Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:26 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes there are! I typed the following into a google search window:

youtube replace radiator mini cooper s

I got some nice results!

Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexQS
Yes there are! I typed the following into a google search window:

youtube replace radiator mini cooper s

I got some nice results!
That was for a blower motor not an radaitor, AL.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My mistake. I'm not near wifi, so I couldn't download the 37 minute video to post the link.

I guess then I would have known it was the wrong one. I apologize.

Really though, once you get the bumper off, it's pretty self explanatory. There's a sticky on here called Girls Guide to Maintenance Mode... Something like that, lots of pictures. You will not need to disconnect the lower hose, nor remove the rad completely. Just get the bumper off, squeeze the platstic pins that hold the rad at the top, disconnect the upper hose, carefully lean the rad away from the engine at the top. The fan (and resistor) will slide straight up the radiator. It's really just held in by gravity, there's plastic clips that clip in to u shaped slots on the radiator... Just pull straight up. Of course there's the plug and cord, but it will be self explanatory once you get there.

Kind regards

Old 09-08-2014, 02:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Go to YouTube and search: mini cooper cooling fan

Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 PM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexQS
My mistake. I'm not near wifi, so I couldn't download the 37 minute video to post the link.

I guess then I would have known it was the wrong one. I apologize.

Really though, once you get the bumper off, it's pretty self explanatory. There's a sticky on here called Girls Guide to Maintenance Mode... Something like that, lots of pictures. You will not need to disconnect the lower hose, nor remove the rad completely. Just get the bumper off, squeeze the platstic pins that hold the rad at the top, disconnect the upper hose, carefully lean the rad away from the engine at the top. The fan (and resistor) will slide straight up the radiator. It's really just held in by gravity, there's plastic clips that clip in to u shaped slots on the radiator... Just pull straight up. Of course there's the plug and cord, but it will be self explanatory once you get there.

Kind regards
My blower motor just quit, I will be checking the final control resistor and the motor, just do not know how to get to them, AL.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:45 PM
quickquest88
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in case you need more proof this works.....
I just fixed the low speed fan on my 03 Cooper. I had the 2 connector fan, so it was a little harder. I had to get into "service mode" and detach the relay from the fan. resistor was fried. I couldn't get solder to stick to the tabs, so I got inside where the wires are soldered. soldered some 12 awg wire, and bolted the arcol resistor near the Hood latch.(I never got through reading the whole 47 pages.)
now everything works, YAY!. hopefully no more disappearing coolant from the catch tank.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quickquest88
in case you need more proof this works.....
I just fixed the low speed fan on my 03 Cooper. I had the 2 connector fan, so it was a little harder. I had to get into "service mode" ...
I got a new fan, TCY from RockAuto and changed out the resister assembly for the much more robust one from Dorman/Detroit Tuned. The resister is a thick coil rather than the flimsy green wire wound one. I am hoping it lasts forever. So far so good. And as long as you have to take the fan out, this seemed, to me, like a better way to go.

///Rich

Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM
quickquest88
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I got a new fan, TCY from RockAuto and changed out the resister assembly for the much more robust one from Dorman/Detroit Tuned. The resister is a thick coil rather than the flimsy green wire wound one. I am hoping it lasts forever. So far so good. And as long as you have to take the fan out, this seemed, to me, like a better way to go.

///Rich
I don't believe in fixing things that aren't broke. and spending money I don't have to.
also, I read a bunch of posts that say the resistor on the aftermarket units aren't any better. and it's still mounted in a bad location. resistors work by generating heat. place a hot component next to a hot radiator and no airflow, it's probably gonna fail again.
the way I did it, if the resistor goes bad, not only is it a 1/5 the price, it now takes five minutes to replace.

solving the problem, not the symptom.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 AM
anyheck
2nd Gear

///Rich

The doorman resistor is an absolute piece of garbage. The one that I received had only maybe two strands of copper successfully spot welded to the pads beneath the silicone goop that they apply. I'd suspect there are a lot out there with only the silicone holding the wires down to the pads.

I didn't have an external resistor on hand, so I was forced to add ring terminals and screws/washers/nuts to make it work and get the car on the road.

See these photos.

Attached Thumbnails Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img_1175.jpg   Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img_1176.jpg   Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution-img_1177.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Clive74
Neutral
Hi guys,

I have the five cable r50 2002 with the relay at the resistor location.

I am designing a wiring diagram to make an external modification of the resistor.

But I need to know the following:

The value of the thermistor and how it is wired to the relay, resistor and cables.

Anyone knows please?

Regards
Clive...

Old 10-12-2014, 08:31 AM
elchilo4ever
2nd Gear
Hi!
Clive74

You Need To Do The Bypass N' The Relay From The Fan.

You Can Remove The Original Resistor If You Want If Not Is Fine.

You Just Need To Soldering 1 Wire From Each End Of The Resistor
N' Run The Wires To The Top Or Wherever You Want To Install The External Resistor.

N' Those Wires Installing The Same Way To The External Resistor.
One N' Each End

The Resistor You Can Order From Here.

http://www.mouser.ph/Search/m_Produc...wszHYUMk2NYg==

Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Clive74
Neutral
Hey there,

thanks for your reply.

Yes I read about that but mine has another smaller plug with two small cables that activate a relay next to the resistor.

I bypassed the resistor with one like the link you sent me but the small cable of the big plug which on the ones without the small plug usually goes to the resistor, it goes into a thermistor.

If you look at this page you will see how it is from inside, it's not just a resistor.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f845...g-2plug-18073/

Old 10-12-2014, 09:02 AM
elchilo4ever
2nd Gear
I Think Is For The Power Steering Fan.

But like I said just Soldering one cable to each end of the resistor N' Run To the Top
N' Those Wires Installing The Same Way To The External Resistor.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Clive74
Neutral
Thanks for the reply,

Some mini models come with that relay in the resistor housing as you can see in those pictures.

Infact the same switch kit shows how to fit it into those type too.

I also have to check if there is current coming out of the low speed cable cause I'm suspecting it's not. Relay in fuse box is good though.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
I don't believe in fixing things that aren't broke.
Me neither. I simply don't have the time for it.

I read a bunch of posts that say the resistor on the aftermarket units aren't any better.
Here are the pictures and you can decide for yourself.

The one on the left is OEM. Flat thin wires on a ceramic core. The middle is the one that I got on the new TYC assembly. The wire is a bit thicker but still the same configuration. The one on the right is the Dorman replacement assembly available from Detroit Tuned and elsewhere. I have not heard of one of these failing yet. And frankly I am tired of replacing these fans.

...and it's still mounted in a bad location....the way I did it, if the resistor goes bad, not only is it a 1/5 the price, it now takes five minutes to replace. ...solving the problem, not the symptom.
Right. I agree the external resister works great on a single plug fan. But for us early R53 owners, that means attaching wires and running those wires across the assembly to the aluminum brace that makes a great heat sink. So, I got a new fan and replaced the resistor with the Dorman one. I wanted to get an OEM fan from the dealers trash but they didn’t make it easy so I went for a new TCY unit that looks almost exactly like the OEM. And a new OEM relay as again, I am tired of replacing fans.

I would be interested in seeing what a current OEM resister looks like if anyone has one on their bench.

///Rich

Old 10-26-2014, 01:57 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
FYI, the resistors on TYC replacement seemed to last about a year for me.

First TYC replacement, I got a warranty replacement (TYC is covered by a lifetime warranty).

Second TYC lasted about a year and decided to go with something more robust for replacement. Wired in two 100W .68ohm aluminum resistors in parallel mounted on the aluminum bumper support with thermal compound for cooling. The hottest I've ever felt them is lukewarm. I don't expect to ever have to worry about it again...

Old 10-27-2014, 01:21 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Fix still working!

Cheers

Chris

Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
For the nth time, thank you for the chris.j.lamb resistor mod. A few of us w/ both the 2plug & facelift single have been running the bypass. Cooler engine temps outweigh fan motor life.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:52 AM
hernlui
2nd Gear
Just a quick THANK YOU to all those of you sharing the solution to this problem.
Mine started acting up a couple of weeks ago with the high speed kicking in after I parked and turned off the car. I bought the Dorman kit and replaced it yesterday.
My Mini is one of the ones with the two connectors so I managed to fit the relay inside the housing and everything went well.
I feels great just thinking about all the money I saved!
Thanks again guys!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:42 AM
MikeN
2nd Gear
For you guys that have bypassed the resistor, have you noticed your radiator fan fuse blowing out? I have had the 30 amp resistor blow on 2 separate r50s. I guess I need to up the amperage on the fuse. It wont hurt anything because they blow due to their amperage draw when they try to start spinning and not while just trying to continuously run.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 PM
pav5069
1st Gear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161460734928?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
What do you guys think about this?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by pav5069
Same basic design as the OE resistor. I wouldn't expect to get more than a few years out of it at most.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Same basic design as the OE resistor. I wouldn't expect to get more than a few years out of it at most.
Yes. The Dorman wire wound resister is still going strong in Artoo. The big green one sometimes only lasts a few months.

///Rich

Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. The Dorman wire wound resister is still going strong in Artoo. The big green one sometimes only lasts a few months.

///Rich
Mine is still going strong, OEM fan works great once you get rid of that OEM resistor. Forgot how many years, perhaps twice the number that the OEM resistor lasted. No problems since replacing the burned out unit.
Job DONE.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just installed my 100w .33 ohm resistor from Amazon. Got my low speed fan back. I'll post picks tomorrow

Quick Reply: Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution