Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Noise while car is off in accessory

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
WickedStylz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise while car is off in accessory

Hey all,

My wife has a 2003 MCS and there is a wierd grinding/rattling noise coming from the front underside of her car. I thought it was something to do with the tranny or something down there. It seemed to go away when you were driving at higher speeds, but now it seems like that is not the case. Tonight, she comes home and shows me the sound now happens while the car is in the accessory mode too. No engine on and the rattly/grinding noise is present. Can someone help me out? I searched in the forums here and I found very few results.. considering a noise could be anything, but this is wierd... with the car off? Some sort of pump?

HELP!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
WickedStylz
1st Gear
Thanks for the info OXY... I put the car up and looked underneath and was unable to produce the sound of course. Put her back down, drove it, ran it a bit hard, and kept the Air on... Put her back up and viola!!! Fan was spinning but clanky.

I read the post you linked and did a little more research and found this one too (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/164107-cheap-fix-for-blown-ps-fan.html The fan was still turning it was just a loud screeching noise. So I decided, since i have to get a new fan, lets take this bad boy apart! It was a bit of a pain to take apart, but it did come apart.. When I opened it, all kinds of black shavings of "stuff" came out. Maybe the magnets that surrounded the wire coils.. Not sure. I took it completely apart, cleaned it. Checked the bushings on the motor, <broke part of the magnet>, put it all back together and hooked her up. Oddly it worked! and not only did it work, it didn't even make a noise!!! The Motor was working like a champ, even though it was partly broke.

You guys think I should still get a new one, or go with the rigged fan? I don't want the car to spontaneously combust but then again, its just a fan..

Any thoughts? Wing it or get a new one?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd at least pick up another and have it on standby.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
WickedStylz
1st Gear
I was thinking the same thing... Guess i will go out and spend the dollars.