Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2010 Clubby S died

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009 | 10:13 AM
MZL
2nd Gear
Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya;
Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya;
Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya,
O Lord, kum bay ya.

Old 11-30-2009 | 10:35 AM
dvhone
3rd Gear
I got mine back over a week ago. So far so good (starts up fine everytime, instead struggling to idle and/or stalling). They replaced the HPFP (for the 2nd time), and didn't say aword about "bad gas".

Old 12-09-2009 | 06:16 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
I still enjoy reading about MINI's but will admit to you all the quote from above struck home with me.

"And general lesson: It is ill-advised to consider buying a new car under warranty if the dealer is not a reasonable distance away. Why? Because stuff happens and long distances just make the problems unworkable."

My nearest MINI dealer is 2 1/2hrs away is why I purchased a second Mazda MX-5 Miata...first one; a '99 with 110k+ miles including autocross, several track days and daily driving...with no breakdowns whatsover. My 2008 with its Power Retractable Hard Top is another winner...but my dealer is 1/2 mile away if ever needed.

I test drove a new MCS a couple of years ago and loved it...but because of the many documented reliability and maintenance/service issues..was not comfortable with my nearest warranty help so far away.

I truly hope BMW/Mini can improve the reliabiilty of MINI products; there is a rumor floating locally of perhaps a new MINI dealership.....absent the maintenance issues, I'd like to own one someday.

Old 12-09-2009 | 06:56 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miata13
I still enjoy reading about MINI's but will admit to you all the quote from above struck home with me.

"And general lesson: It is ill-advised to consider buying a new car under warranty if the dealer is not a reasonable distance away. Why? Because stuff happens and long distances just make the problems unworkable."

My nearest MINI dealer is 2 1/2hrs away is why I purchased a second Mazda MX-5 Miata...first one; a '99 with 110k+ miles including autocross, several track days and daily driving...with no breakdowns whatsover. My 2008 with its Power Retractable Hard Top is another winner...but my dealer is 1/2 mile away if ever needed.

I test drove a new MCS a couple of years ago and loved it...but because of the many documented reliability and maintenance/service issues..was not comfortable with my nearest warranty help so far away.

I truly hope BMW/Mini can improve the reliabiilty of MINI products; there is a rumor floating locally of perhaps a new MINI dealership.....absent the maintenance issues, I'd like to own one someday.
I'm not sure what you're reading that displays minis as "problematic" but I assure you that every car has some issues and though the mini is not without it's fair share, it's more the exception than the rule.

I've had 4 minis and 2 miatas (2) '95's, one with a supercharged 306 and the other with just a supercharger) and I love those cars, fun and a blast to drive. (just wish I had taken one to the track)

I do respect the fact that you wouldn't want to drive 2-3 hours to your nearest dealer, regardless of the brand.

Mark

Old 12-10-2009 | 08:04 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
I wanted a MINI bad enough to take the chance of traveling nearly three hours to find a Dealer.

Never once needed to return (performed two 'DIY' Oil Service with Dealer Oil & Filters).

Now MINI has just opened a New Local MINI Dealership and they will soon perform the Two Year free service program for me.

Old 01-18-2010 | 07:17 PM
Fire Capt
|
1st Gear
Well here I am posting again about my dead Mini, I started this thread Oct 11th with a clubby that died (less than 500 miles on it). Mini fixed it (took 2 times) it drove fine up until today.

Car has 1999 miles on it and it started sputtering then lost power and died in the middle of the road leaving me and my 10yr old stranded on the side of the road, we waited for a little over an hour for the tow truck to take it to Scottsdale (150 Miles away).

I guess I will wait and see what the problem is, I can say I'm really unhappy with the Mini so far.

Old 01-18-2010 | 08:38 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Given your distance from the dealer and my own experiences with Mini's less than stellar reliability, I'd be getting rid of it right about now.

The last straw and all that...

Old 01-19-2010 | 10:06 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fire Capt
Well here I am posting again about my dead Mini, I started this thread Oct 11th with a clubby that died (less than 500 miles on it). Mini fixed it (took 2 times) it drove fine up until today.

Car has 1999 miles on it and it started sputtering then lost power and died in the middle of the road leaving me and my 10yr old stranded on the side of the road, we waited for a little over an hour for the tow truck to take it to Scottsdale (150 Miles away).

I guess I will wait and see what the problem is, I can say I'm really unhappy with the Mini so far.
Will this qualify for the Lemon Law in AZ?? I'd be looking into it right about now.

I'm really sorry MINI hasn't stepped up to the plate on this one!! Also sorry for your adventure on the side of the road...just awful!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 01-19-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2010 | 11:27 AM
sequence
6th Gear
300 miles to a dealer out west is nothing, but then I think many posters are easterners with the perception that is a long distance.

Well, you could be a Montana MINI owner that has the choice of 1) Salt Lake City (Murray) UT, 2) Tacoma WA, 3) Denver CO or WHOA 4) Minneapolis MN?

Or even better, Anchorage or Fairbanks AK? Seems to me MINI should have a certified mechanic or two at BMW dealerships in these far-reaching places.

I thought about applying for a job in Missoula MT last year, but declined when I found out that MINIs with issues have to get flat-bedded all the way to Tacoma for service. Yikes!

Old 01-19-2010 | 11:33 AM
sequence
6th Gear

This is not a car you should keep. I'd research AZ lemon laws and get rid of that thing; it'll be nothing but trouble down the road.

General rule of thumb for keeping a new car:

No (or very few minor) mechanical problems in the first 30K = keeper
Many mechanical problems in the first 30K (my 2005 MCS) = you're crazy to keep it

keep us posted.

Old 01-19-2010 | 02:04 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
This bad gas excuse is a complete joke. My uncle has a Z4 and uses all kinds of brands of gas -- he's never had a problem from day 1. I know plenty of people with high performance cars who get premium gas from many different brands without a hitch.

Sorry MINI, you need to come up with better excuses.

Old 01-19-2010 | 02:15 PM
Headlands
4th Gear
FireCapt -- I feel your pain. My MINI is a piece of junk, too, though it hasn't left me stranded. I resent MINI, my car, and the whole experience right now.

If you can do the Lemon Law thing, then by all means do it. I can't invoke the Lemon Law because my problems don't keep the car from operating, but this MINI of mine has proven to be as well made as a Dodge so far in many ways, and I only have 1300 miles on it.

My confidence in the car is gone and I really want to return it, but I can't. You probably can, so do it!

Last edited by Headlands; 01-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2010 | 02:19 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Sorry about your misfortune.

The good thing is that you and your son are okay. Once, my brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee died at night, while in the middle lane of a busy (read fast moving) 3 lane interstate. We were able to limp it to the side of the road after cutting off seveal people (no one understands hazard lights) and then finally coming to a stop at a weird spot where people merge on and off the highway at speed. Needless to say, I was petrified someone not paying attention would plow into us. My whole family was in the car.

As you probablly know, it's not worth risking life/limb, ESPECIALLY in a tiny MINI where taking a hit in an SUV is far different than taking a hit in a Mini Cooper.

Call it a day if they can't produce a "burnt" or "broken" part that, without a shadow of a doubt, caused the engine failure.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2010 | 12:32 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
Fire Capt sounds like this dealer is a little in over their head and just doesnt understand how to properly go through and diagnose a car. sounds to me like there is an underlying problem that is yet to be discovered and they are just treating the symptom and not the problem. I would take it back to the dealer and see what they say this time. If they do not want to take responsibility for it I would contact MINI USA and take it to a different dealer.

Definitely check into the Lemon Law and see what you can do from there. If nothing I'd be going to another dealer that has no idea what is going on with the vehicle. hopefully they will treat the problem and not the symptom.

It is like a bad doctor. Some doctors treat symptoms. Good doctors treat problems by looking at the symptoms. Good Luck

Old 01-20-2010 | 12:37 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
What is your build date? I think we need to start recording heavily problematic cars and their build date to try and determine if there is a pattern. With the economy in shambles and the issues with production that MINI was having last year I would say there is a bad batch of MINIs out there. If I were to buy an R56 etc MINI it would be a mid build 08 if I could find one. That year seems to be to be the least problematic year for the R56 model MINI. Just like I have read late build 04 and 06 models are some of the better for the R53.

Just a thought to help MINI purchasers.

Old 01-20-2010 | 01:09 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE

I've had good luck with Scottsdale Mini (on HPFP replaced ASAP, they offered to tow it back to Prescott too). Maybe they'll lemon it for you if you say pretty please. I've never heard of them mistreating customers in warranty issues the way some other dealers have. Good luck, it's no fun having car troubles 150 miles from the dealer. They will send the car back if it's over 100 miles free of charge.

Old 01-20-2010 | 01:52 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ksminiman
Just like I have read late build 04 and 06 models are some of the better for the R53.
They are (well 05's and 06's)..but sadly you will still run into a failed power steering pump and mushrooming front shock towers.

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:56 PM
Fire Capt
|
1st Gear
Well the saga begins...

This time my service experience was great probably because of the trouble they gave me the last time. This time he offered a rental right away but I declined as we didn't know when the car would come back and I'm leaving for Haiti on friday for the disaster relief.

During my phone call with the SM I asked about the AZ lemon law and he said I don't qualify "yet" I found that they need to fix the car 4 times within 24k miles or they have to have the car for 30 days total. If I have any other problems I am going to an AZ Lemon Law attorney and I'll see what can be done, but I really like the car it's COOOOOL but I can't have it being a cool piece of ****

This time the issue was the HPFP again and a control board, the paperwork said they checked the ethanol content and it said "about 10%" I informed him that ALL of my fuel reciepts were in the glove box and they are all from top tier chevron so Mini shouldn't have any fuel problems.

I guess I'll wait it out to see what happens, I'd really like to keep the car providing it's dependable.

Keep your fingers crossed

Fire

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:16 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
I'd really like to keep the car providing it's dependable.
I think you already have your answer, though you may not be inclined to accept it.

In any case, your car will be the last of your worries when you're in Haiti. Good luck and kudos for personally helping them out.

Old 01-27-2010 | 12:04 PM
ksminiman
3rd Gear
Well the saga begins...

This time my service experience was great probably because of the trouble they gave me the last time. This time he offered a rental right away but I declined as we didn't know when the car would come back and I'm leaving for Haiti on friday for the disaster relief.

During my phone call with the SM I asked about the AZ lemon law and he said I don't qualify "yet" I found that they need to fix the car 4 times within 24k miles or they have to have the car for 30 days total. If I have any other problems I am going to an AZ Lemon Law attorney and I'll see what can be done, but I really like the car it's COOOOOL but I can't have it being a cool piece of ****

This time the issue was the HPFP again and a control board, the paperwork said they checked the ethanol content and it said "about 10%" I informed him that ALL of my fuel reciepts were in the glove box and they are all from top tier chevron so Mini shouldn't have any fuel problems.

I guess I'll wait it out to see what happens, I'd really like to keep the car providing it's dependable.

Keep your fingers crossed

Fire
Now that is some progress. hopefully that control board will be the issue they should have fixed from the beginning and you and your Clubby can motor on for years to come problem free