Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

water on passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009 | 10:47 PM
tickle
|
1st Gear
water on passenger floorboard

As I was working on the new deck for my ride, my installation required running some wires under the passenger seat. When I pulled up the carpet, I found a puddle of water on the floorboard (near the center console, passenger side - yes, it was water, I tasted it ). Does anyone have a clue where this would come from.

1. There are no holes on the floor board.
2. There has been no rain for weeks
3. I did complete a three hour drive, the previous night - A/C was on the entire trip.

Based on what I have read, this is probably condensation - but isn't there a drain for the condensation (out of the engine compartment)? I cannot find the drain plug to see if it clogged. Where is it?

Any help on this would be great.

If you are in Sacramento and solve my problem - I will gladly treat you to a nice dinner!!!

Old 09-13-2009 | 11:09 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
The drain may be plugged. It is under the car, you can see it poking out next to the exhaust tunnel heat shield.

Old 09-13-2009 | 11:42 PM
tickle
|
1st Gear
Thanks Rick - any suggestions on how to purge or clean it?

Old 09-14-2009 | 12:20 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
A length of solid core wire (not a coat hangar) or maybe a quick burst of 30psi or so of compressed air if you have access to it.

You need to open up the heater box and clean out the garbage if it really is that packed.

Old 09-14-2009 | 05:51 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
if you have a wet vac you can just cup the hose over the end with your hand and that will probably suck out any clog. while you are playing in this area it is a good time to pop out the cabin filter for a look see....

first time I checked mine:
Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  24.8 KB
yes, the dealer IS supposed to check this item . . .

Old 10-17-2009 | 01:08 AM
HICooper
1st Gear
I a have similar problem

Our 2005 Cooper developed a puddle in the passenger side footwell which got into the Body Control Module and associated wiring, which in turn made the right headlight high beam come on and drain the battery. According to our dealer, the A/C condensate drain hose had been struck or hit by something, bent upwards and kinked. I haven't put eyes-on yet, but from the description it sounds similar to your problem. Can you tell me if there is in fact a flex hose, and is it possible for something to bounce off the road and strike it causing it to bend and kink? We have an after market warranty, but the dealer doesn't think the $3000 parts & labor will be covered, and suggested we try our Insurance Co. as well.

Old 10-24-2009 | 06:07 PM
klass6
Neutral
Wet carpet and underlay

I have done a bit of research on this and it seems there are two likely sources of water accumulation under the floor. First is a/c condensate, which does not drain properly if the drainage path is blocked. Second is similar blockage or damage to the drainage tubes from the sun roof...there is one on each side. The root problems are easily dealt with...the consequences of the water accumulation is more serious; either a very expensive cleanup with a chance of damage to sensitive electronic components and rust and corrosion of the floor, and/or even more insidious, the build-up of mold inside the car. This mold build-up can produce serious allergic and infectious complications in human lungs. Because most people (and their doctors!) are unaware of this possible cause of allergic lung disease, my impression is that much can be done to alert the public to this under-reported, potentially serious problem.

Old 10-24-2009 | 06:36 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
There's a third...

and that is the weatherstipping at the front edge of the door.

Also, Way at Way Motor Works has some really good stuff for dealing with the mold. Give him a call to get more details.

Matt

Old 10-24-2009 | 06:52 PM
klass6
Neutral
re mold

How did you twig onto the potential mold problem?

Old 10-25-2009 | 01:07 AM
HICooper
1st Gear
Just to let all know, the repair work (parts & labor) was covered by our comprehensive auto insurance. It included new body control module, carpet, and condensate drain hose. Guess what part cost the most?

Carpet!

Old 01-03-2010 | 01:54 PM
stonger
Neutral
I believe it is the sunroof drains which are my problem,the passenger side foot well was full of water and I could see it dripping in at the front of the door and side .. where is the sunroof drain, should i simply open the roof and push a hard wire through it??

Old 01-03-2010 | 03:46 PM
klass6
Neutral
Finding sun roof drain

Open the sun roof and look at the forward most corners ( left and right) of the gutter that the sliding roof fits into when closed for small oval shaped openings. I am not sure how to find the lower openings. The two problems are either blockage or actual breakage of the tubes. I'd take it to the dealer and ask them to show you how to clear the tubes out.
After much struggle, I was able to get BMW central to acknowledge their liability for the mess that the blocked or broken drains can cause....ie they paid for the remediation.

Old 01-03-2010 | 04:59 PM
stonger
Neutral
I am pretty sure the drain tube is either broken/clogged or disconnected. I plan on calling the local Mini dealer tomorrow (I live on an Island and not easy to get to one) and see if they can send me a picture of how to take apart the pillar cover..or I might have to take a day off and visit them.

Old 01-03-2010 | 06:02 PM
klass6
Neutral
Good luck.

Old 01-03-2010 | 09:16 PM
proppjones
1st Gear
leakage issue

I've got an 06 with a sun-roof i too discovered water on the passenger side. It was in the spring of 09 - I thought it was just excess snow and water from boots. The Standing water set off the seat-belt warning lights and developed mold. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the headliner-floor covering and most important replaced the drainage tubes (both sides ) of the sun roof and attached cable ties to each end of the tubes to secure them - the Service Rep said that thawing freezing could have possibly popped the tube out. they tend to come loose.
It's all good so far.
Good luck -

Old 01-05-2010 | 03:13 PM
stonger
Neutral
Thanks for the comments. I took off the cover to see if I could see the tubes but they must be inside the pillar? My headliner was pretty soaked. I am going to slide a wire down the tube to see if it is blocked. At this point it is not a warranty item so trying to resolve on my own.Do I have to take down the liner to get at the tubes?

Old 01-05-2010 | 08:12 PM
proppjones
1st Gear
I was looking in my bentley Service manual and also my Invoice for the work that was done to repair the leaking tubes- the A pillar molding were removed and the bentley book says they are destroyed in the process. also there are cautions about air bags? - There little straps holding the A pillars which apparently must be cut -(carefully)

From what I've read and i haven't tried it yet removing the head liner is a two person job. the service guy said mine wasn't blocked but came loose- I did have a similar problem on a subaru and I stuck a stiff wire down the tubes and every thing was cool. But i bet the MINI is more delicate?

this is from another forum (The sunroof drain is not attached to the sunroof cassette allowing water to drip down the A- pillar into the carpet. Unfortunately the water passes through some major wire connectors and the fuse holder before it soaks into the carpet. Hopefully your technician will inspect for water damaged components. The mention of a mold/mildew allergy should resolve your carpet replacement issue.)

I wish you the best. and i hope your leak is fixed.

Old 01-06-2010 | 04:03 PM
stonger
Neutral
well it appears the little flimsy rubber down tube from the roof to the Apillar drain tube was not properly connected causing all water to pour onto the headliner. I had to remove the Apillar cover,easily removed but there are to clips with screws on them that have to be removed then the cover comes off. Then remove the mirror and grab handle and the trim around the sun roof and gingerly lower the headliner enough to get your hands in, but be careful as the liner will easily bend. Reconnect the rubber tube and I used zip ties to to make sure it does not come off .Mini this is a simply fix at the factory, put some pressure clips on the tubes and this problem should be resolved. Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Old 01-07-2010 | 08:51 AM
flingger
4th Gear
Or, you can have a negligent dealership, Desert MINI, leave all four drains off and then deny leaving them off. The result, wet car that your insurance company TOTALS...which I am dealing with right now. F'ing drains.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ns-to-you.html

Old 01-07-2010 | 09:24 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Not just a MINI problem either....

We have an '04 Audi Allroad, my wife noticed a small stain on the headliner on the right front corner - it's under warranty so we took it to Audi which had to replace the right drain tube. According to the SA, they get a little dust/dirt in them, then a little moisture and the next thing you know you have a mud clog.

Moral of the story, blow them out once a year or so, I guess......

That's also partly why my '09 Clubman S does not have a sunroof....