Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINIUSA letter regarding failing O2 sensors in MY 04-06

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by andyroo
Do they warn you ahead of time that they will do the service for a price?
They told me it would cost $450, and I ok'ed it.

They didn't tell me specifically about the wires. Just that the O2 sensor assembly needed to be replaced. If they had told me about the worn wires, I might have been tempted to see if simply putting some black tape or shrink tubing on them, would have solved the problem. Of course, they would not have done that, but I could have simply paid for their diagnostics, and left.

I guess that is the difference between a dealer service and my mechanic's shop. My mechanic would have certainly suggested simply fixing the wires first, and only if that failed, would the expensive 02 sensor be done.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baron is great

Originally Posted by princeofwaldo
Way-To-Go Baron Mini! I never received the letter, and they did the right thing anyway.
Baron is one of the very good MINI dealers. I lived in Wichita for a few years and took my car to them, and it was always a pleasure. They replaced my power steering pump a couple of thousand miles after the warranty was technically up, which was definitely going above and beyond.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:03 AM
ejo
Neutral
Sorry about re-opening this thread. 06 MC R50 106567 miles
What happens when you replace the sensor(s)and keep getting SES light coming on with the same code for secondary O2 sensor.
This problem has been going on for over a year now with MAP replaced, O2 sensors (both) replaced secondary 3 times. New plugs, new muffler, etc. Every time the dealer will find something else they can charge me for and my indy mechanic has done everything possible over and over for very minor cost or free.
Dealer has cost me over $1,100 in diagnoses and repair.
Now light comes on everyday (after 30 miles or so). read code check, resistance, wiring, voltage, etc. reset code and do it all over at the shop the next day.
Anybody want to buy a Mini?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:14 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ejo
What happens when you replace the sensor(s)and keep getting SES light coming on with the same code for secondary O2 sensor.
This problem has been going on for over a year now with MAP replaced, O2 sensors (both) replaced secondary 3 times. New plugs, new muffler, etc. Every time the dealer will find something else they can charge me for and my indy mechanic has done everything possible over and over for very minor cost or free.
Now light comes on everyday (after 30 miles or so). read code check, resistance, wiring, voltage, etc. reset code and do it all over at the shop the next day.
If the sensor keeps tripping, maybe it is actually sensing something. Perhaps your catalytic converter is done.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:32 AM
dw1
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@ejo: +1 on the cat & another thing to consider, is the car using or in particular burning any oil? I would suggest doing a compression and leak down check to see if there is the potential of blowby that would be contaminating the O2 sensor.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
ejo
Neutral
Did that done that

Andyroo and DW1 thanks
Cat has been replaced already. If it was the Cat there would be a different code.
Intake smoke test was done by Dealer with passing results as were both sensors following Mini test procedures, although downstream sensor replacement was recommended. (done so)
No oil burning, perfect compression. (This is a woman's car) No leak down test warranted but will keep that in mind.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ejo
So who is resetting the light the indy or the dealer?

If they're not resetting the fuel adaptives with a factory reset tool the post code 02 sensor code will not go away. I sure hope your sensors are NTK because everything else is pretty much junk.

If the light will still not go away you need to have the car smoked to find out what's leaking air. These care are pretty much a pain in the ***, but with the wrong person working on them they will be an even bigger pain in the ***.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 AM
ejo
Neutral
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
So who is resetting the light the indy or the dealer?
Dealer 3 times and indy 8 times in the last year My dealer isn't around the corner, it costs me a full day taking the car there hence I also use a local shop.

If they're not resetting the fuel adaptives with a factory reset tool the post code 02 sensor code will not go away.
I assume dealer knows that and has done that (as does my shop).
I sure hope your sensors are NTK because everything else is pretty much junk.
Number 1 was Mini dealer supplied, don't know what kind. Current one my shop changed is NKT. Had NGK & Bosch (junk?) but currently a Nippo on order for next week install

If the light will still not go away you need to have the car smoked to find out what's leaking air. These care are pretty much a pain in the ***, but with the wrong person working on them they will be an even bigger pain in the ***.
As mentioned car was smoked at dealer last week and passed with flying colors

Last edited by ejo; 12-18-2015 at 05:08 AM. Reason: forgot word
Old 12-18-2015, 05:13 AM
ejo
Neutral
Light never comes on the same day, which could involve 60+ miles of spirited driving. It isn't until she sits overnight (completely cooled down) than after about 2 miles the SES light comes back on. It doesn't matter if it is 70deg F in the morning or 25deg F it still is in about 2 miles. I mention the temps because it takes longer to get up to full operating temp.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Jeff Wallen
1st Gear
Actually really happy to see you reopened this thread! Otherwise I would have had to!

Folks, I just got a real deal on my second Gen1 Mini. This time, a 2005 Cooper S. One owner and it has only 28k on it! Amazing right?!

Anyway, day two with the car and BINGO the SES light come on. I stopped off at the local autozone and had them check the code, yep, O2 sensor it is!

So, do I bother with the dealer or just swap it out myself? If I do swap it myself, what is the best brand to go with? Thanks all! Happy to be back in a mini R53!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
If you just bought it from a dealer don't they give you a warranty to cover the car for 30 days at least? Or was it as is?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Jeff Wallen
1st Gear
Yeah, it was as-is sale. But worth it. The inside is like a 11 year old time capsule. Showroom new. The exterior is pretty great too in fact, just need new wheels first thing. I worked on my 2006 a lot so I know my way around the ride too.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:49 AM
ejo
Neutral
O2 sensor code

Jeff from what I understand per the federal government an O2 sensor must be good for 100,000 miles (no matter how old the car is) There was also a recall on the Mini O2 sensors.
As for brand I used them all without results.
Update; there was a code for No.3 misfire which of course causes incomplete fuel burn which causes the secondary O2 sensor to send a code. This happened once before and the dealer replaced the spark plugs. (material cost $82.30 for 4 which is outrageous labor was on top of that)
I was advised to run it for a couple of weeks and see if I get any other codes during that time.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:05 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wallen
Actually really happy to see you reopened this thread! Otherwise I would have had to!

Folks, I just got a real deal on my second Gen1 Mini. This time, a 2005 Cooper S. One owner and it has only 28k on it! Amazing right?!

Anyway, day two with the car and BINGO the SES light come on. I stopped off at the local autozone and had them check the code, yep, O2 sensor it is!

So, do I bother with the dealer or just swap it out myself? If I do swap it myself, what is the best brand to go with? Thanks all! Happy to be back in a mini R53!
NTK makes the O2 Sensors for Mini so go with Mini OEM or NTK. NTK are usually $50 cheaper than OEM. The problem with going to the dealer for warranty replacement is that if they find any damage to the O2 Sensor wires they will not warranty the replacement and you are stuck with the Dealer large price for the sensors and labor. Also the CES light must be on when at the dealer. I was actually on my way to the dealer and my light reset (went off). I went back home and replaced the sensors myself. I found the insulation damaged on one of the sensors so I am so glad I never made it to the dealer. It is common that the wire is damaged because of the metal clips that hold the wires and the routing of the wires around the exhaust heat shields.

I am going to send you a PM about sensors.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Jeff Wallen
1st Gear
Thanks for the info ejo! Quikmni, you dodged a spendy bullet there pal! I replied to your PM too. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2016, 04:02 PM
L3Mix
1st Gear
Ok so I took my mini into the dealer to get the warranty done and my SES light code is P0036. The dealer took a look at the code and said that it was due to a faulty post-cat sensor. However they told me that the extended 10 year warranty doesn't cover that issue even though I read that someone had an issue with the same post cat issue and said the dealer fulfilled the warranty. Isn't considered emissions because it has to deal with the cat? Anyway to talk them into fulfilling the warranty?

Now I'm paying $80 just for a check engine light diagnostic from them because theres no way I'll be paying $500 for a sensor to be replaced.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:32 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
What year and model is your car?
I believe Ox Sensors and Cat are part of emissions.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM
L3Mix
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quikmni
What year and model is your car?
I believe Ox Sensors and Cat are part of emissions.
2006 R53 Cooper S

Old 06-06-2016, 04:45 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Here is a link to a post with the actual letter attached to the post:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-04-06-a.html
Maybe show the letter to your dealer, they just might not remember the directive from Mini USA.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:47 PM
L3Mix
1st Gear
Here is a link to a post with the actual letter attached to the post:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-04-06-a.html
Maybe show the letter to your dealer, they just might not remember the directive from Mini USA.
Well they did tell me that there is an extended warranty for O2 sensors and my car is eligible for it, but said that my particular code isn't covered by it which I thought was strange since other people had the same issue and had theirs covered.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:06 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
P0036 is associated with the heater portion of the sensor. The letter does not exclude any specific function of the sensor from the warranty so I would think they have to honor the warranty. However, it could be that they know that the heater is not the normal fault and that usually that heater fault is caused by a non warranty issue such as a damaged wire.
I would ask them specifically why the sensor is not covered by the extended warranty.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:37 PM
L3Mix
1st Gear
P0036 is associated with the heater portion of the sensor. The letter does not exclude any specific function of the sensor from the warranty so I would think they have to honor the warranty. However, it could be that they know that the heater is not the normal fault and that usually that heater fault is caused by a non warranty issue such as a damaged wire.
I would ask them specifically why the sensor is not covered by the extended warranty.
So the dealer told me that the p0036 code only goes under the 7 year warranty. Even though when i called 888-ask-mini they said I'm elligble for the 10 year warranty under that code. Have no clue what to do now.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:37 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Call Mini USA Customer Service and ask them to talk to the dealership.
Or go to a different dealership.
I hate the Mini dealerships. I have replaced thermostat, engine mount, and ox sensors that could have been covered under warranty just so I did not have to deal with the dealerships. My closest dealer is 2 hours away.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:43 AM
ejo
Neutral
O2 sensor warranty has nothing to do with Mini

Please be advised that O2 sensors are warranted under federal law not just the manufacturers. If your Suzuki or Rolls Royce mounted OEM O2 sensor fails it must be replaced under Federal Law. If your code tells the dealer to replace an O2 sensor than it falls under that Law.
Now of course as with any warranty it only covers materials (and not labor)
Good luck.
ps. I did, and had replaced my O2 sensor(s) 4 times and SES is still on after 38K miles. The car runs great so I gave up. Dealer and repair shop all say something different but as long as you are willing to spend several thousand dollars they can fix it.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 PM
L3Mix
1st Gear

So just came back from the dealer after they did the check engine diagnostics for the warranty and man now they're saying all of this stuff ensuring that i don't get to use my extended warranty. It seems like they really don't want to get the warranty done lol.