but i spend alot of time removing the bumper because most of the bolt were rusted.
I couldn't remove 2 of the bolt underneath the bumper, it looks like the clip broke, so the bolt were turning itself with the clip. I had to cut to slide the bumper off.
Also the bottom left and right philips screw were seized so i just snapped off. I also broke the two bolts that adjust the bumper height and forward.
Tomorrow, i will drill the broken bolts and see if i can refit them with another bolt. Otherwise I won't be able to adjust my bumper height.

see pic of the dorman resistor

Attached Thumbnails Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img035.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 05:15 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
Those bolts do not adjust bumper height. Are there for attachment.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
thanks for posting that pic of the resistor. It looks like it is quite different than stock=good

Old 09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
BobyYoo
Neutral
Originally Posted by stevendoll
Those bolts do not adjust bumper height. Are there for attachment.
well the plastic piece that has the spring thing is to adjust the height.
But i found out that we do not need to remove them...otherwise we would need to readjust the height.

i dont know why in the other diy thread, the person remove them.

see the picture of that post.
especially that bolt on the top which he said is pointing upward and need an extention to remove it, i dont know why he ask to remove it. i dont see any adjustment. On the second pics, he said that we can adjust horizontally. i dont see how??

Attached Thumbnails Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-servicemode5.jpg   Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-servicemode4r.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobyYoo
...see pic of the dorman resistor
Now we're talking. Dorman is clearly thinking.

Anyone see any other brands with a beefed up resister?

Thanks for the picture.

Rich

Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus

Last edited by OPC; 09-21-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
The vertical screw is for attachment of bumper skin, not adjustment (contrary to the service mode diy write up). If you read a few posts in the thread below the diy guide to service mode, you will see a post by someone else, who is also in agreement on the adjustment issue.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
Ok, so apparently the vertical screw is for adjustment per the Bentley manual

Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problems

Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
Quick update from me.
FIX STILL WORKING 100% NO PROBLEMS.
Ditto that.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have been following this thread for some time and thanks to all who have gone thru the effort of coming up with a solution. I own an '06 GP and thought I would check my system. I went out and started the car and turned on the a/c on low. After about 15 seconds my fan went on and a few seconds later stopped. I now observed the fan cycleing on for a few seconds then off again. The ambient temperature was in the 60's. I have read in some of the posts that the low speed fan should stay on with the a/c on.
So I decided to do a little checking. I started by disconnecting the wiring harness plug and attached a continuity meter between the brown ground wire and the red/blue wire (large wire=high speed fan) and it checked ok. I then went to the ground and the red/green wire (small wire=low speed fan) and it also checked ok. Just to double check I ran a lead from the brown ground pin on the connector to a body bolt and ran another lead from the +12 volt terminal to the red/blue (high speed fan) pin. I then proceeded to do the same test on the red/green (low speed fan). Both of these worked fine. Just to mention that there was a difference between the two fan speeds but my high speed does not roar like some has mentioned. I then re connected the harness plug and retested starting the car with the a/c on low. The results were the same. Just for ha, ha's I double checked all my fuses and swapted the relay switches in the fuse box in the engine bay. I tested again and the results were the same. I also made sure that the power steering fan was working in conjunction with the fan and it too cycled on and off.
Earlier this spring I had my thermostat changed under warranty by the dealer and while I was there I got a chance to talk with the tech about the failing low speed fan problem. During the discussion the question arose about the fan being on all the time with the a/c. His comment was that it did not stay on all the time. I did not think too much about it at the time and frankly forgot about his comment. Just for giggles I sent a pm to quickmini and asked him to perform the same test on his GP. He ablidged and confirmed that his reacted the same.
So in conclusion I have to believe at some point MINI made some change to the programing as to when, and for how long, this fan stays on. I know that there has been a couple of others, who's system works the same as mine, wondering if it was working correctly and apparently it is.
Steve

Last edited by THE ITCH; 10-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Vito
I really like your ingenuity on mounting this resistor. After seeing what you did it started me thinking about mounting locations.
I had the occasion to replace one of my turn signal lamps the other day and had to remove the front apron. The real aluminum bumper under the cover would make a great heat sink. If I had to install a resistor (luckily at this time I do not) I would drill and tap a couple of small holes under the bumper and mount it there right in the center. There would be good air flow there, a great heat sink, hidden from sight, and if ever removed would only leave two small tapped holes under the bumper that no one would see.
Steve
Post#476
[QUOTE=Vito;3299236] The resistor and bracket were then mounted by loosening the bumper mounting nuts, sliding the bracket in from the side, and tightening the nuts again.

Last edited by THE ITCH; 10-08-2011 at 03:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution