Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Airbag/Seatbelt lights on after Heated Seat Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009 | 10:18 AM
owl
|
2nd Gear
Airbag/Seatbelt lights on after Heated Seat Install

I just installed an aftermarket heated seat kit on the passenger seat (will try to post pictures and small write up if I can figure out this light issue). I haven't done the driver's side yet, and will wait to resolve issues before trying.

Problem:
Airbag and Seatbelt lights go on and stay on (on the tach and on the center mph console) whether or not there is a passenger in the seat.

Guesses:
Connector under seat is not fully engaged? It seems symptomatic of people who have installed amps or sub woofers under the seat without connecting the wiring harness back in or doing it before turning on the car.

Attempted solution #1:
I tried pulling out and re-engaging the harness - no luck, but I'm going to guess at this point it won't go off until I take it to the dealership to clear the codes?

----

Details of the install:
- 2009 R56 Base Cooper
- I did not disconnect the battery
- I NEVER turned on the car or even insert the key in the ignition without the under-seat wiring harness connected back in place with the black latch pushed in
- Warning lights did not come on until this morning, when I turned on the car for the first time - no warning lights came on while testing the heated seats with only aux power (start button without pressing gas)
- I tapped into the 12V constant power on the satellite harness under the seat floor cover
- I grounded to a 10mm bolt in the same floor compartment
- (I forgot to mention this the first time around) I removed and reinstalled the seat the day prior just to take things apart for an initial look - no warning lights or faults the next day

Other guesses:
- I didn't disconnect the battery, which caused issues? ==> though other forum posts indicate success without warning lights without disconnecting the battery
- I damaged the electronics of weight-sensing (OC3) mat?
- I somehow disconnected other connectors upstream from the main wiring harness without knowing it??? (though, I did check the connections prior to re-installing the seat)

----

Any thoughts to help me out? I plan on taking the seat out to re-inspect all the connections, but I don't think it will help if the lights won't turn off without Mini intervening to clear/read the codes.

I'm afraid to take it to the dealer if there is a chance they won't let me drive home to fix the problem myself after reading the codes... and I don't want to pay them to read the codes, just yet (does anyone know if Mini SF will read/clear airbag codes without charge?).

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by owl; 08-28-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2009 | 10:57 AM
Splattj
2nd Gear
You probably tripped an airbag fault when you unplugged the harness with the battery connected. Airbag faults don't reset automatically and usually have to be taken care of at the dealership. Finish up the other seat and schedule an appointment with the dealer to have the error code cleared.

Old 08-28-2009 | 11:08 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
As Splattj has said do the other seat first. But make sure you disconnect the battery first. This will not clear the fault you already have but will make wure that you do not fault it again.

The module can only take three fault or accident codes before needing replacement. Three faults and then they require you to replace a module in the car at a very high price.

A recommendation to you for the future. Anytime you will be needing to take apart an electrical connection in your car dsconnect the battery it is your safest bet on not causing problems with the electronics in the car.

Old 08-28-2009 | 12:18 PM
owl
|
2nd Gear
Thanks for the posts - I'm not quite sure it's the harness unplugged without disconnecting the battery (though point taken about disconnecting the battery just to be safer).

I forgot to add that I had taken the seat out the day before (without taking out the battery) and reinstalled the seat - the car ran fine in the morning with no warning lights.

Last night's install, though, caused the issue. Darn it...

Old 08-28-2009 | 01:37 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by owl
I forgot to add that I had taken the seat out the day before (without taking out the battery) and reinstalled the seat - the car ran fine in the morning with no warning lights.
This is actually possible if certain criteria are meet. Like the cars doors open for more than 30 minutes and not closed while the seat is out, also not computer activity such as the key being insterted or interior light or radio being turned on.

Normall the car shuts itself down after approximately 30 minutes and if there was not activity to cause it to go back on then it is feasable to disconnect the seat and put it back with out the alarm signal as the computer did not do its checks while off. But if something had turned the computer on then you surely would have had an alarm.

Old 08-28-2009 | 03:02 PM
driverphil
3rd Gear
Could the confuser think that someone is on the seat with no seatbelt fastened?

Old 08-28-2009 | 03:06 PM
owl
|
2nd Gear
The warning lights are on both with and without someone in the seat. We used the seatbelts and there is no difference - both airbag and seatbelt lights remain on.

Originally Posted by driverphil
Could the confuser think that someone is on the seat with no seatbelt fastened?

Old 08-05-2010 | 12:22 PM
arthuriuslc
Neutral
Well, I have the same issue about the airbag and the light of the seating belt, I personally hate the signal because rarely I am with company in this particular car, I have 20000 miles and not even a scratch on the car... a few years ago a friend who is the manager of a very rich person told me that the Bentleys and Royces that his boss have had recurrent visits to the dealer what make him believes that english cars are not good at all... worst af all there is no extended warranty in .mx I dislike having to "deal" with the dealer with 100 bucks just to clear a faulty connection... it would be better if the module checks every time the car is on all the connections and clear the signal if there is not problem at all... and wow! the signal is IN YOUR FACE! IN YOUR FACE! like Dave Chappelle told the little kid when playing video games...

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:15 PM
AkFarina
Banned
I have this to, mine is the seat position sensor. bring it in to the dealer and thy will fix it. BTW it says what the light is in the owners manual

Old 08-11-2010 | 08:33 PM
arthuriuslc
Neutral
so how much does it cost the reparation?