Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How do I restet sensor code for bad O2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
walls
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I restet sensor code for bad O2 sensor?

OK, so I replaced the front(pre-cat) O2 sensor based on repair shop diagnosis

P0031: Heated oxygen sensor, heating circuit, bank 1, before catalytic converter, input low.

Now I still get the SES loght on, and the Texas inspection station says it still fails the emissions test because the code is not cleared.

So how do I reset the code?

Desparate to pass inspection to clear up texas hiway violation(Ticket)

Ric.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The code can be cleared with a scan tool. If the repair shop is close, take it back to the repair shop to clear the code because it should only take a minute to clear the code.

I think you may be able to disconnect the battery to remove the codes. I am not sure how long it must be disconnected. I would try 10 minutes.

Maybe the code is on because the problem was not fixed.

I am not sure what year is your Mini, but through 2006 there is a recent warranty extension to 10 years/100,000 miles for the Ox Sensor because of problems. You should be able to get Mini to reimburse you for the repair cost.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 PM
walls
Neutral
repair shop to clear codes

I'm trying to save $$. The shop did a scan for free, said it was the O2 sensor. I replaced the sensor, now they want $40 to scan again and clear the codes. Good shop, but they are really busy. I did try to leave the battery disconnected for about 20 min, and had the +cable shorted to GND during that time (disconnected from the battery of course) but no luck.

I replaced with a direct replacement walker O2 sensor. Price was right, so I hope I didn't just waste $100+ on this. My wife is killing me on this, now wants to sell the car.....

I was looking for a way to just cheeply reset all the codes.

Ric.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
I believe that the P0031 code is a generic (not BMW specific) code that you should be able to clear with any generic ODB-II code reader. You can purchase a generic reader for around $50 or maybe you have a friend with a code reader that can clear the code for you. However, I have a cheap $40 reader that does not always read/clear the codes on all cars and I have never used it on the Mini. I have a Mini specific scan/reset tool (Peake R5/EMX) that works great on the Mini but it is $120.

Where do you live? Maybe you can post a request on NAM for a local Mini person to help you clear the code. Many people on NAM have a code scan/reset tool. It is a couple minute job. I would be glad to clear the code if you happen to live near Santa Maria, CA.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
walls
Neutral
I really appreciate the offer, but I live in Austin Tx. I think I am going to bite the bullet and have the shop read/reset the code in the morning. I hate to think I may have wasted my efforts so far on the Walker sensor.

You knkow i'm not convinced the sensor I removed was original. I have an '04 with 106K miles. I have had the ESE light on for the better part of a year. I have noticed a drom in gas milage and a litter pooror performance in teh past several months. After I put the new one in I do notice petter performance, and better overall response. The sensor I took out was not very tight. It was an NTK 0872674/L-FLO.

I had hoped there was a back door method in resetting like shorting out 2 or 3 specific contacts in the connector for the diag computer. Some old GM cars had this feature before most shops had the diag computers.

Thanks,

Ric.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Yea, the old OBD-I systems (1995 and prior) could be shorted.
Sorry you have to spend more money to reset the code.
You could try to borrow a reader from a local auto parts store to read the code and then reset the code. You will probably need to provide a deposit to borrow the scan tool.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
MarkD
1st Gear
a reader can't set codes... only reads the OBDII codes.

You can get the code to set yourself but you really need a reader to know when the codes show "ready". Readers can be found for <$100 or borrowed.

Disconnecting battery ususally sets all OBDII codes to "not ready".

More on the OBDII drive cycle required to have all of the OBDII codes set here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1285660
This is a "BMW" Drive Cycle but most all OBD II cars are very similar. Or you can just drive... an the monitors should all go "ready".

Older (pre-1996) OBD-I cars don't have to worry about any of this.

Last edited by MarkD; 09-04-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM
walls
Neutral
THanks to all who replied. I scraped up the cash and had the shop reset the code. THere were a bunch of secondary things that I wanted the code definitions as well. Like I said, I really trust this shop, the guys are really good. I was able to pass the state inspection, YEA!

Just to let you guys know the O2 sensor I used was a Walker from OxygenSensors.com. This replacement was all wired up with the proper connector, and price at $112.58 was a real deal.

I think I will invest in a reader that can also reset the codes as well.

Thanks,

Ric.

Last edited by walls; 09-05-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: controll characters embedded
Old 09-05-2009, 03:37 PM
MarkD
1st Gear
Good deal, congrats!

An OBDII code reader cannot set Readiness Codes to "Ready".
It can reset (clear) various codes that pop up.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bavarian Technics has a piece of software for a PC and a cable you can use to reset any code on the MINI. It costs about $287 for the kit but you only have to buy it once. It's that or go to the dealer and get them to reset it. http://www.bavariantechnic.com/ . I have 2 MINI's and had an issue with the O2 sensors on one about 10 months ago. They were very helpful making sure the software did every thing I needed.