Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

*POP* then squealing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*POP* then squealing...

I need everyone's expert opinions and input!

Okay so on my way home from work on friday, I am driving, and hear a loud *POP* sound (like stepping on a big bubble wrap..) and then constant squealing like squeaky brakes, except I'm not braking. This continues for about 4 minutes until I finally decide it IS my car and not one of the old clunkers next to me, and pull over and call AAA to get it towed to my dealer. I turn it on so I can get my mileage for the guy and there's a big yellow exclamation mark on the tach.

It was after 5 so AAA towed it up and put the key in the drop box for them to look at in the morning. The dealer calls me next morning and they said they've checked everything out. And that they can't find anything wrong! They said they didn't even see the warning light on the tach...They said what must have happened was a piece of gravel got stuck in the brake pad! Am I wrong or is that basically impossible? I've heard that you can't even fit a credit card in between the pad.

I don't know what happened, and I'm kind of nervous that if it is something serious than the dealer didn't look too seriously into the problem... Would'bt they at least have been able to tell the car triggered the warning light?

Any ideas? Did I get the brush off?

edit: edited to take out some of my frustration

Last edited by MINIchaser; 08-24-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
oh, btw--- here are the tech's notes:
Customer states she was driving the car and heard a "pop." following the sound, there is a rubbing noise that sounds like squeaky brakes, that is present all the time.
No noise present other than normal operational noises.
inspect brakes. sufficient lining on brakes.
check wheel bearing for play or noise. no apparent problrm with brakes and suspension at this time.
Condition described is operational characteristic of this vehicle.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
bump...

anyone?

Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents...

If you think it was the brakes.. Check for any marks on the rotors. If it was making noise for that long, there should be some indication. When it was happening, did the MINI pull on way or another? or just slow down?

The next question is does the MINI feel different to you now? Can you recreate the noise in any way.. If you cant, then the dealer does not have anything to work with either.. So they should/would release the MINI back to you..

Not sure where you are in SD, but there are a few independent shops that might help, but would probably cost you $$ per time for the inspection..
Are you part of a local MIN club? maybe one of the members there can help look it over??

Good luck,
BBCooper

Old 08-24-2009, 05:55 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Hmm, thanks BB. I'm not sure if it was the brakes. The sound sounded like squealing brakes...but the car did not sway or swerve, or act any different. it was just driving around normally, making the awful noise. Not part of a mini club, haven't found one!
The mini is not driving any different from what I can tell. But then again the tech adjusted my seat and I haven't been able to find where it was before, so I'm driving the mini differently for now.
Thanks for the advice...I just thought they'd be able to pull up the computer when it had the exclamation (check engine, or whatever) light on.
I was kinda just wondering if maybe anyone on the boards had a similar experience (or experienced the same sound or something.) We'll see!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 PM
kurisu
2nd Gear
Have you checked under the hood for a pipe that might have popped out (especially the ones leading to/coming from the turbo, since you have a Cooper S) ?
Or perhaps evidence of an air leak somewhere in those pipes ?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Maybe you just caught a plastic bag or box under your car and it eventually worked its way out. If you start you car with the door open and no seat belt don't you get a big exclamation on the tach?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
I had a similar experience (without the POP) earlier this summer. A little while earlier, I had driven over a newly chipped road. A few miles down the road, I heard a faint squealing sound, which quickly became louder, and became a pretty loud and obvious screech. I looked everywhere for the source, and finally decided it had to be a stone chip lodged in the brake pads. I don't think I ever got the warning light though. I worked for a few minutes turning the wheel while driving (did it in both directions) to dislodge it and within a few minutes, all was well again.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
kruisu- someone also suggested I check the for the turbo (I think the dealer might've noticed that, having driven it around for 5 miles trying to figure out what was wrong though.)

beni - hahaha I've never started the engine before without my seltbelt until that time...that very well could have been what the exclamation mark was (just bad timing I guess!)

teds- that sounds exactly like what happened in my situation! I was just told that there was no possible way a rock could get in the brake pads... but thanks for your response, that was very helpful and sounds exactly like what happend.