Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Lock Issues

Hey I know there are a few threads, but my problem seems to be a bit different.

Here it is...about 54k miles (I have 71k now) my driver side would not lock with the toggle, nor lock with the key. I suspected the actuator to be bad. Well, I just replaced it.

Everything else worked fine, the passenger side locks/unlocks with both the toggle and key fob, as well as the hatch.

Now, after replacing my driver side actuator, my MINI is a mess!

Key Fob:

Outside of vehicle: unlocks both doors, and hatch. Does NOT lock anything
Inside of vehicle: unlocks both doors, and hatch. Does SOMETIMES lock everything.

I tried this with both key fobs, both do the same thing.

Toggle Switch:

The toggle switch (before I replaced the actuator) unlocked and locked everything minus the driver side. Now, the toggle will unlock everything, but will not lock anything. The lock-function does not work, at ALL.

I need help please, before I have to take this into the dealer...I don't understand why it would work before, and not now.

Edit* Did some more testing...I tried the key fob again, and everything worked like it should! Then it stopped. :( When I manually insert my key into the tumbler, everything will unlock, sometimes only the driver door will lock, and sometimes everything will lock. Back in the car, I disconnected the actuator, and tried my toggle again. It worked just like before, locked everything except the driver door. Well, that was short-lived too...after a few locks, that stopped working as well.

So, I tried resetting the lock. I held down on the toggle for 10sec and tried it again, and it worked. It locked everything minus the driver door (actuator is still disconnected). Well, then it stopped working again....seems to be a cycle. I'm thinking there must be a short or something. Well, I tried connecting the actuator again, and now the toggle does not lock anything, but it still unlocks everything.

I'm so confused...I guess I'm going to have to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I really don't have any money to throw into this car...

-Cody

Last edited by polizei; 10-19-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
westernfb
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cody,

I'm having a similar problem with my 2004. My passenger door lock suddenly stopped functioning properly. I can't unlock it with the key, the remote, or the toggle. Is the actuator difficult to replace? Do you know of a how-to posting available through this forum?

Frank

Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Theres a how-to:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...276-post8.html

It took me about half a day to install it, but I ran into some other problems, so yours might vary...Simply put, it was a major pain to replace, if I had to do it again, I'd probably rather pay the dealer to do it. It sounds like me you need a new actuator. You can get one from here:

http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/51_21_4_416_272.cfm

The passenger side it easier to replace than the driver side, because on the drivers side, you need to also take off the door handle. I'm not sure, I replaced the driver side...

And to update my post: My MINI is fine now. I'm assuming from listening to the radio, and fooling around with the key fob and toggle, it drained my battery low enough to effect the car. After driving my car, re-charging the battery, and re-setting the ECU, everything works flawlessly now. Hope that helps.

ECU Reset:

1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button with one hand, while holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1 (first click) with the other hand.
2. The screen will have a number and the word “tESt”.
3. Scroll through the numbers by pressing the odometer rest button, through to 19 and wait a moment. (Note: the number order is: 1,2,10,19)
4. The message will say 19 "L i-off", flash to "L i-on", and back to "L i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press the odometer rest button again. You are now in the system.
5. Scroll through to 21. tESt and wait a moment. 21.0 rESEt will come up. Press the button once.
6. Your gauges will now make some sounds and movements. Once the lights come back on start your car. You have now reset your ECU and your MINI is now ready to relearn the new mods and your driving style.
-Cody

Last edited by polizei; 10-31-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 AM
westernfb
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cody,

Thanks for the guidance! I wonder if I should have also mentioned that, when I unlock the passenger door the only way I can (manually, from the inside), the lock post pops up like it is supposed to. Then, when I try to lock the door using the key fob or toggle, it drops down like it is supposed to, and the door is locked. It appears that it is just UN-locking that is the problem. Does that, in your opinion, still sound like a faulty actuator? My local MINI garage (Towson, MD) wants around $375 to replace the actuator. I would like to see them offer a discount for this repair, given that the problem is so common and almost predictable.

Frank

Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Frank,

I would think so. When my driver side went out, it wouldn't unlock, or lock...but sounds the same to me. If you feel handy, you might want to take the door off and make sure everything is connected correctly before you take it to the dealer. Some people have complained of a cable coming loose, but the actual actuator itself is fine...I would look into that first.

-Cody

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
amerrill428
Neutral
Ok,try this one on for size:
Today I picked up my 03 Mini (non-s) from having a new clutch release bearing, clutch and pressure plate replaced. I go to unlock the door with the fob and... nothing from the driver side lock. And all is well with the hatch and passenger side. The key will manually unlock it, but the remote no longer will lock or unlock the driver's door. Does anyone know of anything the mechanic could have hit while he was replacing the transmission parts? It was working fine before, so I don't know that it would be the actuator unless they could have caused a short? I also noticed that my cigarette lighter is no longer working.

Any suggestions?

Thank you kindly

Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM
SFPhoto
2nd Gear
Same problem

Same problem here too. Do I need to do a reset for the fobs or battery or ?

Originally Posted by amerrill428
Ok,try this one on for size:
I go to unlock the door with the fob and... nothing from the driver side lock. And all is well with the hatch and passenger side. The key will manually unlock it, but the remote no longer will lock or unlock the driver's door.