Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINIUSA letter regarding failing O2 sensors in MY 04-06

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Martin Brenneke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O2 sensor letter

Have replaced both MAP &TMAP sensors after code P0107 came up. On a long trip of 750 miles each way same code has returned. Have driven only about 2000 miles since replacing the sensors. Would the O2 sensors failing now be the reason the service engine light occures at different times. The DSC light also comes on when the service engine light comes on. After clearing the codes car runs then codes appear again. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, got my pre-cat O2 sensor replaced at no charge by MINI Canada.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:06 PM
OCKOLBY
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Thanks for the info, got my pre-cat O2 sensor replaced at no charge by MINI Canada.
So if I go into my Mini dealer they will replace my 04 MCS 02 sensor for FREE?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OCKOLBY
So if I go into my Mini dealer they will replace my 04 MCS 02 sensor for FREE?
They should, according to the letter. Are you in the US or Canada?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 AM
ddrapeau
Neutral
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
This is very good to hear. I have an intermittent SES light now (@ only 65,000 km) on my 2006 MCS; the local independent MINI garage says it's the pre-cat O2 sensor throwing the codes.

Is there a number to call / someone to talk to at MINI Canada, or will the local dealer be in the loop enough to honor this warranty extension?
I can confirm that Mini Canada is also offering the extended coverage on the O2 sensor. My 2005 MCS had an intermittent failure due to the sensor. I brought it in for servicing and showed the service rep a copy of the USA letter provided here. I got the first reaction of "Well sir - that does not apply here." I insisted that they follow up with Mini Canada. The result? "Well sir, it turns out the O2 sensor coverage is extended in Canada as well. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. The work is all covered including the diagnostic test."

My thanks to the original poster!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Thankyou OP! This could explain my lowered fuel economy. I have DDM CAI - rest is stock. Tires have 35psi. I used to avg 28 mpg and at most 30mpg. Lately, however, I've been averaging 24mpg...
No SES/CEL yet though.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
john171
3rd Gear
O2 Sensor warranty-'02-06 only??

Anyone here know if there is a limit on which cars are covered, i.e. does the coverage not extend past the 2006 year models?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by john171
Anyone here know if there is a limit on which cars are covered, i.e. does the coverage not extend past the 2006 year models?
The letter I saw states 2004-2006 model year only.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Free Spirit
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
Originally Posted by Martin Brenneke
Have replaced both MAP &TMAP sensors after code P0107 came up. On a long trip of 750 miles each way same code has returned. Have driven only about 2000 miles since replacing the sensors. Would the O2 sensors failing now be the reason the service engine light occures at different times. The DSC light also comes on when the service engine light comes on. After clearing the codes car runs then codes appear again. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

have you heard anything about this. My ses light just started coming on (I have 131k on her) and my DSC light comes on with it. I'd like to hear what you found out. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
eeyore19
Neutral
i wish i had seen this thread sooner, i just brought my '04 mini to my mechanic when the SES light came on and of course it's the O2 sensor - unfortunately coop has 101K miles so i'm just outside the warranty

Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 AM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
My car is getting really terrible gas mileage...around 17-18 in city.My rx-8 does even better.I've been thinking it could be the o2 sensor but havent seen any light come on and no codes either...guess ill make a trip to the dealerand hope they will replace it...mine is an '04 with only 27,000miles...

Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vIPkOhH
My car is getting really terrible gas mileage...around 17-18 in city.My rx-8 does even better.I've been thinking it could be the o2 sensor but havent seen any light come on and no codes either...guess ill make a trip to the dealerand hope they will replace it...mine is an '04 with only 27,000miles...
I would not expect they will replace the o2 sensor unless the CEL is on.

I have an 04 that threw a code for the o2, but because I live about 100 miles from the dealer I cleared it so I would know if something else came up. When I got to the dealer they said they would need to charge a diagnostic fee just to pull the sensor if there is not code. I was a little mad after driving in just for this fix but they were unmoved. They were not going to touch the car until I agreed to pay the fee, even if the o2 sensor was bad.

About a week later the CEL came on again, for the o2 sensor. I left it on until the next time I would be at the dealer.
When I went in with the code still showing they changed the o2 sensor no problem. (They did want to charge me $200 to update the programming of the computer, which I declined.)

Old 11-24-2011, 05:28 PM
scottygonehottie
Neutral
2005 mini cooper S turbo SOS light

i am sorry but i am a proud owner of a used mini and i am confused on the actual recall. my sos light popped on the other day went off and now on again. it has 80K on it and i am wondering if its either o2 sensor can i take it in to mini for a recall for one or both sensors on their dollar? i have no warranty on the car as i bought it used and can fight with the dealer but would rather take to mini to do it if its a recall, but not sure if it is a recall or not by my reading and is it 10/100,000 automatically? thanks for anyones help. now that i own one where do i go to get my own recall letters sent to me for my car?
oh and does the warrantee i keep reading apply to any mini any owner of one 10/100,000? in this case diagnostics & the sensor removed and replaced free do to recall even though i dont have the letter since i bought mine from and independant car lot? all help is appreciated

Last edited by scottygonehottie; 11-24-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: more answers
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM
vIPkOhH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scottygonehottie
i am sorry but i am a proud owner of a used mini and i am confused on the actual recall. my sos light popped on the other day went off and now on again. it has 80K on it and i am wondering if its either o2 sensor can i take it in to mini for a recall for one or both sensors on their dollar? i have no warranty on the car as i bought it used and can fight with the dealer but would rather take to mini to do it if its a recall, but not sure if it is a recall or not by my reading and is it 10/100,000 automatically? thanks for anyones help. now that i own one where do i go to get my own recall letters sent to me for my car?
oh and does the warrantee i keep reading apply to any mini any owner of one 10/100,000? in this case diagnostics & the sensor removed and replaced free do to recall even though i dont have the letter since i bought mine from and independant car lot? all help is appreciated
The 10/100k warranty on the sensors applies to some 04-06 models automatically,you don't need to show them the letter.I think you should bring the car to Autozone or anywhere that offers free diagnostics just to be sure that one of the sensors(or both) is causing the light.Otherwise,your local MINI dealership could charge for half an hour of labor(I paid $78).

Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
t3hwookiee
Neutral
Thanks for this post! You saved me a bunch of money. My SES light has been on and off for a few weeks now, same P0130 code each time. Called the dealership this morning and they checked my VIN, and I am good to go for replacement for free. Instructed my husband to make sure the SES light is on when he pulls in so we don't get charged a $110 diagnostic fee.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM
dw1
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Mini Owners lounge is where to register if you recently picked up a pre driven Mini? Thx.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
LowMo
1st Gear
My light ('04 MCS) came on, and my Scangage said it was the after-cat 02 sensor. I took it to Mini of Fairfield County, where I bought it used. They took care of it, no problem. Very nice people, they told me if it wasn't a warrantied repair, I'd be charged $130 for diagnostics.

It was the 02 sensor, they had to torch it out, replaced it, checked it again, and then they washed the car, inside and out. That was the first time I had taken it to the dealership for service.

By the way, my car had 95,500 miles on it when I took it in. Good job, MOFC.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
bump. glad i saw this. everyone should see it.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 06 Justa was one of the ones that built up their database of 02 Sensor failures. They replaced it after my check engine light came on and diagnosed that as the problem with the MINI was just 8 months old and had less than 12,000 miles on the odometer.

Only problem I ever had with that MINI.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM
K-20t
1st Gear
mine came on the other day, took it to a friend shop and the code was (P2270) anybody else got this code??

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alerious
I recommend buying from here: http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3095.cfm

I recently just replaced my O2 sensors and you wouldn't believe the hassle I've had to go through. To keep a long story short, there are two OEM Bosch sensors available that have the same model number and UPC, yet are completely different when you visually compare both.

GotMINI
Some random comments who was an O2 sensor development engineer:
The pictured sensor in the link above is an NTK sensor, not Bosch. Bosch aftermarket will often buy the competitor part and re-box it in order to provide market coverage. If that is the case, the sensor will be very expensive because it has now been marked up about three times before getting to the consumer.
O2 sensors are engineered to last 100,000 miles as an OE requirement. If they are failing there was likely a production problem and Mini is passing the expense back to the supplier, in this case NTK. Those kinds of expensive warranty issues normally take at least a couple of years of back and forth on identification that there is an issue, and a couple of years of negotiation just to get resolved to a point where it becomes time to notify a customer. Likely it has been known about for longer and was a big enough issue that BMW went back to Bosch on the gen 2 sensors.
Coming from an O2 sensor background and knowing what goes into the aftermarket product, I typically advise people to suck it up and buy the original dealer part if they're serious about keeping their car running right. The aftermarket part might be the correct one, but it also might be not quite to OE spec (our scrap went way down when we started aftermarket), might actually be an improvement that was run as a production trial, might be total crap that was run as a production trial or the worst case, a consolidation part. A consolidation part is one whose intended purpose is to cover many vehicles with "similar" requirements. It might be the wire is 12 inches too long or maybe the functional values are close but not identical.
I normally say go with the OE part, the exception being an aftermarket Bosch box with another brand in it. That would actually be the OE part as well.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lovethecorners
Just got a letter in the mail from MINIUSA regarding a potential issue with oxygen sensors on 2004-2006 MINIs. Pretty vague, although it's nice to know they're on top of things. So if I replace my header, does this mean the O2 sensor still be covered if I get a CEL...
Check Engine Soon light came on in my 2006 Mini last week. Called a couple places to see how much it would cost to have the code read from the computer. I needed an oil change anyway, so when I called Baron Mini made sense to make the appointment for the oil change first then ask about having the code read. Everyone else wanted a minimum $49 just to read it, Baron Mini said they would do it for free. About 3 or 4 starts later, the light went out which lead me to believe the original error was related to a fuel cap issue even though I hadn't bought gas in a week before the original failure. Made it to Baron Mini today, they changed the oil, then advised me I had really lucked-out on the error. It wasn't the fuel cap, it was the pre-catalytic O2 sensor located between the engine and catalytic converter. Because my Mini had "ONLY" 99,938 miles on it, I was covered on what otherwise would have cost about $400.00 Way-To-Go Baron Mini! I never received the letter, and they did the right thing anyway.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad that worked out for you.

A few things (warnings) about the O2 Sensor extended warranty that I found out when a got an OBD code for the O2 sensor.
1. The SES light must be on (not reset) so the dealer can read the code to verify it is associated with the O2 sensor and nothing else. If code is not for the O2 Sensor you can and probably will be charged for the code read. Thus you might want to read the code yourself to verify before going to the dealer, just do not reset the code.
2. The dealer will only replace the one sensor associated with the code. The other sensor is the owners responsibility.
3. If the O2 Sensor wires are damaged in any way (such as exposed wire) the work will not be covered under the warranty and you must pay for the service (about $400).

My closest dealer is 2 hours away so I decided to replace both sensors at my expense rather than hassle with the dealer. I was glad I did because both sensors had damaged insulation on the wires due to rubbing near the metal clips that hold the wires to the car. I would think that is also Mini's responsibility but the dealer said no.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by quikmni

3. If the O2 Sensor wires are damaged in any way (such as exposed wire) the work will not be covered under the warranty and you must pay for the service (about $400).

... I was glad I did because both sensors had damaged insulation on the wires due to rubbing near the metal clips that hold the wires to the car. I would think that is also Mini's responsibility but the dealer said no.
I had the damaged wires too.

Don't know for sure if the sensor itself was also bad. My dealer replaced the entire assembly (O2 sensor and wires), at my cost.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Do they warn you ahead of time that they will do the service for a price?

Quick Reply: MINIUSA letter regarding failing O2 sensors in MY 04-06